[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out job experiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0027.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0027.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I work as a ringer or stockmen on a 750000 acre property in Australia. Basically a cowboy without the horses and less gay sex. Camping out mustering cattle flood fencing, yard work. Working with real man killer beasts. Normally bulls are pretty bad but these cunts are fucked out hete

Lots of good out places here. The house burnt down the other night so stayed up on a hill. Had dingos come right up to the swags in the night. Half breeds that are really aggressive because of pig hunting dogs bred into them.

But might be looking for my next career. Share some stories and help me out, or ask me some shit.
>>
>>1006151
What's the salary like?
>>
File: IMG_0017.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0017.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1006154
130 a day no living ecpenses. I buy beer and smokes, toiletries and maybe a treat or two .

Get about 3500 a month

This is a pretty fucking big bull . Won't get much bigger
>>
>>1006151
Why don't you get a real job so you can save up and buy your own 750000 acre property instead of kicking other people's shit around for beer and smokes you fucking reprobate
>>
>>1006161
Because 25000 acres around here runs for over 20million. No amount of working will get me that.

And I get paid to spend time outside doing shit I love. It's not worth doing for money but for the lifestyle.
>>
>>1006151
>less gay sex
pass
>>
>>1006163
do you have to jack off the bulls?
>>
>>1006168
Nah. Just chop their balls out. It's not a stud or anything. They're basically left alone until mustering.
>>
This is something I've been meaning to ask about.

What are some neat /out/ jobs where you only have to work for a part of the year?

I know about oil rigs and fishing ships, but I'm interested in something a little less labor intensive, even if it's less lucrative.

I've looked a bit into being a park ranger (US) and I hear most of them only work during "on" seasons. Anyone have any experience with this or something like it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoVrsRCOLyw
m8 how did the fucken house burn down!!?? ya drongo.
D'ya reckon the half-breed dingos with pig-dogs are like the half-caste abos who got knocked up by the stockman back in the day and still?
Why youse guys gotta mud it up?
You should also go back to uni and finish your degree cunt.
>>1006159
y r our cattle HINDOO'd fuark
>>
>>1006159

Mate that salary's fucked. I always assumed you cunts were on alright money cause I used to work in a roadhouse, and all the jackeroos would come in once a month and get fuckfaced, no expenses spared. Plus they'd all be driving around in brand new utes.

Have you thought about the mines? Maybe get some kind of ticket. Not sure what else you'd be qualified for.
>>
>>1006163
Salary is fucked though considering the conditions. You could just get a white card and triple your money on any construction site. Can't you just take care of yourself and then fuck off on camping trips on the holidays? Jesus.

Is there any other reason to be out there? You aim to set up your own primary production? Got a trade? etc sorry it just sounds really shit.
>>
File: shake.gif (629KB, 220x159px) Image search: [Google]
shake.gif
629KB, 220x159px
>>1006151
for that kind of money I'd be asking for more gay sex mate.
>>
>>1006151
>Less gay sex
>Australia

Pick one m8
>>
>>1006151
i was a camp counselor at an outdoors/sports camp that sits on a huge reservation with a lake and tooooonnnnsss of mellow trails. i cant think of a better job for when are a freshmen and sophmore in college or a senior in highschool.

I had the nerd bunk aged 11-12 and the elective counselor for kids who signed up for kayaking, archery, ropes course, and reading (just had to bring them to the kayaks/archery/ropes course. reading area and help the actual counselor assigned to that job) my day mostly consisted of getting stoned, reffing street hockey (i was the only one who knew the game well enough), laying in a kayak, doing a little climbing, and then reading. sometimes i would swim. I am now engaged to gymnastics counselor.

that job was a fucking win. younglings of /out/: you want that job.
>>
>>1006151
>less gay sex.
So your saying there is some gay sex?
>>
Former dairy farmer here, how the fuck does one manage 750000 acres? Helicopters?
>>
>>1006271
>construction
>triple your money
What, how good are the salaries down there?
>>
>>1006151
I do open-ocean canoe trips for the YMCA and get to adventure with teenagers who usually aren't trying to fuck one another. Have done it in Nova Scotia for a few years, headed to BC in June.
>>
>>1006302
Literally the only thing I would want to live in the us for, growing up with summer camp. Sounds fucking fun.
>>
>>1006228
Wood stove caught the roof on fire. Was game over in about 5 minutes. >>1006260
Yes and no. I was paying a good 1200 a month on living expenses when working as a boilermaker. So the money's not too bad. And I'm eating top quality steak nearly every night.

