[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 37

File: 1421520513213[1].jpg (122KB, 999x624px) Image search: [Google]
1421520513213[1].jpg
122KB, 999x624px
topo maps can be kind of expensive... should i invest in a gps? what's the best bang for my buck?
>>
>>1005297

how about you kill yourself
>>
>>1005297

Plenty of websites that let you print off topo maps for free. I print them out and just take them in to get laminated, costs like 30 cents.
>>
>>1005303
i thought of that but the usgs maps are like 30 inches by 20 inches? print shop will print and laminate that for you for 30 cents?
>>
>>1005297
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/topoview/viewer/#4/40.01/-100.06

i like this one
>>
>>1005302
i thought i told you not to shit up /out/ u ingrate
>>
>>1005310

My local staples does it. So I dont see why they wouldn't for you.
>>
>>1005329
cool, thanks
>>
How the hell do I get climbing to actually 'click' for me, guys?

Im taking a class and today was day 3. Maybe these are unrealistic expectations to be seeing results by now, but Im one of the worse climbers in my group so far. I know part of it is that Im having a hard time putting faith in my equipment (Im not actually scared climbing, but leaning back on an anchor on an edge I sure as fuck am), but the actual moves are frustrating, too.

Im starting to build up this classic recurring fear that has plagued me my whole life. The fear of not being able to do this and not just failing once, but actually being a failure.

But under that is an even deeper fear, that Ill walk away from this without making any friends to go do it with, regardless. I mean, who wants to climb with the guy who sucks at it?

I havent cried in a while but this is sure doing it for me tonight.
>>
Anyone find any steals on outdoor gear on dhgate or aliexpress?
>>
File: medkit.jpg (248KB, 800x428px) Image search: [Google]
medkit.jpg
248KB, 800x428px
Is this adequate for an firstaid kit?
>>
>>1005362
Don't worry bud I really suck at it too, climbing just might not be for you but give it a couple more chances and put the effort into making friends, get their numbers and invite them out to climb or hangout, don't wait for them to do it. Good luck no more tears
>>
>>1005431
Not sure if it's there, but make sure you have plenty of stomach medication. Against diarrhoea and constipation etc, since that might be your biggest threat if happening out. band-aids looks to be more than enough, but hey they don't take much space.
>>
>>1005297
Op learn to arc data. Make your own comfy maps.

There's data for things that you would never even dream of. Plus there are apps on your phone to look at your maps offline, or you can print them out.

There's open source software for it and plenty of online resources.

Very satisfying.
>>
>>1005362
The only way to really foster faith in your gear is to chuck yourself off the rock a couple of times. Bouldering at a gym can be an awesome way to fall in love with the act of climbing. That's where I started and eventually I felt the urge to climb outdoors and on longer routes. Bouldering will teach you the techniques pretty quickly as the routes are all very technical. Plus you don't need a partner if you go indoors, this will give you the space and privacy you might need to improve. Once you are happy with your standard of climbing you could start roped climbing again.
>I mean, who wants to climb with the guy who sucks at it?
Most climbers are cool, at least IME, and will want to help you improve!
>>
>>1005431
Holy balls! Where are you going? Even on >1 week walks I only really take plasters, alcohol wipes and some blister plasters.
>>
>>1005532
this is the kind of advice i was looking for. i'll try and cut it down.
>>
>>1005535
What is the first aid kit for? Where are you going? How long? What is the activity?
>>
>>1005537
a week backcountry camping in the adirondacks
>>
>>1005551
>adirondacks
I don't know anything about this area, but the things you need to bear in mind are how far are you from rescue? Considering the activities you will engaged in, realistically what is the worst injury you will have to deal with? And if the worst happens are you going to call for said rescue or deal with it yourself? The answers will determine how much first you need to take. Most of the time as long as you have means to call for rescue, food and water enough to last the wait, and something to stop bleeding you are going to be fine.
>>
>>1005553
in other words the kit is completely adequate if a bit less than what's needed?
>>
>>1005362
>who wants to climb with the guy who sucks at it?
anybody who gives a shit how hard someone else pulls isn't worth climbing with in the first place. one of the things i live about climbing is that it presents opportunities to challenge ANYONE, and as long as you're pushing yourself that's all that matters. hell, even pushing yourself doesn't matter, just having fun. i had a fucking ball on a 5.5 a week ago.

>>1005431
that's about 4x what you need. chuck most of those shit plastic bandaids and get a roll of athletic tape-just as effective for cuts and more versatile.
>>
>>1005431
Try to get a pressure dressing in there, and some coban and roll gauze. You dont need a ton of it, just some. Good call on the moleskin though, Ive skipped that before as something silly and then really wished Id had it after wearing a pair of cotton socks in newish boots.

Some people will scoff at the pressure dressing but frankly if you fall on the wrong thing or cut yourself and sustain an actual life threatening injury, youll need it. First Aid kits for /out/ should cover treatable life threats first.

t. Wilderness Medic
>>
>>1005575
i wanna take a wilderness first aid course
any recommendations?
making a first aid kit really wakes you up to how little you know and how vulnerable u r
>>
>>1005297
www.caltopo.com

Print your own maps.
>>
>>1005613
this x1000

and if you start to use it regularly don't be a cheap-ass faggot. subscribe and give the man 20 bucks for all his work.
>>
File: n4tiww.jpg (110KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
n4tiww.jpg
110KB, 800x534px
what is a decent hammocking tarp that is not overpriced orange piece of shit?
>>
I'm about to start getting together gear for my first wilderness backpacking experience. (Read: going to the US and doing a bunch of 2-5 day trips.)

How do I make sure I don't buy shitty nor too fancy gear while still being well-prepared. Anything to do aside from looking up reviews/recommendations?

Anything else I should absolutely do, preparation-wise?
>>
>>1005794
Go to an outfitter. The good ones will staff clerks who can walk you through exactly what you need. Just don't be a faggot who uses that expertise to go buy online and save $20.
>>
>>1005583
Look at Wilderness Medical Associates. Really all I have experience with. A lot of it will be the same stuff, just priced differently. Honestly you can boil a lot of it down to:

>Dont over-pack, and learn to improvise stuff like splints and slings
>Learn some good skills to assist or package a person to evac
>Carry meds and electrolytes
>Carry something to disinfect

Other than that just focus your gear on life threatening bleeding and then a few convenience bandages/gauze and gauze pads. If you want a quick and versatile splint that wont cost much bulk or weight, get a SAM splint. But learning to improvise is still important.

