[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cabin living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: picrelated.jpg (137KB, 746x546px) Image search: [Google]
picrelated.jpg
137KB, 746x546px
i'm thinking of buying some property in the woods outside of my small town and building a cabin to live in. think of a small hunt camp. any other /out/ists living this life? any tips or ideas?
>>
Will you have a companion?
Will you have power, water, or cell service?
Will you out house?
Will you take your trash to town or bury it or burn it?
>>
>>1004778
Not OP, but looking to start living this life soon (this summer).
>companion?
Wife and son
>power, water, cell service?
solar and wind, well, yes
>out house
No. Composting toilet
>trash, wut do?
Recycle and/or burn
>>
>>1005152
Where will your food come from?
And dont say garden or hunting.
>>
>>1004778
>Will you have a companion?
nope
>Will you have power, water, or cell service?
i want to get a wind turbine connected to a battery bank for power and a well put in for shower/toilet/sink. depending on internet prices and service nearby i'd probably get a hotspot or just wire it in. won't be super far from a road.
>Will you out house?
probably while i'm building it but i'd like to get a well dug so i can shower and have a flush toilet
>Will you take your trash to town or bury it or burn it?
probably take it to town if it's plastics or metals, otherwise burn paper and and compost food

i don't wanna sound like a pussy but i do want some amenities. i like being in the woods but i don't wanna be shitting in the woods and bathing in rivers.
>>
>>1005231
How will you pay for this?
>>
>>1005239
i dunno it's cheaper than a regular house

land: 50,000-100,000
equipment + materials to build house: 4000-8000
logs: free
generator + battery bank: 1500
well: 10,000 (could possibly use rain water)
appliances, wood stove, etc: 3000
other shit: 8000

total: 130,500 at the most
>>
>>1005197
>food source
At first, I'll be relatively conventional (buy 1/2 a hog / 1/4 cow for meat; buy most everything else). Once I'm settled, I'll raise chickens for eggs and meat and start growing food small scale. I do hunt and fish, so that will supplement my diet as well.
>>
>>1005254
It's taxes man that's what gets ya

> +1500 insurance, property tax yearly.
>>
>>1005231
You need a septic tank you dumb fuck, clearly you've never done anything yourself ever.
>>
>>1005258
still cheap compared to regular houses. even small 1-2 bedroom ones around me run $175-300 cad
>>
>>1005276
>leaves "other shit" specifically for things he forgot
>some retard goes ape shit
>>
File: 20170430_180255.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170430_180255.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1004769
Working on it. I live in the desert so no log cabin as there are no trees on my property, but I plan to build a tiny house here. Currently in a travel trailer.

Built a nice little fire pit today.
>>
File: 20170430_180400.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170430_180400.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1005320
Damn 4chan auto tilt.
>>
File: IMAG0725.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0725.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Currently living in a cabin I'm part-owner in. It has electricity, water and plumming, insulation and all that fancy stuff. Too close to neighbours and not enough land. Also, I only own one third so not ideal for making big changes to the property (one co-owner is a total bitch). No hunting rights either but it does have a beach so I can do my fishing two meters from the house. Also an epic view, pic related.

My plan is to invest in my own land and build from scratch, combination of rock foundation and logs and living roof. Make a well, compost toilet, put down fruit trees on day one so they can grow strong. Upgrade to solar panels and wind mill in step two after the main basics are complete. I want to invest in low maintenance crops and the land needs to be big enough to support me, theoretically, so when I expand my operation long term it can cover my needs.

My main problem is that construction and building laws are a nightmare here and it can take decades to get building permits in 'wild' areas. Most people who build cabins build in designated 'cabin' fields where a company get's building permits for an area, then sells it to private individuals or build cabins and sell them as finished products. The cabins often have to be connected to the grid by law and the houses themselves have to be built by code.

I'm young and stupid enough to want to build it guerrilla style instead and just avoid all the legal mess. Since it will be in the middle of nowhere I could get away with it. Problem is that I can't use my work as a way to increase land value as it will be an illegal building (meaning I can't liquidize it as an asset if needed), and also if I get caught building without permits I can receive heavy fines and have to tear it down. I don't have the money to get smacked by something like that. What are my best options here?
>>
>>1005285
Except he mentions having a well dug, but not a septic too. Evidence.of a fool not knowing how things work.
>>
>>1005254
Appliances and a wood stove will be well over 3000.
>>
>>1005276
>>1005393
Again, not OP, but you do not need a septic tank. With a composting toilet you can get away with a poly holding tank (above or in-ground) for grey water.
>getting all assmad when you didn't read the UBC of my state

>>1005395
This. Propane fridge = ~$2k. Nice wood cook stove = ~$2k. Etc.
>>
>>1004769
>i'm thinking of buying some property in the woods outside of my small town and building a cabin to live in.
You aren't going to do this. All of these /out/ fantasy posts are absurd, just flights-of-fancy by people who live vicariously online. Quit fooling yourself and try to make your life better right now, instead of pretending only to find yourself in the same position a year from now.