Do it for the lifestyle not the money.

Have thought about the mines. Maybe excavator operator wouldn't be too bad. But I dunno. It's nice out here.>>1006271
Maybe. i just liked reading books about the old stockmen as a kid. Gotta try it while I'm young enough.
>>
File: varg-vikernes.jpg (114KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
varg-vikernes.jpg
114KB, 762x464px
>>1006151

Stop Smoking Cigarettes
>>
>>1006325
Yeah. Sitting in the ute now listening to the choppers. Bout an hour or two till they'll be up here. The 750k acres is split into 4 stations. There's a few million acre properties in Aus. I think Israel is about 750k acres for comparison
>>
>>1006554
Can't be to remote if you have enough service for webs.. what does that put you at about 30 kms from the nearest mob tower? What state/area are you in?
>>
>>1006621
Qld. Yeah there's mines scattered all over the place so service is ok if you jam the phone on the windscreen. 99 percent of the property had no service but we were pushing down a road.
>>
>>1006151
Based in the US here. Last season, I worked as a field botanist identifying plants for USFS related projects. Stayed /out/ every week at a new campsite every night.
This summer going to be working with BLM doing fire supression. Should be interesting.
AMA
>>
>>1006172
During the summer a lot of private, federal, and state agencies mass hire what they call seasonals. You need to start applying Jan-May. Jobs start around May.

Jobs range from office work, fire fighting, trail building, archaeology, botany, timber cruising, and much more. I'm the anon from >>1006733 and I plan hopefully to move up from seasonal work. Starting out may be shitty depending on what you do and is still labor intensive, but not the same as deck hands or oil rig workers. However, you're always /out/ which is kick ass. Pay isn't too great, but like OP mentioned, it's about lifestyle rather than money. What more do you want to know?
>>
>>1006735
What experience/education is necessary to get in on that level?

Do you know any companies in particular that need "seasonals?"

Thanks for the info
>>
>>1006321
>>1006164
Well played.
>>
>>1006802
>What experience/education is necessary to get in on that level?
Depends on the job. Some places require a high school education. Others want people with degrees or are pursuing degrees in Natural resources or something. For example, I got a Forestry degree so I qualified for most forestry related stuff like timber cruising. But if I wanted to do Fishery related stuff, I'd need a wildlife science or fish related degree of sorts. Some require cards and qualifications, but most people will pay you to get them so long as you're willing to get them like weed spraying, you'd need a pesticide aplicator license or training related to specific chemicals. So it depends.

>Do you know any companies in particular that need "seasonals?"
Well, you might still be able to get in on seasonal hiring for the Federal govt. For this, just go to USAjobs.gov and apply for jobs at agencies like BLM, USFS, USDA, and so on. State agencies hire in their own way so you'll have to figure that out yourself. However governmentjobs.com is a hub a lot of state agencies use to post jobs, so a search there will lead you to a lot, but not all, state level jobs. As far as private companies go, I'd say Google is your best friend. Look for and email people at environmental consulting agencies, lumber companies, pesticide applicators, farms, greenhouses, and so on. Some websites also gather job postings so job searches aren't too daunting. But yeah.

Again, happy to help anyone wanting to explore this shit
>>
The other day I read that in Romania farmers hire people to live with the sheep to protect them from wolves. Sounds preddy /out/ to me.
>>
>>1007615
>sheep fucker detected
>>
File: 1487893206520.jpg (178KB, 900x578px) Image search: [Google]
1487893206520.jpg
178KB, 900x578px
>>1007025
Did you get that job right out of school? what kind of experience did you have?

I'm graduating in a few weeks with a chemistry degree (fair amount of bio coursework though), but have worked in an ecology lab and have an internship where I do field transects, restoration, and tree monitoring. I've been applying to a lot of bio field technician jobs over the last few months since I already identify plants all day for my internship, but I haven't heard anything back from most of them.
>>
>>1008447
>Did you get that job right out of school? what kind of experience did you have?
The job I'm going to be working doing fire suppression? To be honest, I'm surprised I landed that job of all jobs I applied for. I have no fire experience. However, because I had plant identifying experience, that's what got me the job (everyone else was just straight up fire fighting experience, but emphasized he needed ID skills). But let me start with the first question and work my way up to how I got my current summer job.

