[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking Shoes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

/out/ i need some help. Im in the market for new hiking shoes. I was looking at the ones in the pic attached. Can you guys tell if these are any good or recommend any good shoes?
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Sportiva-Mountaineering-Hiking-Black-Yellow/dp/B01K7QOVS8/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1493869104&sr=1-6&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=la%2Bsportiva&th=1
>>
la sportivas run narrow
>>
>>1007459
other then that are they good shoes?
>>
>>1007485
Yes they are.

These are pretty neat because they are some of the first to use Gore-Tex surround, allowing the bottom of your foot to breathe.
>>
>goretex
maybe, maybe not. what conditions/weather/environment are you going to be wearing them in?
>>
http://www.mckinley.eu/men/shoes/denali-mid-aqx-m-p153040
>>
>>1007527
>gore surround
Good for all conditions, about as good as a non membrane boot in humid conditions trust me senpai
Dont know about the memey nano cell tho
>>
File: 4973303RP_S17_2.png (125KB, 370x400px) Image search: [Google]
4973303RP_S17_2.png
125KB, 370x400px
>>1007447
I'm using these at the moment. Love them. A little narrow but they are light and comfy. I wasn't quite ready to jump on the trail runner wagon so these are a nice half way. Haglof Strive.
>>
File: IMG_5050.jpg (204KB, 1242x1096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5050.jpg
204KB, 1242x1096px
Are Salomons a meme? I have pic related coming in the mail and am hopping it will hold up for a good amount of time. This will be my first pair of outdoor shoes besides my Timberlands but obviously those are shit for hiking in. Would it be helpful to apply a coat of that water proof stuff? I know these are water proof already up to a certain point but it figure it might help prevent stains or something
>>
>>1007590
Have you tried them on before? They tend to be narrow at the heel and have a large heel cup, but if that fits you then sound youve got a brilliant pair of boots

The support quest 4ds give compared to their weight is amazing, making the shoe very versatile; supportive enough to be a low level mountain shoe, and light enough not to kill you doing 50 miles on the flats. Underfoot they feel a lot like an endurance oriented trail running shoe, which makes them good to fast pack in too.

The membrane (inside the boot, against your socks) makes it waterproof, so sprays and proofers wont affect that. The sprays are more to help breathability, because when the outer fabric wets out they dont breathe (still waterproof tho). Synthetics generally dont stain, at least not anything noticable. Shouldnt need a spray for six months desu, after that id do them every 100 or so miles

That being said dont expect your feet to be bone dry, theres a fat hole in the top. Also very worth doing some low level walks in them first if youre used to timberlands
>>
>>1007596
>Have you tried them on before?
Unfortunately no, no stores near me carry them so I bought them online. I figured they would be better then paying for over priced LL meme boots that won't have that great of quality. That being said the terrain I plan on using these in is pretty steep forest hills and walking through a lowland marshy area that has a river going through it that I plan on fly fishing. I'll be sure to walk around in them and break them in a bit before heading out with them and I'll also pass on spraying them. Thanks for the info
>>
>>1007617

>over priced LL meme boots that won't have that great of quality

That's retard thinking. Their boots are gauranteed for life
>>
Are Merrell MOAB's good?
>>
>>1007617
As someone with wide feet, finding a good pair of boots is a real bitch. That being said, I almost kept the Quest 4d's even though they were too narrow, because the traction on them with wet granite is incomparable to any of the other 5 boots I have tried using. I would also recommend Vasque St. Elias if you also have somewhat wide feet.
>>
File: 2703065_ALT3.jpg (112KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2703065_ALT3.jpg
112KB, 1024x1024px
Got these for about 50 bucks. They realy cook your feet, however they do seem to repeal water.
>>
>>1007734
yeah, vasques are good for wide feet. i'm on my second pair of mindbender trail runners, and also have a pair of grand traverse approach shoes.
>>
File: MRLM-J35907-120815-F16-HERO.png (293KB, 584x484px) Image search: [Google]
MRLM-J35907-120815-F16-HERO.png
293KB, 584x484px
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/all-out-blaze-ventilator-waterproof/23103M.html?dwvar_23103M_color=J32813#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&start=1

Not trying to shill for merrell but these are some bad ass mofos when it comes to trail running and hiking and these babies will last you multiple years of heavy use

Tbh I prefer boots, but, yeah, these are good
>>
>>1007705
Yes, and they have many models that are similar, too.
>>
>>1007734
define wide feet? I just measured across the widest part of my foot and it was a little under 4 inches
>>
>>1007734
I feel you widefeet bro. I'm closer to 6e than 4e and literally no one makes a 6e hiking shoe/boot.

I've found comfort in a pair of new balance 669, had to break em in a bit for my fucked up feet but I was able to do 2 days hiking in the himalayas with them.

