[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In my many /out/ings I collected cool rocks, and can identify

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: rocks.jpg (4MB, 3012x2004px) Image search: [Google]
rocks.jpg
4MB, 3012x2004px
In my many /out/ings I collected cool rocks, and can identify basic useful stuff like chert/flint. But i've come to the realization that I really don't know fuckall about rocks/minerals even though they play a huge part in this hobby and being educated about it could really add to or enrich the whole experience.

When I google things, look up books, or try to find answers on YT things tend to be focused on one thing too much, just plain bad, or I find myself watching a 30 part 1 hour long lecture course in geology filled with information I don't really need.

Does anyone know any good resources for someone who just want's to know what he is looking at? And how to identify what is valuable/useful and how to read the earth to possibly point me in the right direction to find things?
>>
I study geology but I'm afraid I can't remember a good source to quickly identify rocks and minerals. I learned with practice.

If you are interested in a basic book of general geology try Understanding Earth.

There are apps, for android at least, if you search for geology, that help you identify minerals and show you some pictures.

The facebook page: Amazing Geologist has a website with a lot of interesting things, some very basic about the types of rocks and minerals.

I believe the website geology.com is worth it.

These 2 sites are my best recommendations atm.

I hope you find what you are looking for there.

I'll come back if I come up with anything.
>>
>>1007643
Step one. They aren't rocks.they are minerals.
>>
>>1007925
t-thanks
>>
One thing that really helped me early on OP, was I bought several road side geology books for southern Utah. I studied them somewhat intensely, then when I went to Utah, I would stop and look at some of the rocks. Because I had studied the books, I already knew what type of rock I was going to be looking at before I even got there. This approach has worked pretty well for me with sedimentary and igneous rocks, but I still have a lot of trouble with metamorphic. There is also an very active geology club in my town, although I have only taken advantage of their expertise a few times. FOr mineral identification, you might try attending some mineral shows if there are any near you, or better yet, maybe a local museum or university has a mineral collection. I'm guessing a lot of curators or professors would like to show you their collections and talk to you about them as I doubt they often get the chance to show off their expertise to anybody.
>>
>>1008071

Same guy here OP.....just wanted to add, that at least for me, there is nothing better than holding a rock or mineral in my hands and knowing what it is to help me learn rock/mineral types. It's so much better than looking at photos in a book or on the internet.
>>
>>1007643
I took a bunch of Geology labs before switching majors in college. They gave us entire kits that tested hardness, cleavage, chemical comp, and what not. Half of the classes involved acidic squirts onto the rocks to figure out the exact composition of what was in it so I don't think you can I.D rocks by eye with just a few off the shelf books. But if you want, anyone could walk into the campus supply store and buy the kits that they gave us, at least on my campus they could so maybe you could go buy one at a local university.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.