A WFA course is great, but that will kind of be a good start to think on and pack for.
>>
>>1005531
>>1005568
Thanks guys. I think I was overreacting (obviously) but sometimes certain experiences just drudge up childhood/teenage shit. I was 20 before I really started getting /out/ and actually learning to do these activities at all.

Im going to keep plugging at it. And actually I have a spot right down the road where I can boulder, so thats an awesome idea. Im also going to start working out more like I was a couple years ago so I have more strength and balance.

My instructor says she actually cried because she was terrified when she started out, so if she can do this so can I. And Im gonna make sure to get contact info for my group (who really are pretty supportive and positive) and Ill take the lead on getting us together. Actually, thinking about it, one of the girls there was letting on yesterday that she is doing this to also make more friends, and I desperately need to start finding friends outside of my workplace.

/out/ really is the best board. Thanks for the encouragement. I can do this.
>>
>>1005890
That's the spirit! I climb for work and it's intense, if I have any emotional baggage it becomes a lot heavier when I am in an intense situation. But you power through, and beat it. It makes you stronger. Get strong. Get high.
>>
Anybody use a Klymit pad? I'm seeing good prices on massdrop and wonder about how good they are.
>>
>>1005912
I like them. I forget which i have. Theyre harder to stay on than a thermarest, but I love how small they pack and they seem durable so far
>>
>>1005912

I've tried the one that's like 90$ holes and it's utter utter shit.

I know which one you're talking about but haven't had the chance to try it out.

Honestly I'd recommend seeing if your local REI is doing a garage sale or has one to try out. Always try mats before you buy.
>>
>>1005931
What dont you like about it?

Ive admittedly only had mine out a few times.
>>
File: kuksa.jpg (97KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
kuksa.jpg
97KB, 800x578px
Why are kuksas so popular? What's the advantage they have over normal cups?
>>
>>1006481
Dangit. Disregard the name. It's from a different thread and board.
>>
File: 20140917_143059.jpg (1019KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20140917_143059.jpg
1019KB, 2048x1152px
>>1006481
nice to hold, fucking hard to make yourself, atleast if your a retard like me, they keep cracking when you put hot liquid in em.

but, i guess just aestetics, besides ergonomics really good for cupping with your hands in the cold, cant quite explain it
>>
>>1006483
I was just about to say that bit about them cracking. I have just a regular plastic mug that I take with me that's more or less kuksa sized/shaped and it does fine with hot liquids. Pretty ugly tho.
>>
File: 20150808_100337.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150808_100337.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>1006490
im in the midst of a move otherwise i would post picks of my failure of a kuksa,

is it basicly impossible to do if you dont use a burl? ive literaly carved 4 kuksas and eventually they all split in the front when they get enough water/heat, what the fuck use is a cup that you can only use once a day. it may be a meme to say, i dont know, but damn i love kupilka, all the advantaged, none of the disadvantages, whish the walls were a bit thicker and whish out could maybe get other handles but that is minor
>>
>>1006495
I know that the Fins and Saami swear by using burls. Kinda makes sense, having much harder wood and a natural cup like shape to begin with.
>>
>>1006500
yea, ive used, beech, pine, oak and birch, all split along the front, no fucking matter how thick i made them, i made one in birch over 2 centimeter thick and it still split
>>
>>1006504
What do you use to carve them? Just a knife or is there some special tool that you need?
>>
File: 1314680572409.png (65KB, 189x186px) Image search: [Google]
1314680572409.png
65KB, 189x186px
Anyone recommend a good waterproofing spray for packs and the like? I'm going to be tromping around with some friends in some Californian rivers and lakes this summer, and I want to try to make it harder for my stuff to get wet if the current knocks me down, because I'm an emaciated 6'2" slenderman body double who essentially sits stock still in a dark room reading ancient literature for a living. I just don't wanna end up with a pack full of wet gear because I'm too atrophied to hold my footing.
>>
>>1006906
I can recommend not relying on a spray.

Put the stuff inside in ziplock bags. Maybe 2 or 3 layers of bags for really important stuff. Cheap and effective.
>>
>>1006906
>I'm going to be tromping around with some friends in some Californian rivers and lakes this summer
lol. you realize that with 200% snowpack river levels are going to be at 200%, too, right? hopefully they find your body before it hits the ocean and crabs eat your face.
>>
File: IMG_5068.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5068.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How the fuck do you guys get knot out? I'm trying to get into it now and it costs a shit ton. So far I got a bag (not here yet but will be by the end of the month) tent, sleeping bag/sleeping pad, camp stove with frying pan, boots, and then a bunch of little shit and that was all easily $1100+. This shit better not fucking degrade after a month
>>
>>1007259
>mfw this entire post
>>
your best bet for cheapshit landnav is to get a cheap delorme atlas and gazetteer, a bit big for precision navigation, but good enough that you will at least have some bearing on where the fuck your at
>delorme map >$20 if you shop around
>compass ??>find one faggot
>>
>>1007264
problem then m8?
>>
If I'm making use of the US's visa waiver program, can I still come in on a one-way flight, or do they need to see "intent to leave" or something?
>>
>>1008504
>>>/trv/
>>
File: Sawyer_Mini_LifeStraw_2.jpg (245KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
Sawyer_Mini_LifeStraw_2.jpg
245KB, 540x405px
>don't get a LifeStraw, they said
>get a Sawyer, they said
Before I bite the bullet, are there any other brands that are better than Sawyer at a similar price point?
>>
File: 1458947476505.jpg (957KB, 960x919px) Image search: [Google]
1458947476505.jpg
957KB, 960x919px
Thoughts on financing a used car? I'm thinking around ~15k. I own my own home and have around 3k on my credit cards. I just graduated college with no debt. I worry about getting that much debt but at least I know its secured.