These "I'm running away" posts are ridiculous.

Have you even gone camping in the last few years, let along hunted? Have you ever built something that wasn't from Ikea? Then how do you think you can go from being a toddler to a seasoned outdoorsman overnight, by reading online?
>>
>>1005471
op here

i mostly refurbish shit that i find on craigslist and the side of the road and use them. i constantly see perfect wood stoves going for $150-300 locally. you'd be amazed at how cheap stuff can be when the owners don't want it.
>>
File: simmlebu.jpg (291KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
simmlebu.jpg
291KB, 2048x1152px
Here's my cabin.
i don't live in it cause its 3 hour walk in the summer and i can't do that if i work.
but i usually live there in weekends and sometimes for a week or two during hunting season.
>>
>>1005487
Did you build it? Looks comfy.
>>
>>1005502
No, my granfather built it in 1959.
it is very comfy, old style cabin with outhouse and a sauna. many good fishing spots around and very nice terrain.

Pic is from last year during hunting season.
>>
>>1005384
do it
>>
>>1005487
Where are you located? Scandinavia?
>>
File: Message_1493601342413.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Message_1493601342413.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1005384
>it can take decades to get building permits

So glad I am in one of the few parts of America with no building codes.
>>
>>1005550
yup
Finnmarksvidda, Norway
>>
>>1005475
This.
Kids here have no idea the effort it takes and skills involved with creating a homestead.
My cabin, which i try to use as vacation, but cant because it needs CONSTANT upkeep, has been standing since 1973. It was built by my grandpa and great grandpa.
I dont pretend to posses the skills it requires to build a log cabin.
However, i do have the skills to maintain it. I spend thousands a year to maintain it because of 6 to 7 ft of snow that is breaking things down slowly.
Last year, the gazebo fell down. Cost me a lot to rebuild that stronger and better than it was.
This year the snow took down the A-frame that was covering our tractor and crawler.
Hoping the crawler didn't get water down the exhaust and ruin it. We use it for logging and it would ruin our operation.
So now i gotta think about spending thousands more on building a bigger better structure and potentially thousands on fixing an international crawler from 1954.

Its not easy. Its not cheap. Its not even a vacation most of the time.
Its work. Its tough. Its uncomfortable

Hope you all have thick skin.
>>
>>1005598
Your cabin sounds like it's in a demanding area, or built very poorly.. I have a cabin built just after ww2 and it rarely needs maintenance. The structure is solid.

There isn't much skill required for a rough log cabin. It's when people get fancy it becomes a problem. If all you need is a one-room, thick-walled, wooden box with a roof and a door, then it is a simple feat. Then you can work from there to improve the situation.
>>
>>1005586
what area?
>>
>>1005631
Again. Youre under thinking it.
>finding trees the same length and thickness
You better have a large property
>falling trees
Need a chainsaw. Fuel. Tools.
>moving said trees
Heavy equipment usually
>trimming said trees
Need a LARGE saw mill and a way to move said trees again
>skinning the trees
Need man power and more tools
>erecting the structure
Moving trees vertically is more difficult than horizontally. So more heavy equipment.
Not to mention all the little things like nails, hammers, squares, levels, and a fucking million other things.
Do you own ALL the necessary tools, and equipment to do this?
Do you have ways to power, and/or fuel said equipment in the middle of nowhere?
Do you have a way to transport heavy equipment?
Do you have the means to pay for skilled help?
Etc etc etc.

My guess is no.

Someone please screenshot my post and use it whenever idiots think they can just build a cabin by themselves
>>
>>1005657
choosing property in the right area is key. Most of the areas I'm considering have loads of spruce and pine in similar size, so material won't be a problem. I also only need about 40 trees for walls, half that if I can cut every tree in half (like with huge pines)

Using chainsaws is horrible. They are loud. Yes they save time, but chopping down trees isn't hard just mildly dangerous if you're an idiot and can't calculate where they fall. An axe will do.

