[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WE DID IT REDDIT!!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

>>
Are you ok, OP?
>>
>>1004734
>making fun of reddit by providing evidence you go there
what a faggot
>>
>>1004734
They're persistent, I guess. Can't think of a better way to waste your time while /out/ but if that's what they like to do they're not hurting anybody, and they look sort of neat.
>>
>>1004756
I always build cairns when I go out. I know /out/ hates them and kicks them over, but I like them, I think they are nice.
>>
>>1004734
that ones pretty cool actually.

>counterpoise
>>
>>1004758
Yeah, I never understood why people have such a problem with a pile of rocks. I don't make them, I don't kick them over. I just don't interact with them in any way.
>>
>>1004758
>>1004809
They are used as a navigation device. If you start littering the entire place with them it can majorly fuck with someone's day.
>>
>>1004758
>>1004809
Sure,they look nice. But then another appears. Then another. Then another. Then another. And suddenly your whole trail is ruined by Instagram whores and their cairns. Even look at OP'S image. He built it solely for upboats on Reddit. People just build them to suit their own narcissistic needs.
>>
>>1004809

Because sometimes people want to go into nature and not have to see obnoxious signs of human activity
>>
File: 0.jpg (3MB, 3682x2070px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
3MB, 3682x2070px
heard you guys like cairns
>>
>>1004813
what is context.

do you honestly think that what OP posted, which is supposed to be an artform, will be confused with a cairn as a naviation tool?

one is a series of rocks balanced and fragile, the other a PILE of rocks
>>
>>1004815
and people like you complain about it to suit your own narcissictic needs.

do you stupid fucks really think you have more right to these places than anyone else? get a clue holy shit. yes its annoying

yes when they write their name its really annoying.

nothing you can do about it except go more remote idiot
>>
>>1004843
>artform
This better be bait.
>>
>>1004850

It is not. By using the most mundane of earth's features, he is providing us with with an excellent analogy of the perilous balance the we hold with the earth. As we continue to grow population-wise we must provide the earth with harmonious balance with preservation, industry, and technology lest we become too top heavy and cause irreparable damage as we all get kicked over by the heavy boot of ignorance.
>>
>>1004865
Confirmed bait.
>>
>>1004809

One time there was an inukshuk style cairn on the shore by my campsite (it was an island campsite and it was semi-hidden at the back) and I stacked small rocks on the arms so it looked like it was flipping people off

Also I put a stick in it's crotch so it looked like it had a boner but it had fallen off by the time we left and canoed past it
>>
I love kicking those things over whenever I see them
>>
>>1004865
t. english teacher
>>
>>1004904

If I was an english teacher I would have proofread what I wrote
>>
>>1004734
Shooped
>>
>>1004813
>They are used as a navigation device. If you start littering the entire place with them it can majorly fuck with someone's day.
If you rely on ephemeral rock piles comprised of 3-6 small rocks and not a compass, map, and GPS... you deserve to get lost and should stick to urban parks.
>>
File: beingfuckedinthearsewasgreat.png (16KB, 351x332px) Image search: [Google]
beingfuckedinthearsewasgreat.png
16KB, 351x332px
>>1004941
>Doesn't know the history of cairns.
>What are OS maps
>Never been in <1m viability and known that feeling of joy when you find the cairn marked on the map to confirm that are have been walking in the right direction.
>>>/v/
>>
>>1004850
whether you consider it art or not is beside the point. You are not the ruler of the universe and your opinion isn't law.

Your rage towards a harmless hobby is indicative of your self-loathing
>>
>>1004944
>can't differentiate between featureless alpine landscapes where cairns are found, and low altitude hippy-infested shore lines where stones are stacked in counterpoise
>>
>>1004809
IT IS NOT A HARMLESS PRACTICE

Moving rocks increases erosion by exposing the soil underneath, allowing it to wash away and thin soil cover for native plants. Every time a rock is disturbed, an animal loses a potential home, since many insects and mammals burrow under rocks for protection and reproduction.
>>
>>1005436
every action has consequence
>>
File: cairin.jpg (69KB, 646x431px) Image search: [Google]
cairin.jpg
69KB, 646x431px
>>1004809
they fuck with navigation to some extent.
the force you to check you map far more often, which might suck in bad weather.