>did you get that job right out of school?
I did just graduate college with a Forestry degree, and I did get the job sort of right out of school. However, I DO NOT attribute getting the job to my degree (only partially. As far as I'm concerned, experience weighs way more heavily than education. Education is just a necessary evil to move up in the work force which is retarded in my opinion). Anyway, after graduating college, I started to apply to jobs of all sorts, from fire fighting, fire supression, to plant ID, timber sale prep. and even just general bio lab positions. Overall, I applied to over more than 30~40 seasonal positions? Overall, I got a positive response to maybe half or less of those jobs, mostly from timber related people (now this I attribute to my Forestry degree, AND experience).

>what kind of experience did you have?
As far as experience goes, not much to be honest. I had my degree and related coursework (including plant ID, disturbance ecology, etc.).

(1/2)
>>
>>1008703
(2/2)

>what kind of experience do you have? cont.
As far as jobs go, I worked as a technician/researcher for one lab, and a technician in another lab. I also worked one summer as a field botanist. So this may not sound like much, but for each resume I built, I twisted what I did at each job to make me sound as favorable as I can. For example, for one of my jobs as a tech/researcher, I did some field work doing tree ID and took some measurements of trees (the job mostly dealt with soil). Instead of mentioning me just digging holes in the ground for the most part and doing soil analysis, I went on about the tools I used and how the research was oriented towards forest management (which is true, but I exaggerated). So if you're having trouble getting people to contact you after you apply, there are a few things I'd recommend:

cont...
Sorry, this answer is longer than I thought it would be

(2/3)
>>
>>1008713
(3/3)

1) Make sure your resume is built towards the job you apply to. I know this is tedious as fuck, but it's necessary. Don't have one general resume on hand. Modify what you have to fit the jobs description. And exaggerate what you did at your previous jobs that make you qualified for the jobs you're applying for and focus less (if at all) on the aspects of your previous job that have nothing to do with what you're applying for.

2) Contact the people you've sent resumes to. Now take this advice with a grain of salt. I've heard this doesn't help and may sometimes hurts your chances of getting a job. But in general, I've heard mostly positive things from doing this. I've never hear anyone say it hurt their chances, I've just hear rumors which I don't really believe. Contacting potential employers shows you're on top of your shit and have drive and what not.

3) Apply to a ton of jobs. People are very meticulous about where and what they apply for. I say do not be picky. Take what you can get. If something better comes along, quit what you got and move on. But the downfall of most people I know who can't get jobs are all the victims of being too picky about what they apply for. Apply for everything.

Anyway, I'll stop for now and follow up on anything that's not clear. Again, sorry for the long ass responses. Just want to make sure my fellow /out/ists make it in this shitty world
>>
>>1007620
*wolf fucker mind you
>>
Similar to OP, my dad is an Aussie and my mum is a leaf. I grew up on a farm near Lethbridge, Alberta and learned all the tricks of the trade. Ended up selling the farm after my dad passed since we couldn't manage it well without him and I was a bit young at the time. Now working on a farm making about $45K CAD in 5 months in Saskatchewan with almost no expenses. Trying to get a job lined up for the rest of the year in Western Australia doing the same old but in the opposite seasons so i can buy my own piece of land.
>>
>>1006735
Can confirm, just got a trailwork in Utah. I'll be working there for about six months. I can also confirm that working as a deck hand is fucking horrible. You don't want a job on a shrimp boat and you REALLY don't want a job on a scallop boat. I don't know about trailwork yet, I'm just starting. I'm hopeful, though
>>
>>1006151

Have you considered geophysics surveying? I did it for a few years. Hard yakka but money was alright. Got to work most aussie states and territories, plus Eastern Europe and East Africa.

Atlas Geophysics out of Perth, Western Australia are hiring at the moment.
>>
I'll be going for my cert II in conservation and land managment in August. Do you think it's worth it? I intend on becoming a park ranger simply because I'm a ruralfag and it's on the only career I can think of that I'll enjoy.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.