Since wood should dry I can do that first summer, then leave the tree under a simple structure to dry out a year or two. Moving them there means a simple pulley system, meaning rope which is cheap. trimming them means axe again. Skinning them means a good skinning knife or a machete. I have both, most people will only have one, but it doesn't matter. hard work but simple. Work until the work is done.

While the wood dries I can make a rock foundation (ideal) or do concrete which is pretty cheap. Rock is free and can be a replacement for lifting since it's picking shit up and putting it back down again.

Next summer I check on foundation, secure water supply or dig a well, and make sure drainage systems (which I made with the foundation) works well and that there's no danger of moisture and crap, or soggy/sandy clay soil that will fuck up the ground under my cabin site. Check on wood. Probably not done. Plant fruit trees if temperate climate, otherwise map out good berry sites, and as fall hits, study good hunting areas around my site. Build outhouse where the land drains down towards. Make sure it doesn't affect water supply.

Third summer the lumber is ready and I use the books I've read over the winter to make sure the cuttings/fittings where the walls meet make for a perfect fit by cutting/filing down the top and bottom of each log. I again use pulley systems to move logs, and put them in place. Pulley system will mostly be based on climbing equipment and extra rope btw.
>>
>>1005679
You sound like an idiot.
I bet you don't even know what trees are best for a log cabin.
Again you're ignoring the scale of the entire process.
>he's gonna fall trees with an ax
Hahahahahahahaha, ok moron.
>he's gonna skin 40+ trees with a knife
Hahahahahahahah
>he's gonna use a rope and pulley system to move 100ft trees
Hahahahahahahaha

Seriously dude, you're stupid.
Even if you use your half ass retard methods, it will take you a decade to complete and will be utter shit.
I bet you dont even know how to put on a roof either.
>>
>>1005657
>>1005679
So far it has cost me an axe, loads of time for work over the summers and a few years of 'waiting' until it is done. Also rope, a good knife, maybe cement/concrete, and maybe gravel and some plastic pipes for drainage systems.

You seem to believe that people need fancy tools and gadgets, heavy machinery to replace simple but heavy tasks, hired help instead of working themselves.
etc etc etc.

I guess you are a dependent personality, and a bit defeatist.

My point here>>1005631 is that it can be done very simple or very complicated. Look at the cabins made by the first settlers in America. They weren't complicated, and simple farmers with simple tools but good work ethic could make a rough but decent home for themselves. It doesn't need to be a glorious castle. A comfy home will do.
>>
>>1005685
I'm gonna take the bait

>he's gonna fall trees with an ax
yes, anon. you don't need machines that go wroom wroom. people have been chopping trees for thousands of years. And I know how to use an axe
>he's gonna skin 40+ trees with a knife
yes, you can skin one per day and be done in 40 days, although you can easily do more than one in a day.
>he's gonna use a rope and pulley system to move 100ft trees
The trees are not 100ft they are cut to size per wall. And the pulley system cuts weight to 1/32 of the effort, which is enough
>Seriously dude, you're stupid.
cute
>Even if you use your half ass retard methods, it will take you a decade to complete and will be utter shit.
So, by year three I can upgrade from tent to living in the cabin and doing improvement work will be fun. It's not about being 'finished' it's about living cabin life.
>I bet you dont even know how to put on a roof either.
I have actually done this twice already, so I know the basics.
>>
>>1005685
you sound like an unhappy man
>>
>>1005687
And you seem to think it takes 3 years to dry a tree and that climbing equipment designed for humans will hold large logs.

Seriously man. You have brain damage.
And you continue to ignore even the most basic things that I'm telling you.

Even down to your "rock" foundation. You can't just set down rocks and expect this to be level and work.
You would need to dig past a frost line. How you gonna dig that hole? What if your soil is rocky? Won't be doing that with a shovel now will you?

Stop dreaming. Do it right or it will be shit.
>>1005692
You stop playing make believe too.
>fall tree
>need to move tree to be sized
>cant move 100ft tree
Now what? You gonna use that axe on the spot to size the tree? Really?
How you gonna cut it to size without a chainsaw or moving it to a mill?
Fucking tard
>three years to build a half as shack
Thats insane.

>>1005696
Being realistic.
You kids don't seem to understand the whole picture and are dreaming if you think building a structure is easy.
>>
>>1005701
How long do you think an average pine or spruce is layed aside at large logging sites?