and they look ugly ass fuck, if you travel a lot and also visit major sights which happen to be swarmed with tourists. you got sick of them fast, first time it might seem nice and unique but after a while its just annoying. everywhere you see them instead of just a lone path you have reminders that there are people everywhere. of so so so unique cairns.
>>
>>1004809

Because it's pretentious as fuck.
>>
>>1004819
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>1004734

Thats some Goldsworthy stacking right there. I have no problem with this, a fart could blow it over. It probably is gone is a day. It's the solid wall stackings that I don't really appreciate. Those things could last years if not disturbed by man.
>>
>>1005544
Akin to name fags. (you)
>>
File: FullSizeRender-1024x768.jpg (185KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender-1024x768.jpg
185KB, 1024x768px
>>1004828
>>
File: IMG_7465.jpg (876KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7465.jpg
876KB, 1280x1280px
>>1005655
>>
>>1004809
First, when i go hiking, i don't want to be told that someone was whoring himself for some e-fame on Reddit or Instagram here. I want to be o-u-t-s-i-d-e for fuck sake.

Secondly, there are many organism that live under that rock, eggs, larvas, moss or else. When you move it and do not put it back, you fuck them up. Even rolling a rock underwater is bad, so imagine that shit. All for some new-age shit.

Third. You don't have to feel like doing that shit, tagging some rock or carving some tree while you're out unless you are a literal child, no matter what your age may be. And children have nothing to do there. They lack the maturity and sense of responsibility that is needed not to fuck everything up in their wake.
>>
>>1004809
>>1004758
>>1004843
>>1005600

it's actually pretty terrible in riverbeds. most migratory fish spawn in cobbled stone streambeds (silty sandy shit stifles oxygenation to whatever's laid there), so building stuff from the water actively disturbs spawning habitat.
additionally, most of the food for the fish we like to catch/eat lives under those rocks. they're called benthic macroinvertebrates (BMI). all kindsa larvae and worms need stable streambeds. no bugs, no fish.

take trout for example (especially steelhead- protected in some places). they need cold, fast flowing (oxygen rich) water, on cobbled streambed to spawn, and a steady supply of bugs to eat.
building cairns in streambeds fucks all that up

tldr: your photo-op ruined the ecosystem, it's practically spray paint
>>
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/stacking-rocks-wilderness-no-good-180955880/
>>
>>1004848
>nothing you can do about it
I can kick them down.
>>
>>1005827
>all those butthurt comments
Man, I'm gonna go kick some cairns down.
>>
>>1005869
Holy shit all those butthurt people saying shit like "do you wipe away your footprints" when people said they don't like to see cairns. Also the suggestions to put up signs everywhere in nature to mark places where nature shouldn't be disturbed. It's like they'd rather go to a fucking natural history museum than be outside.
>>
>>1004944
>OS maps
Is it even possible to get lost in the British "wilderness"? kek
>>
>>1005655
>>1005656

>Go to the river to do some fly fishing.
>See this shit.

What do? I think I am too easy going to just kick all this crap over but this is extra annoying because it ruins fish habitats so it might be an exception.
>>
>>1005956
One of my first dates with my girlfriend was too that spot while that guy was there building them. She thought it was beautiful, and I thought it was awful. The conservation commission shut it down not long afterwards.

I've explained to her since that it was not only detrimental to the river ecosystem, especially crayfish and the like, but it was also disrespectful to leave obvious human makes on an area that's specifically conserved for everyone's enjoyment of nature. She at least understands why I get so pissed off about people doing stuff like that now.
>>
>>1004848
>people like you complain about it to suit your own narcissictic needs

that's where you're wrong kiddo. We bitch about them because as previously mentioned they litter the trail and ruin the /out/ing. One or two is fine. But a whole fuckton is not.

