[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Substitute for sleeping bags?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2665.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2665.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Poorfag here, I'm gonna go on a 5-day long trip to hike part of the Appalachian trail with some friends (who I will share a tent with). They all have good sleeping bags except me. All I have is these gargantuan excuses for sleeping bags. I've been recently wondering if I could just use a blanket instead. I don't think the summer nights on the trail would drop down further than 40-ish degrees (fahrenheit). If I can use a blanket that would keep me warm, and not take up as much space as my giant sleeping bags, that would be a lot better. I'm just wondering if it's possible to do that.
>>
If you are positive that it won't dip below 40 than just get a woobie.
>>
>>1007952
It all depends on who you are. Some people sleep super warm. Just bear in mind that it gets colder in the mountains even if they are the worn down Appalachians. I've made the mistake too many times of packing too light and paying for it with cold sleepless nights. It makes for miserable hiking the next day.

What you could do is cut your sleeping bag down into a quilt. If you bring two pairs of warm long johns (or even a onesie if that's what you got, you could get by with a blanket.

Definitely spend the $10 on a sleeping pad if you ain't got one. That will make a huge difference in warmth.
>>
>>1007952
There really isn't any point not to bring one, if it gets too hot just zip it down. Even if it doesn't dip below 40 the windchill might get to you. I've gone /out/ with just the same mentality with a blanket and froze my ass off, never was able to get to sleep.
>>
>>1008001
He's poor. He doesn't want to spend a lot.
>>
>>1008006
You can get 15 dollar sleeping bags at walmart
>>
>>1008007
Why though when you can get a woopie.
>>
>>1007952
I went without a sleeping bag while camping for over 40 years. I don't even know why you'd need one unless it was -40. I just use wool blankets. The worst I slept in was -15F.
>>
>>1007954
2nd for woobie. I have slept comfortable in the mid 40s with a woobie.
>>
>>1008010
You can get an 80% wool blanket at harbor freight for $10. They are super warm but heavy. Make sure you wash it a couple times though. Mine smelled like kerosene when I first got it.
>>
>>1008015
They're damned useful too. Got anything that works as a needle and thread, the possibilities are endless. I've found them most useful on long trips where I can settle in a bit.
>>
>>1007952
Silk cocoon sleeping bag liner
>>
>>1007952
Well take this into consideration.. When you see cattails seeding. Collect around 2 or 3 trashbag full of the unbroken seed. Works just like goose down. You can break them later right before you. Sew them
>>
>>1008020
what size do you prefer? Been thinking about switching my bag for a blanket. I have a nice twin alpaca but I'm thinking it's too small to be useful
>>
>>1008689
Size will be dependant on your build and to a very small extent the blanket thickness. I am 6'2" and chubby and my wool blanket for camping down to freezing temperatures is something like 74"x88" if I recall. Most people I hacr seen use a more rectangular shape but i find the extra wrapping to be nice to have.
Watch some videos on how to wrap yourself properly if you don't already know how. It makes a big difference. Don't skimp on the blanket but don't blow your wad either. I bought recycled alpaca fair trade and it was only like 40 bucks shipped. Super thick without being unmanageable, dense enough to withstand outdoor use, and quite pretty. My only kit with a sleeping bag anymore is my BOB. Overnight kit is blanket based and the INCH kit I'm developing for myself is as well.
>>
Costco package down throw. $20, easy to make one into a top quilt. Just sew in a footbox. There's dozens of places online to find people who have done the same. If it's going to get colder than like 45, just buy 2 and double them up. Rip the seams length wise to add a little loft.

Pro tip, 2 Costco down throws will pack into one of their stuff sacks.... Just takes a little effort but they will fit.

Also, a cheap top quilt is the snugpak hammock blanket. Meant for a hammock but works fine with a good sleeping pad on the ground. They're like $40, sometimes in sale for under $30.

A woobie, aka poncho liner would also work.

Definitely get a good sleeping pad.
>>
>>1007952
waffle top and blanket.
Fuck I love my waffle gear.
>>
>>1007954
This. Get it.
>>
>>1007954

I have a genuine us issue woobie and I gotta say, it does very little for me. Is this a meme?
>>
>>1013973
No. i reaserched the issue, asked arround, everyone loves theirs. You sure you have original? Also, I heard the older ones, in woodland camo, are better than new ones, in upc.
>>
>>1014585
Yeah it's go one of those military style info panels on it which match up to the pics of genuine ones online. It just doesn't seem to be that warm. The way people talk about them you'd think they sucked your dick, but mines not that thick and doesn't warm that much
>>
>>1008776
i hear a muffin top can be quite insulating as well
>>
>>1014585

Also do you actually own one or are you just going on meme-say
>>
>>1014632
I don't own one. Never heard about them untill 6 months ago. But I did ask personally ex-usarmy friends, and friends from my militia, so I base my opinions on people I know & respect in real life.

http://taskandpurpose.com/why-the-woobie-is-the-greatest-military-invention-ever-fielded/
>>
>>1007967
+1 for sleeping pad. Insulating yourself from the ground makes a much bigger difference than insulation from the air. Convection vs conduction, buddy. The earth makes for a pretty big heatsink.
>>
>>1008740
If he's a poorfag I highly doubt he has a costco membership..lel
>>
woobies are essentially sleeping bag material with a little bit of filler. That plus a sleeping pad would be good for the summer, but might not be warm enough if the temp dips
>>
>>1014645

Thanks, armchair expert
>>
>>1007952

If it's not too cold you can wear it like the vid. Skip to 3.05 and go with the cloak version. Did it last night and it was GOAT and max comfy. Also, forget about doing the pleats unless you have a giant blanket.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEmES4-7kvc&persist_app=1&app=m
>>
>>1014846
i'm a poorfag and i have a costco membership
i buy huge quantities of food and cook all my own meals, it's the most affordable way to eat healthy
>>
>>1014645

Fuck off then. People like you are the worst.
>>
>>1014585

>I asked around
>instant expert

Faggot
>>
>>1014846
You don't need a membership to buy one online. They also are available at quite a few other retailers.
>>
Somewhat off topic but I need a replacement bag/quilt and there was one particular brand everyone was raving about on here last year for around $200. Any hints on what that was called?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.