>rock foundation
>frost line
No you need groundrock, which anywhere I plan to build is max one meter digging, if not already exposed. rock foundation is easy to lay. Try it, it is actually easy, and it will be leveled using simple tools. you can even use a bowl of water. very expensive, desu.

>fall tree
>need to move tree to be sized
>cant move 100ft tree
what is an axe. it was how I brought it down in the first place.

>three years to build a half as shack
>Thats insane.
it's comfy, and buildt by my own hands. Keep your plastic lego castle, burgerboy. I want comfy shacks.
>>
File: cabin.jpg (265KB, 845x634px) Image search: [Google]
cabin.jpg
265KB, 845x634px
>>1005705
Here's what you will end up with.
Since you don't know what you're doing.
>>
File: the-thick-forest-11.jpg (157KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
the-thick-forest-11.jpg
157KB, 1024x768px
>>1005705
>hes gonna use ropes and pulleys to move a 100ft, 5000lb tree through a thick forest
Oh jesus kid.
You have much to learn
>hes gonna let wood sit for 3 years to dry
Enjoy that rot buddy
>>
>>1005707
yes, that's the size I want, and it will probably look like that after 100-150 years. Maybe my grandkids will visit the site and talk about it. maybe they will camp out there while using the hunting rights for the property. Who knows.
>>
>>1005717
reading comprehention is not your strong suit.
>>
All the rage in this thread is very amusing.

That said, I'm not OP and I still plan to build a cabin this summer. Foundation on footers, stick frame, T1-11 siding and a metal roof (I'll pay someone to deal with the roof). Composting toilet is simple with a gravity fed poly tank for grey water. I'll pay to have a well drilled if necessary, but the area I'm looking at the water table is very shallow - so, I may be able to get away with a point driven well.

What's all the fuss about? Renting a mini-excavator and towing with my truck isn't going to break the bank. Renting a mixer isn't expensive. Rebar is cheap. Carpentry isn't rocket science. Insulating is super easy. Simple plumbing is, well, simple. Solar set ups are getting cheaper every year - with charge controller, inverter, cables, panels all included. Deep cycle batteries can get pricey, but are easy to maintain. Etc., etc.. It's all pretty cut and dry if you look at each step individually.
>>
>>1005276
He doesnt just have a shit pond...
>>
>>1005320
Mix some bentonite clay with sand and build adobe. Shot crete
>>
>>1005586
No fucking shit.
>>
>>1005598
This. I gotta buikd a porch and a garage wall tonight on my shitty house.

It fucking sucks
>>
File: 20170501_073659.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170501_073659.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>1005634
>>1005798
Northern Nevada. Not many trees here, none on my property and I have to dig a well before I can start a garden and get my trail graded so non-4WD cars can get in. But I only have two neighbors within 6 miles of me in any direction. Both of which are great people and helping me get set up while greatly respecting one's own privacy. Everyone this far off the pavement uses solar banks and generators.

Desert life is rough and costly to get set up, but I have 80 acres, plus 3 miles of public federal land on two sides and vacant private land on the other two sides and I am not even 30 yet.
>>
>>1005722
Spelling isn't yours.
>>
>>1005598
This is why you build shit properly the first time.
>>
>>1005921
>This is why you build shit properly the first time.
And how does one learn to build properly? By experience, not reading online and magically being able to do something perfect the first time. Only an inexperience twat would think this.
>>
>>1005921
Who says it wasn't?
Sounds like 44 years and long winters of 6+ feet of snow too their toll.
Not to mention rats, mice, birds, sun, rain, carpenter ants, and human use all having a factor too.
>>
>>1005942
Hate to agree but pretty much this, though I laugh at idiots that don't shovel snow off their roof and whine when their house pancakes.
>>
>>1005258
Depending on the state you live in, you can get ag exemption on your taxes. My aunt and uncle have I think about 180 acres, and keeping about 20 goats on their land means that they only pay $300 a year in taxes. And they DO use the goats for both meat and milk, so it works out pretty well. Also, their land is shaped a little strangely and has a border on a decently sized road, so they erected a billboard there and now they have a contract with an advertising agency that pays them $10k a year for the next 15 years for rights to lease out the board.

They're basically being payed very decently just for existing on the land that they own. If you're smart and you can work it out properly, you can actually make an extremely decent living /out/ there.
>>
>>1005384
move somewhere without regulations that only allow you to build commie blocs
>>
test
>>
I'm gonna do this, including slide
http://www.boredpanda.com/repurposed-wood-pallets-kids-cabin-kurios-arts/
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.