Any tips or guides? I don't want to make a huge mistake
>>
>>1009211
My bad I thought this was /auto/
>>
Is this enough to sleep on for three weeks without wanting to kill myself?
> 400 grams
> 14 ounces
>>
would a machete be good for self defence against black bears?
>>
File: 0507171209d.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
0507171209d.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Does /out/ pin-finger while innawoods? Stats?
>>
>>1009820
Honestly, probably not. But I'd suggest it for the off chance it works and be crowned king
>>
>>1009820
Yes because black bears are complete pussys.
>>
>>1009814
>foam
>14 oz
pick one. either get a lighter better foam pad, or get yourself an equal weight but warmer comfier inflatable.

fwiw after years of sleeping on foam i upgraded to a thermarest self inflating pad and it's about a thousand times better.
>>
>>1009846
Fair nuff
>>
>>1009858
So you're trying to say 14oz for foam is too much?
>>
>>1005431
This seems like an awful lot... maybe I just don't cut myself enough to need 50 bandaids.
I just bring a couple bandaids, blister pads, ibuprofen, alkaseltzer gold, and white monkey balm. And a flask of scotch that I guess can have medicinal purposes.
>>
>>1006483
Do you just eat straight up chickpeas?
>>
So are those therm-a-rest z-lite sol mats actually comfortable as sleeping mats? They seem way thin.
>>
>>1010029
Like most sleeping mats, they're comfortable in the sense that it's better than sleeping on hard ground that's studded with rocks.
>>
thinking about getting a bird call thing and a deer call thing. pretty cheap. are they any good, lot of trouble. our like ace in that movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3faboOu1pM
>>
>>1010358
well if anyone is interested, according to the reviews they work pretty good.
>>
>>1005297
Download QGIS and make your own for nothing.
>>
>>1005508
This. See>>1010797 as well.
>>
I can't find any decent trousers here in the UK for my size I'm 33/36.
But even then nothing is long enough that isn't 40 waist
>>
>>1005508
>>1010797
>>1010800
GIS for a basic map seems like a waste of time to me. USGS already offer 7.5 minute maps for anywhere in the US.

Why bother remaking a worse map when the GIS layers are probably coming from USGS anyways?
>>
Im going to be moving to Sonoma County over the summer and will be attending college there. Anyone know of some good trails to hike or flat enough to trail run?
>>
>>1012717
>flat enough to trail run
or you could, y'know, sack the fuck up and run uphill instead of being a pussy-ass faggot.
>>
Will diluting some sugar in the water I give to my plants have any beneficial effects?
>>
>>1009831
unbelieveably idiotic timewaster
>>
>>1012773
no. that's not how plants work. use some actual shit, maybe your own. it really works better. plants can produce sugar, but not absorb it through their roots. use proper fertilizer.
>>
>>1012669
Because you can find data pertinent for your specific requirements.

For instance, I make hunting maps. Basically a topo map with red dots for reported harvest locations, DNR has the data.

Also useful for mountaineering where you want to pre-plan your route, especially if you need high resolution data for technical areas. I might, for instance, map out a summit in very high detail for the final scramble of a hike.

While hiking I don't need high detail, but at the last 300 feet to the summit I might need to know every nook and cranny to keep from getting cliffed out. I usually save this as layers of maps in my phone, or print two maps if I'm worried about battery life.

There's also huge applications in land surveying, as you can imagine.
>>
Someone teach me about free climbing. How do I get gud? Where can I see examples of differently rated difficulties? How "safe" is it? How difficult of a climb can a practiced climber do without assistance?

Get me started without getting dead.
>>
...Anonymous
05/11/17(Thu)17:35:33 No.33931911
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Is the mora eldris any good? For some reason it gets me excited but I try not to buy shit I don't need. I've got a mora companion(great knife) and I thought that the eldris might be a good backup/nice for wittling.
I was comparing it to the mora 120 (a carving knife) and it made me second guess myself. I know the elris can't whittle as well as the 120, but does it's "rugged" qualities (plastic handle, safer grip, thicker wider blade) make for a better option? Or does my companion cover all that?

Opinions, experience is all welcome
>>
>>1013069
Sorry for the retarded copy/paste... I asked /k/ too
>>
File: Tollhouse.jpg (305KB, 730x548px) Image search: [Google]
Tollhouse.jpg
305KB, 730x548px
>>1013042
>How do I get gud?
climb with people who know what they're doing. watch them and talk to them about technique.
>Where can I see examples of differently rated difficulties?
youtube. though the subtleties will be lost on you if you've never done it before.
>How "safe" is it?
generally very, if done correctly. but there's a range.
>How difficult of a climb can a practiced climber do without assistance?
i don't know exactly what you mean. do you mean without a rope? or without falling? or ??
>Get me started without getting dead.
make friends with climbers-join a club, join a gym, hang out at the crag. or start bouldering (barf).
>>
>>1012669

This >>1013039. And you will be learning a very marketable skill with near infinite applications.
>>
>>1013070
That was probably a mistake. The minority on /k/ that actually goes outside crossposts here.
>>
File: 81g4Y9TSmvL._SL1500_.jpg (159KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81g4Y9TSmvL._SL1500_.jpg
159KB, 1500x1500px
Are non-freestanding tents worth it?

I'm going on a four day backpacking trip this summer in Colorado, and the weight savings make them look attractive.
>>
>>1013091
I'm talking about free climbing, no rope or harness. I want to do summits that end in 5.x scrambles, but I don't want the gear if it can be done safely without.
>>
>>1013144
that's free soloing. free climbing uses ropes.
>>
>>1013039
Like I said, for a basic map, GIS is a waste of time. If you need it for a specific purpose (like hunting) I could see some utility in it. But honestly for most outings you can probably find a map for free or under $10 that already has everything you need.
>>
>>1013141
Yes, depending on the terrain. A good pitch is important.
>>
>>1013141
if there's good ground to drive the stakes into you can swing it. but if the ground is sandy or rocky you're fucked.
>>
>>1013156
Ah. So, obviously free soloing is inherently dangerous. But I want to learn for tough scrambles, most summits here worth climbing (Utah), end in some climbing. I don't want to invest the cash, or more importantly the energy, in carrying climbing equipment on hikes.

Where do I get started?
>>
>>1013282
>Where do I get started?
by growing up a little more until you have the patience to learn to climb on a rope so you can safely improve your technique and learn where your limits are.
>>
File: IMG_5479.jpg (52KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5479.jpg
52KB, 750x750px
What is the point of a down vest? I'm asking because someone gave me a nice one, but I don't know when I should wear it. Down doesn't do well when it's wet right?
>>
>>1013848
nice warm light layer for cooler days. what size are you? i'll take it if you don't want it.
>>
Does anyone know anywhere to camp in New Hampshire. I would like to just camp on public or state land and not on some meme camp park.