Before this I had tried and returned maybe 5 different shoes, from other New balances to vasques, salomons, merrells. And even those altra shoes. When NB stops making the 669s im fucked.
>>
>>1007447
I like Merrell trail gloves, but if you have flat feet or aren't used to more minimal shoes, they might murder you.
>>
What about steel toed hiking boots? I'm starting work in a couple weeks that requires steel toes and will be hiking 2-6 miles in southern California desert in them.
>>
>>1007801
calfire? redwings.
>>
>>1007801
>>1007819
Calfire you can expect double or triple that travel

Also if you wear steeltoes on a fire you'll melt your toes

So analysis is he isnt doing calfire

2-6 miles a day you can go to walmart and buy a nice $30 pair of steel toes
>>
How are the brands Karimor and Hi-Tec?
>>
>>1007819
>>1007822
Blunt nosed leopard lizard surveys.

I'll look into redwings. Employer is supplying me with $100 towards boots, I don't mind spending some extra for something comfy though
>>
File: IMG_5088.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5088.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1007596
They fit me perfectly. Lucky I guess
>>
File: Moab Vent.jpg (69KB, 790x657px) Image search: [Google]
Moab Vent.jpg
69KB, 790x657px
>>1007447
>>
>>1007590
Mine started leaking after three months of light-to-moderate hiking (with no pack). After five months, the sole is coming off of the hell of both boots, and also coming off the toe of one of them.

I'm super pissed that I can't return then and get my money back, but I'm in the process of exchanging them. I hope these ones just slipped through QC.

>>1007596
>They tend to be narrow at the heel and have a large heel cup
This dude is high. They fit perfectly normally, as you can see from 80% (or thereabouts) of Amazon reviews. They're very comfortable boots; I just wish they were more durable.
>>
>>1007617
>LL meme boots
The next pair of boots I buy will absolutely be LL Bean Crestas. They're very well built, which is obvious if you get the chance to handle them, and they're guaranteed for life. My friend's pair gets about two years out of them before they start to leak water, then returns then and gets a new pair for free. All the more reason that I'm pissed about how poorly my Solomons have held up.

This is me:>>1008586
>>
Doesnt matter what brand you buy

What you need to look for is leather, triple stitching, and a design that wont make it easy for the glue to erode.

After that, make sure its comfy, or waterproof or breathable depending on your use

Just make sure you have those qualities
>>
>>1008586
>>1008589
You must've got a poorly made pair, my Quest 4D's have lasted for four years and only just now the rubber is starting to peel off the sole on one heel. For most of that time these were my go to casual footwear too, so they've done hundreds of kilometres on asphalt footpaths around town (Pokemon Go lol) plus lots of adventures in the mountains with a pack.
>>
File: IMG_3178.jpg (78KB, 550x368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3178.jpg
78KB, 550x368px
Usually I'm /out/ in the mountains:

Hanwag Omega
>>
>>1008918
They looks nice but I don't think OP is into mountaineering and want to pay 400€ for them.
>>
>>1008557
I have a pair of these, my only complaint is they soak water like a sponge
>>
I'll tell you guys... I went on 3 combat tours (1 Iraq 2 Afghan) and dozens of training not events in a single pair of merrells. They lasted me over 5 years of heavy use and I only got rid of them when I lost them in a move. Some are hit or miss but my experience has been amazing.
>>
I'm low on cash until the end of the month. Should i buy cheap milsurp boots or cheap ones from sports direct?

(im new to hiking and in the UK)
>>
File: 18210504_l.jpg (37KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
18210504_l.jpg
37KB, 720x720px
Should i buy these if im low on funds?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-mid-mens-walking-boots-182105?colcode=18210504
>>
>>1011698
Those look fine.

I will point out two clear flaws
-lack of breathability(you can compensate by gold bond powder or extra thick socks for more sweat absorbtion)
-bad positioning of the outer sole and probably with poor quality glue i.e. after a few hundred miles of walking the glue will likely begin to fail

However theres a 99% chance these will fit your needs without trouble
>>
>>1011709
Thank you anon, I'm a newb so if I get into hiking I'll buy some better ones
>>
File: 3794075-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
3794075-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
I'm getting these. Not much help to you OP since I don't have them yet but maybe other anons who are into aquatic-type-things during their /out/Ings will appreciate the heads up.

Solomon Crossamphibians, the name should explain what they are.
>>
>>1007784
Does these have good padding? I'm losing weight and just getting into hiking. Right now I use some New Balance sneakers, 990, that are wide and have very good padding, but I'm not hiking gnarly trails either.
>>
>>1011709
>-bad positioning of the outer sole
could you elaborate?
>>
File: 2017-05-09 23.28.24.jpg (147KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-09 23.28.24.jpg
147KB, 720x720px
>>1011950
I may have used incorrect terminology so I circled it for you

Constant walking through brush and shit will easily degrade this over time ad leave glue exposed to degrade further. You want that very front lip to be much higher in order to make this less likely to happen.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.