Can anyone recommend me any good places to just pitch of trail in NH.
Thanks in advance
>>
>>1005794
Do loads of research and lurking to ensure you don't buy the wrong gear. I got roped into buying a $350 dollar sleeping bag when I was first learning, a $150 dollar bag would have been just fine for me.
>>
File: 1200-Trek.jpg (154KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1200-Trek.jpg
154KB, 1200x1200px
>>1006906
fucking christ just start working out if you are that afraid
>>1008720
get the sawyer squeeze, the mini sucks in terms of water flow
>>1009814
Thermarest Z- Lite is what you are looking for.
>>1013848
comfy, keeps your core body warm, the down does well until you get it wet, it can get smelly later if you don't dry it properly.
>>
File: 1462805555525.png (176KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1462805555525.png
176KB, 1200x1200px
does food-grade mineral oil attract bears or should I just get a stainless knife instead of carbon steel?
>>
Any norwegian /outists around? I stumbled upon those inn websites on which you can find cheap brand products. I was looking for whiplash braid and found it on waveinn.com, then I got to look about and there is all kinds of stuff on discounted prices so I was wondering are they reliable? Anybody has any experience with them?
>>
>>1015301
american here, but i bought some stuff from trekkinn and it came okay. though i did get a call from my bank about a "suspicious purchase" because the charge came up in their system as movie tickets in spain, so that was weird.
>>
File: received_10212980029804625.jpg (33KB, 720x1187px) Image search: [Google]
received_10212980029804625.jpg
33KB, 720x1187px
Question for the city-explorer types: Returned to my house from a weekend camp and saw this on my porch. My landlord comes by a lot to work on the place, but the house is also in an area with lots of drug crime. So before I sound like a paranoid fool to my landlord, can you tell me if there's any symbolism to the drawing and the knot? Or is it just carpentry/electrical shorthand?
>>
>>1015418
>>
>>1015261
you're aware that "food grade" doesn't mean the same thing as "food", right?
>>
>>1005738
this
>>
>>1015479
Yeah, I knew that. Do you have an answer to my question?
>>
>>1015535
no it does not attract bears.
>>
>>1015540
Excellent, carbon steel it is then. Thanks mate.
>>
do you guys call the local forest official before you head out on a trip? i'm doing a three day section hike of the at in massachusetts and vermont soon and was wondering if i should call the local forest ranger or something beforehand...
>>
>>1015636
unless i'm picking up a wilderness permit, no. though i usually leave a detailed (or as detailed as i can) plan with my wife of where and when i'll be so if i'm overdue they know where to look.
>>
>>1005297
Is there a martial art specifically dedicated for fighting animals like snakes and bears?
>>
>>1015319
They seem dodgy af, I'm thinking to order some fishing line and a nalgene bottle just to be sure I don't get fucked for too much money.
>>
File: bear wrestling.jpg (30KB, 550x362px) Image search: [Google]
bear wrestling.jpg
30KB, 550x362px
>>1015643
>>
>>1013141
I've had very poor luck with them.

The design itself is nice, but it's so ridiculously dependent on ground conditions most of the places I've been would require several hours of looking for a spot you could even drive the stakes.

Even when properly pitched with all the guy lines staked out they fare worse in high winds than a dome tent too.
>>
>>1013848
Low bulk, low weight insulating layer that also doesn't restrict freedom of movement.

Untreated down loses its loft when wet. There are treated downs that are pretty water repellent though. It's a pain to care for but if going ULW is important they are excellent.
>>
>>1015643
Gun Fu.

Otherwise, Stick Whackem.

Otherwise, no.
>>
>>1014670
AMC has a guidebook on NH backpacking. Check it out.

Also, Monadnock Region here. Where are you?
>>
Is Svea 123 out approved? I'm sick of iso-butane canisters and want to get into white gas. Wood/alcohol/esbit are cool, but need an off switch sometimes.
>>
>>1005506
this is some great advice
>>
>>1005297
there's an Android app called US Topo Maps that lets you get USGS topos for free, and works similar to Google maps.

you could easily print these and use them in the field.
>>
>>1009990
Those aren't chickpeas, dumbass. They're garbonzo beans.
>>
>>1017570
also known as chickpeas, thanks smart one.
>>
>>1017570
>>1017571
I think it's an Egyptian pea, used to make humus.
>>
>>1017571
That was sarcasm
>>1017671
This guy gets it
>>
What Is /out opinion on Keen shoes? And Hi-Tec?
>>
File: 1494620247340.jpg (34KB, 370x699px) Image search: [Google]
1494620247340.jpg
34KB, 370x699px
>>1005297
I am very tall and hate using wheeled luggage. I am looking for a medium-thin hard luggage case without wheels I can carry along with me.Any recommendations?
>>
What wipes does /out/ use when backpacking?
>>
>>1018060
Hi-Tec is the poorfag's introduction to /out/ shoes. They'll work, for a while, but there's better.

Keen is about 1.5 tiers higher. Marginally better made than Merrell for marginally more money.

Truly good trail running shoes and hiking boots can be had for only about $20 more than Keens though, so I recommend saving your money.
>>
>>1020102
Think you might do a bit better with that question over on /trv/, sorry.
>>1020392
Hunter's Specialties Scent-A-Way field wipes.

I suppose if you don't need the scent-killing aspect of them, Grime Boss field wipes are significantly cheaper and also don't smell like helicopter mom.
>>
File: WaterWipes-baby-EU-pack.png (127KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
WaterWipes-baby-EU-pack.png
127KB, 500x303px
>>1020392
if they're good enough to wipe literal shit off my kid's ass they're good enough to wipe figurative shit off my hands. i like that they're not greasy, don't leave any residue, and are effectively odorless.
>>
>>1005297
Gaia gps app.
>>
>>1007259
It's good that you bought nice gear but you didn't really need to... When I was young we /out/ed with utter garbage gear and had a great time. It wasn't till I got more into it that I needed(wanted) the pricier kit.
>Blanket
>Tarp
>Backpack
>Mess tin
>Water bottle.
>>
>>1013141
I have exclusively used non-free standing tents and never had an issue. That being said in some terrains you need to get creative.
>>
>>1013144
>no rope or harness
>safely
Nope fraid not.
>>
ily guys
>>
>>1020578
not a question !!!
>>
Is there a way to walk through soft sand without tiring myself out?
>>
>>1020944
i know this feel and
feel like this worth its own thread.
>>
File: 81HQhOREzeL._SL1500_.jpg (236KB, 777x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81HQhOREzeL._SL1500_.jpg
236KB, 777x1500px
is it comfy? need it for a month, so i don't want to spend too much
>>
>>1009866
The best thing about CCF pads is that you can cut down the length and width to what you actually need. After cutting mine down, it was only about half the weight.

>>1020392
Mullein. It grows everywhere and it's softer than Charmin.

>>1020944
If it's a major issue, I'd try Snow shoes, but go two sizes smaller than what you'd need for snow.

>>1021120
If you have that much space, you'll use that much space. I forced myself to live out of a Jansport school bag (no waist strap) for six weeks, and was fine, just because I had to keep my pack weight down to accommodate the small size.
>>
>>1021120
I have one.

It's fine for the price.

That being said, I really wish I had saved a couple extra shekels and bought something lighter.
>>
Why are nalgene bottles so expensive in the UK? I can only find a single colour that's under £11, the rest vary between that and £20.

Those little plastic sipper caps cost like £7 as well. Is there a physical shop chain that sells them that might be cheaper than Amazon? Only camping shop I know around me as a Trespass in Sunderland but I've never been in, I think they just sell own-brand stuff.

Want a decent, well-made wide-mouthed waterbottle to try and encourage me to drink more water (stopped eating crisps and chocolate cold-turkey a couple of months ago, wasn't fat but still 10 bags of crisps a day can't be good, now I just need to stop drinking my calories)
>>
>>1021406
Ten bags of potato chips? Holy shit man...

Nalgene is over-rated for water use, the only real advantage is the wide-mouth lid for cleaning, and well, it's for water, so come on... PETE (soda) bottles work just as well for water and you don't get upset the first time they get a scratch in them. Plus they're lighter by a couple grams, so you'll look like a real hiker instead of a poser.
>>
>>1021327
ye weight being my main concern, but anything lighter i saw jumps to 200+ usd :/
>>
So I'm thinking of hiking for the first time on one of those six hour hikes. One time during the summer and one time in the winter for snow.

I'm thinking all I need is a backpack with snacks, repellent a sweater and some water bottles right?

I don't hike, there's a trail near my place that takes like an hour to finish, they have a water faucet an halfway through, planning on going to the Angeles National forest
>>
>>1021789

Wait I just realized there not might be water fountains where I'm going so maybe more water?
>>
>>1021789
>I'm thinking all I need is a backpack with snacks, repellent a sweater and some water bottles right?
for a half day hike, yeah, that'll do you.
>>
>>1021789
IMO, anything less than five miles round trip isn't a hike, it's a walk. Might be a rather long walk, but still just a walk.

So I'm assuming this hike you're planning is 14-18 miles, judging by the time you set? Yeah, the things you listed should be enough.
>>
>>1021795
for 6 hours in summer in socal you'll want at least 4l of water. if there's a creek near the trail you could carry 2l and a filter.
>>
>>1021798
fuck off, internet hardman.
>>
>>1021800
Hardman? Explain how.
>>
>>1021798
Oh sorry I guess I shouldn't call them hikes, I don't really hike so I don't know the terms. I just checked the trails I want to go on and it's actually like 4 hours. Some of them are longer and do go up to 6.

I also want to walk up Mt. Baldy which is like a mountain that's not too far out from where I live. That one will take a little longer I think. How long are hikes usually?
>>1021799
A gallon of water? Won't that be heavy? I have no idea of there's creeks on any of the walks, is there like a general rule? Like a gallon of water per day or per set amount of hours?
>>1021797
Okay thanks for replying, I was kind of checking the thread and you guys bring a lot of stuff with you, do you guys stay out all night?

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought you guys would be mean for some reason
>>
I have a day off work tomorrow and want to go out, I live in Atlanta where should I go?
>>
>>1021814
Mount Baldy, as in on Philmont Scout Ranch? I'm not sure if it's public land, probably ought to call them up first. I just call it a hike if it's more than five miles. It's not a technical classification or anything, just an opinion.
>>
>>1021820
Additionally, a good way to scale your hikes by time is taking into consideration average walking speed, which is about 3 miles per hour. That's how I got the figures I did. Six hours at 3 mph = 18 miles.
>>
>>1021814
it's a hike. that guy's just being a pretentious faggot, like anyone here is impressed by him. a gallon of water weights ~8 lbs, but it gets lighter as the day goes along.
>>
>>1021820
Sorry, there's like a bunch of Mt Baldys, it's technically Mount San Antonio
>>
>>1021823
anon who doesn't hike isn't going to average 3 mph his first trip, you dumbfuck.
>>
>>1021825
>Mount San Antonio
>10064'
>four popular routes to the summit. All are considered moderate hikes of 8.5 to 13 miles round trip and anywhere from 3,600 feet to 6,000 feet of elevation gain
yeah, you're going to want at least a gallon of water (get a camelpak or equivalent so it's more comfortable to carry than a bunch of bottles), and consider yourself lucky if you average 1.5 mph.
>>
>>1021823

Oh dang, I must be really bad and slow the trail I recently did after looking it up just now, was a 4 mile loop with 700 elevation gain and it took me like 2 hours, although it was because it was like 90 degrees, and I was tired and thirsty and at one point I was no longer walking it was more like climbing stairs really slowly, I mean I guess I could've gone faster but at that specific part I was looking at where to step because it had gotten steeper and the trail was all bumpy and not straight and flat anymore, should I be trying to hit 3mph?
>>1021824
>>1021833
Okay guys, I'll go look for camelpaks

Sorry for all the questions, I"m just not sure what to carry, even on the hike that I went on (Griffith Park if you're curious) there were these people who I think were like on a hiking class? And they had like the mountain backpacks and they looked more legit than me who just had like jeans, hiking boots and a water bottle that I took with me so I want to not look out of place and be prepared, I don't know what they were carrying
>>
>>1021843
Is there a certain pace I need to be going at?
>>
>>1021843
ignore 3 mph guy. it's a good goal for conditioning, but if you're /out/ and enjoying yourself you're doing it right.

the people you saw were probably conditioning for backpacking with the loads they'll be carrying. for a half day your list is fine. maybe throw sunscreen in, too.
>>
File: IMG_8598.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8598.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Can anyone identify this guy? I suspect tent catipilar but not sure.
>>
File: IMG_8599.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8599.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1021879
Hundreds of them
>>
>>1021856

Thanks anon, I was getting worried.

Would my light pack be okay for longer trips? Supposedly the hike to Mt San Antonio takes a very long time. Even for something that takes all day it should be fine right? Just pack a little more in snacks and water I"m guessing.
>>
>>1022015
yeah. if you're worried it might push late just add a flashlight.
>>
>>1021879
>>1021881
Could be wrong but I'd say that little guy is a bug.
>>
File: Hiking_speed.svg.png (125KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hiking_speed.svg.png
125KB, 800x600px
>>1021814
It's hiking.

>>1021823
You also need to add 1 hour for every 600m climbed. This assumes that the hiker is fit and the conditions are good. Using the 3mph + 1h/600m you get a rough _minimum_ time needed to cover easy terrain. There other corrections you can make for fitness, fatigue, conditions, etc.

>>1021827
Yeah, 3mph is going to be a tough pace to aim for if you are new to hiking. This is nothing to be ashamed of! The more you hike the faster you'll get.

>>1021843
Walk at the pace you find comfortable. I used to push myself to hit certain average speeds and it wasn't fun and can result in injury. If you hike more you'll get fitter and faster so don't stress and just have fun.
>>
What flashlight can /out/ recommend me under 100$? Primary use will be to track and search for game if I don't make a clean shot while night hunting.
>>
I failed to pay attention close enough during land nav, what other resources can I use to reach myself map reading?
>>
File: 1479847435215.webm (873KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479847435215.webm
873KB, 500x500px
>>1021412
Don't really give a shit about things getting scratched, a lot of the time if I get something new and shiny and know it'll eventually get dinged up, I'll just throw it around in the gravel in my garden just so I have no excuse for babying it later.

Brother just showed me his fancy camelbak chute his girlfriend got him, was really tempted to get out (infact ordered it online before cancelling). Glad I did because the lid seems really obtuse, hard to get the retainer thing to keep it back otherwise it obstructs the waterway, and it leaky everywhere if it's only twisted 99.9% of the way)

Nalgene's are a stupid price over here as well, £15 or thereabouts for a 1L. Pretty much same price as the camelbak.

Got another question as well, how well do those military assault/day packs cope as a carry-on bag (if that's all you're taking on a trip). Got a couple of week trips coming up and losing my checked luggage and the like isn't high up on my list of things I want to do.

Reason I'm leaning towards one of those kinds of bags and not just a gym duffel bag is that it could double as a day pack for camping/hiking as well in the summer, where all you'd need is a bivvy.
>>
>>1021412
And yeah, 10 bags of those 25-30g bags. Sounds like a lot but I'd always skip breakfast and dinner and so my overall calories were about normal, it was just all shite though.
>>
I'm currently in San Francisco for a few months. Because of the uncertain nature of my trip I didn't make any reservation in advance.

Most places seem to be really busy already. Where in the area can I go /out/ to not need a reservation for camping? Someplace I can just throw my tent down in the middle of nowhere. Recommendations?
>>
>>1025605
you pretty much have to head to the sierra for that. but once you're there almost any national forest that isn't designated "wilderness" is good to go. just don't block a road and camp >100' from water.
>>
Do I need a special backpack for hiking?

Like I"m looking at the backpacks and they're organized by liters? Like 16L, 20L

If I"m hiking for a day what backpack do I need? Not sure how much water to carry
>>
>>1025193
Buy a map of an area you know well. Read the key and get familiar with the symbols etc. Then go out are start connecting the landscape with the map. Once you have a feel for that you can get a map of an area you don't know so well. At the end of the day the quickest and most efficient way of learning to map read is to do it. Also get yourself lost somewhere safe, with a gps/smartphone as back up, and map read yourself un-lost. Using a compass to take bearings is pretty simple as well. You'll be able to pick it up of youtube or something. But again the key to learning it will be to get yourself lost somewhere safe and navigate out. Good luck, and don't venture somewhere risky without being comfortable with your nav. Maps are meant to be easy to read, otherwise they are failing at their main purpose.
>>
>>1021406
Get a bladder, platypus or whatever, with the tube hanging their by your mouth you will be drinking non-stop. They can be a pain to refill and so on but imo it's worth it. Plus if your pack has a compartment for it you can have your water right up against your back, where it should be as it's one of the heaviest things you will carry.
>>
>>1026194
Just get a decent bag with ~30L capacity. I have one that is 32L and I use to for everything from day hikes to 4/5 day. Hell if I can resupply every 4 days then I can hike for weeks with a 32L.
>>
>>1026194
No you can use whatever you please. But if your just simply walking trails you might as well buy a full sized backpack incase you want to go camping sometime.
>>
>>1022852
I like normal battery powered headlamps.They are extremely light and versatile. Although you might want to buy a spotlight or some shit if you really need to find something in the pitch black woods.
>>
If a state park opens at 7am does that mean I can't run in the trails before then? Or is the schedule referring to other activities? Just moved to the US so I have no idea
>>
>>1026389
that means nothing inside the park boundaries before 7 am.
>>
>>1026391
got it
>>
File: 1386727099833.gif (497KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
1386727099833.gif
497KB, 500x475px
What are the best water filter/purifying options for multi-day backpacking? I've done several 2-3 day hikes and managed with the water I've packed in, so I haven't had to bite the bullet on a filter yet. Planning something longer coming up though, and reexamining my gear.
I'm thinking ideally I'd want something that I can use to refill my water bottles with. Should I do a pump kind? Osmosis? Tablets? Recommendations? Thanks!
>>
>>1025503

Cheater, he shed 30% of his body weight.
>>
>>1026432
Gravity filter and tablets.

Pump filters take too fucking long for most people's water needs in summer, and no filter will get rid of viruses so you have to boil/iodine/bleach/UV it anyway (if you're not willing to risk it). And since all of these take at least 30 minutes to work you need to be able to do bulk amounts of water.
>>
>>1022852
Petzl TacTikka.

Decently bright, red lens will make blood glow oily black, no-bullshit everything-proof, good battery life, not too expensive.
>>
What's the most typical/common way to measure capacity of a backpack?

I know how to get volume from LxWxH, but to what extreme?
>outer dimensions?
>inner dimensions?
>measure at rest?
>measure when fully stuffed?
>>
>>1021120
Got one off of amazon. One of the hip belts was fucked up from being put in the box wrong and there was some loose threads. The Velcro on the mesh pocket on the outside came off the first time I touched it. It is still a fine backpack but I would go with something else.
>>
File: 1480046010109.jpg (963KB, 1400x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480046010109.jpg
963KB, 1400x960px
>>1005297
I know it sounds weak and stupid, but how do I set up an internet connection in buttfuck nowhere?

Bringing a kindle with me while backpacking Europe. That's fine, I don't need the internet for entertainment while hiking and whatnot, it's just that in case of an emergency or something of that sort.... It would be nice to be able to connect relatively quickly.
How do?
>>
>>1026720
ALSO: No phone service. #brokebackpacking if you catch my drift ;-)
but yeah. cellular service is out of the question.
>>
>>1026720
>>1026721
>brokebackpacking
Not sure what gay sex has to do with cell service.

Just get a cheap prepaid phone plan or bum off wifi from cafe's in the towns. Most of Europe is town or farmland anyway, and bumfuck nowhere probably has decent cell service.
>>
>>1026626
You fill the backpack with water and then measure it when it comes out in pounds, gallons or therms depending on what you are trying to measure
>>
>>1026721
Oh you want the free internet available anywhere that's compatible with your Amazon spy device
>>
>>1026432
Sawyer squeeze..it's the best.
>>1026720
Pick up a pay as you go 3g SIM card. You're still at the mercy of coverage but chances are you'll regularly enough get good enough coverage to send emails. Plus if you get a European SIM then there will be no roaming charges as they've been done away with for the whole of the EU. I have a UK SIM the I use all the place to send emails. Plus a lot of places have WiFi so there's that.

Beyond that things get pricey.
>>
Does anyone know of a disposable bottle you can fit a lifestraw into? Largest one i could think of was a 1l gatorade bottle but even that doesn't quite fit

inb4 get a sawyer
>>
When people say "x mile out and back" does that mean x miles there and x miles back or x miles total?
>>
Any one got that screen shot of the anon who doesn't winter in a cabin/on a ranch and went a little crazy. Digging tunnels, making snow men and fighting skin walkers?
>>
>>1028817
when i say it i mean total. otherwise i'll say "x miles each way".
>>
File: this but smaller.jpg (61KB, 736x574px) Image search: [Google]
this but smaller.jpg
61KB, 736x574px
I'm a scrawny guy and had a hard time on a recent canoe trip, but it got me thinking about easier ways to propel the craft. What if you made a compact steam engine for a canoe/small boat? The water is already there and you just need wood/grass to power it.
>>
>>1028972
Steam boats were/are a thing, but doing it with wood and grass is just silly. You would be better off just carrying in gasoline for an ICE.

The best method is to get less scrawny.
>>
>>1028977
>The best method is to get less scrawny
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that. Gas is expensive, heavy, and polluting, with a steam engine fuel is free and everywhere so you don't need to carry a week's worth of it.
>>
>>1028979
A steam engine is more heavy, expensive and polluting.

Fuel is not free because steam engines don't work with wood and grass. You need something that burns predictably. It's difficult enough with coal, with wood and grass you'd likely break the engine almost immediately.

Getting less scrawny is the easiest option.
>>
>>1028982
Steam engines work great with wood, that's largely why the industrial revolution destroyed Britain's forests.
>polluting
It's a hell of a lot less damaging than fossil fuels.
>Heavy, expensive
Citation needed
>>
>>1028992
>steam engines work great with wood
Eh, true, but not in context. Just picking up random deadwood and tossing it in the firebox would not work well.

>It's a hell of a lot less damaging than fossil fuels.
It puts out just as much CO2, and likely significantly more NOx, CO and particulates from incomplete combustion compared to an ICE.

>citation needed (heavy and expensive)
Ok, find me a single steam engine capable of propelling a boat that size. It doesn't exist AFAIK, because there are serious limitations when sizing it down so much. I could order over a dozen of gas powered motors online that would fit this job. In order for this to work you have to fabricate it yourself, or have someone fabricate it for you. That is going to cost significantly more than buying something that already exists and is commonly used.

A steam engine requires a giant ass metal boiler to produce steam and a firebox. It also requires pistons just like an ICE, but I doubt much work has been put into making modern compact steam engine designs.

The amount of fuel you would need would be just as heavy or heavier and significantly more bulky. You also have to worry about water quality, good luck getting good steam production with straight river water.
>>
File: 1969 Chevelle steam conversion.jpg (54KB, 432x289px) Image search: [Google]
1969 Chevelle steam conversion.jpg
54KB, 432x289px
>>1029002
>True, but not in context
Wood is wood, obviously soaked shit wouldn't work but beyond that it doesn't matter at all.
>It puts out just as much CO2
It puts out CO2 that's already in the environment, not nearly as bad.
>find me a single steam engine capable of propelling a boat that size
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_car
They've gotten pretty close in cars.
>something something it's not an established design
It's also so dead simple that doesn't matter.
>giant ass metal boiler
Metal boiler of any size.
>water quality
Slap in a grate to capture big stuff, it's not like they purified the water going into 19th century steam trains.
>>
>>1028972
How bout you just canoe? You will get stronger and better at paddling as you go.

Ffs I'm 110 and I think being little only helps in the canoe.
>>
>>1029013
>Wood is wood, it doesn't matter at all
Yeah, you can spend all day looking for wood and going nowhere. For an engine as compact as this, you need uniform fuel.

>They've gotten pretty close in cars.
A conversion of a car from 1969 is not "pretty close," we are talking about modern engines. Also, car=/=boat.

>So dead simple
A design is a design. If someone is fabricating an engine for you it will be more expensive than the equivalent product you can pick up at your local Walmart.

>Metal boiler of any size
No, a huge ass boiler compared to any gas powered marine engine. You can only make a boiler so small before it becomes inoperable (especially with shit-tier fuel).

>Didn't purify in 19th century
One of the many reasons so many boilers exploded back in the day. Shit in shit out.
>>
>>1029022
It's just an idea I thought of, I don't care about having one.

>>1029025
>Wood is hard to find outdoors
What did he mean by this
>we are talking about modern engines
No, we're talking about an engine design that hasn't changed since the 1800s.
>car=/=boat
The hell difference does it make? Oh wait, none.
>a huge ass boiler
Look up "tiny steam engine" or something, they can be made at any size, for obvious reasons.
>especially with shit-tier fuel
>Agrees that wood is a good steam engine fuel then calls it shit tier
>Shit in shit out
Ah yes, back in the days of three boiler explosions a day because they didn't use reverse osmosis. Oh wait, they were extremely rare.
>>
>>1029043
Great idea anon! Amazing nobody has thought of it before. When your kickstarter goes live please post a link so we can invest in your brilliant idea.
>>
>>1029171
>Everything worth doing has already been done
Wow, that really made me think.
>>
>>1029013
>It puts out CO2 that's already in the environment, not nearly as bad.
that's definitely not how combustion works
>>
Whenever I look at reviews for boots (currently looking at a couple under armor) the main thing I hear is, every pair, every brand, wears and tears after 6 months.

Are people just unnecessarily hard on boots? I rucked for years in the same pair of boots I got from basic training and they're dirty and worn but solid. It's hard to pick one
>>
>>1025503
>bitche's asshurt face
kek
>>
File: undiluted.jpg (5KB, 82x127px) Image search: [Google]
undiluted.jpg
5KB, 82x127px
>>1029245
>boots
>under armor
step 1 to buying boots that last is don't buy them from a company that specializes in basketball shoes
>>
>>1029245
You're probably just looking at chinkshit brands. No reason a good pair of boots can't last years. Look at Danners
>>
How much should I spend on knife sharpening tools?

I know those pocket sharpers are "fine" but I've always wanted to learn how to do it properly and be able to restore edges and such with minimal damage to the knife like you'd get on an electric sharpener.

Is a waterstone set the way to go or?
>>
>>1030082
That depends entirely on your usage.

For most people, a cheapo $3 pull-through sharpener will keep most knives "sharp enough" for routine package opening and zip-tie cutting. They're quick, require zero skill to use, and put an okay edge on everything but the best of the supersteels. You should have at least one, even if it just lives next to your kitchen knives.

However, if you absolutely need a really fine edge on something (woodcarving knives, "no bullshit my life depends on this" knives, etc) get something like a Spyderco Sharpmaker or the Lansky system that has multiple stones and angle guides. They're kind of expensive compared to amazon/walmart tier stones, but they work very well and last forever. They're also cheaper than a good water stone.

Rarely do I sharpen finer than about 800 grit, because with what I'm cutting routinely a superfine edge lasts all of about 3 cuts even with S30v/154cm. The few times I do, like my woodcarving knives, I'll sharpen to about 3000 grit. IMO anything finer than that is pointless as even very soft woods like basswood and balsa will undo 20 minutes' work on a 6000grit stone in one cut.
>>
>>1029245
First off, yes people are hamfisted retards with gear (and everything else in life). Stop looking at reviews on sites you purchase from and start reading forums populated by people that actually know what they're doing. Of course Billyjoebob the drunken clamdigger is going to ruin a pair of hiking boots in 3 months slogging around knee-deep muck 8 hours a day 7 days a week on the clam fields. That doesn't have any reflection at all on the quality of the boot and is akin to watching vehicle crash tests and wondering why none of the cars come away without a scratch.

Second off, your military/military-style all leather high boots are built for durability first, comfort and control second. Yes, they last a lot longer than your tech fabric and faux suede 5-6" hiking boots, but are worse for your feet/ankles and weigh 3-10x as much.

Third off, EVERY company occasionally lets a lemon go out the door. I've had dud gear from pretty much every major brand, and pretty much every major brand will own their mistakes and make it right. It's one of the main reasons to not buy chinkshit from amazon.
>>
>>1030742
Yeah I have basic sharpeners that do okay but my interest isn't very practical. It's just something I always wanted to do, being able to sharpen and grind and restore blades.

I was looking at those kits and I wasn't sure if they're any better than regular stones, especially if I'm interested in a variety of blades.
>>
Headed up to glacier / Yellowstone to do some backpacking and camping this summer. I hear they can get crowded during this time of year. Any /out/its known some good spots?
>>
>>1029043
>No, we're talking about an engine design that hasn't changed since the 1800s
That's the point. Steam engines are simple but shit compared to modern ICE's. Pound for pound an ICE will put out more power. Or phased differently, a steam engine must be significantly larger than an ICE to put out the same power.

>Look up "tiny steam engine" or something, they can be made at any size, for obvious reasons.
Just to put in perspective, here is a boiler meant for marine use.
https://squareup.com/store/tiny-power/item/dia-vertical-fire-tube-boiler

That costs $9000 because is a massive chuck of metal and it requires fabrication. That boiler is only big enough to run a 3-5hp steam engine. Even if you spend the $9000, you still need to buy a steam engine, propeller, drive shaft, water pump, filters, and who knows what else. Sure you can make the boiler any size, but in order to power a boat, it requires a huge ass boiler compared to an ICE.

Meanwhile you can get a brand new 4hp Honda marine engine for <$1500. The whole thing weighs 60 lbs and includes fuel tank, ignition, propeller, warranty, etc.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794283|1794305&id=3594996

> boiler explosions were extremely rare.
Modern water treatment was practically invented because of boiler failure due to poor water quality. If you want high pressure steam then you need high quality feedwater.

If the steam engine were so great, we'd be using them for our cars and boats already. The reason steam engines rapidly fell out of favor after the invention of the ICE is a testament to the superiority of the ICE for mobile systems.
>>
What are some /out/ approved youtubers?
>>
An anon just mentioned an /out/ discord. Can anyone post the details?
>>
So apparently Nalgene and Camelbak caps are interchangeably due to them both being 63mm.

Just wondering if anyone knows if the nalgene sipper thing would also fit in a Camelbak bottle (assuming with a nalgene cap).

Probs would never use it so it wouldn't matter but I'd still like to know before I bite the bullet.
>>
I ordered from /out/ patches almost a month ago and haven't received my package yet. I did pick standard shipping, which I was warned would take a while, but is a month pretty standard turnaround? Or should I be emailing whoever runs the store?
>>
When sleeping under a tarp, how do I keep bugs and snakes from crawling all over me at night? My primary fear is ticks.
>>
>>1035228
Yes they do, and vice versa.
>>1036280
Bug net or bivvy bag. At which point you'd have been better off with a freestanding tent.

Tarps are for areas with no creepy crawlies and mild/calm weather. Which apparently don't exist in North America.
>>
So, how do I find out what are good hunting and camping grounds in my area? Is there a place that reviews them? And is it easy to find out or do I have to do a lot of research?
>>
>>1036305
First stop is your state's department of conservation website. That will list all the state owned (and usually all or most of the Federally owned) areas open to sporting pursuits, by type of thing you can do there.

Otherwise see if your area has a local/state forum (like calguns, canadiangunnuts, etc) and browse the threads.
>>
File: IMAG0528.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0528.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
Is my jerky rotting? I dried it for 6 hours, damn
>>
>>1039015
>He fell for the dehydrator jew

Enjoy your $75 a bag inedible jerky
>>
>>1039025
I made it in the oven, just set to 170 and put on racks and dried it at night
>>
>>1039055
How does it smell? Thats usually a good indicator of food being spoiled.
>>
File: IMAG0527.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0527.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>1039057
Just smells like teriyaki. I might not have done the best job of removing all the fat from some pieces though
>>
>>1039061

>I might not have done the best job of removing all the fat from some pieces though

The other piece looks fine. That one looks disgusting
>>
>>1005297
so much stuff is on georef pdf maps these days. Just download a georef map from your states DNR and use pdf maps or another app. If you need closer than 60 feet you shouldn't be in the woods
Thread posts: 238
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.