Also, leave no trace ethics
>>
>>1005956
I'd knock that shit over in a heartbeat. If my fishing spot was littered with pillars like that, it could easily break a fly, break tippet, snag line, etc. So fuck that shit. Not to mention how it would change the river ecosystem and what not. Fuck those pictures triggered me. Why do people insist on doing this shit?

>inb4 someone says fishing is a form of pollution

this implies my line/flies/tippet/etc. is left or thrown in the area. I pack my shit out. Fuck those kinds of fisherman too who leave line and all sorts of shit along the river.
>>
>>1004813
dont be retarded and use a map

i have never needed a rock pile to find my way through a trail
>>
>>1005655
>>1005656
This is mighty gay, it's exactly what I imagine people who never /out/ would do.
>>
>>1005865
so? nature was going to knock it down one way or another. you're just a toddler throwing a tantrum because not everyone is as stuck up as you
>>1006108
>hurr you can have fires but you cant stack rocks
that has nothing to do with leave no trace ethics.
ps you are a literal moron if you cant extrapolate LNT ethics from the seven principles

>ruin the outing
no that's you whining
>>
>>1006110
>Why do people insist on doing this shit?
Because they're manchildren, as said by >>1005667
They want to leave a trace because that's what shitty people do. They can't enjoy the scenery and ambiance (then why are they here in the first place?), they HAVE to change something, to make sure they've left their mark.
>>
>>1006142
Cairns _are_ marked on maps, at least proper ones, that are very useful in low visibility.
>>1005940
Yes it is. Plus cairns aren't UK specific, I use the OS as a catch all for small scale maps. Shoot me.
>>
>>1006160
umm pretty sure part of the appeal of stacking is that it's a TEMPORARY art form.

>>1005940
Don't be trite
>>
File: 1399999999999.jpg (180KB, 559x392px) Image search: [Google]
1399999999999.jpg
180KB, 559x392px
When I find cairns that serve most definitely no navigational purpose I piss on them. Sometimes I knock them over before, sometimes I don't but I always save a little wee to make a toilet as required. Besides the satisfaction I gain from pissing on someones art and wielding my penis around in nature I do feel something like redemption by donating my hard earned body fluids to a tiny spot on this planet that could have stayed untouched by mankind but hasn't.

Same goes for churches.
>>
>>1005544
Hi Ryan, want to go hiking and make some cairns?
>>
>>1004819
Well then get the fuck off the man made trail
>>
>>1005544
its more retarded than pretentious. You seem like the pretentious one here mate
>>
>>1005655
>dude in the water
WHERE IS THE PATH?? I've been in this river for weeks! Why do people make cairns for FUN??
>>
>>1004909
came here to say dis.
>>
>>1006155
>using a false comparison and trying to detract from the original topic because you know you're losing
>not burying your fire if not made in a designated fire pit

And It absolutely has to do with leave no trace, at least partially.
>what is leave what you find
>what is be considerate to other visitors

>that's you whining
not an argument.
>>
>>1006160
>they HAVE to change something
I feel as though these people are equivalent to taggers. I still can't grasp having to leave a mark. It only pisses people off and no ones going to remember you in a positive light for it.
>>
>>1004809
If you don't kick them over then you're part of the problem.
>>
>>1006489
But anon, it's so CREATIVE!
And fun! Everyone's doing it!
>>
>>1004809
It feels fucking good to knock them out
>>
How do you retards who kick over cairns know which ones to kick over? Lol at u!
>>
>>1004758
CIDF detected
>>
File: th.jpg (36KB, 970x539px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
36KB, 970x539px
>>1006729
we just kick them all over to be safe
>>
>>1004734
i gotta say thats pretty impressive. im sure it fell down in less than a minute
>>
>>1005436
Shut the fuck up, seriously.
>>
>>1008003
Nice argument, droneboy.
>>
>>1004758
>>1004756
>>1004809
I go innawoods to get away from people.
Human made structures remind me of what I want to get away from.
These cairns take away the feeling that I am in the wilderness more than a fucking car wreck would. They are an unauthentic trend pushed by hipsters of the most urban kind, who erect their stone phallus of social networking all around dawoods, getting closer to creating
Nature™ all rights reserved (Big bang-Ragnarök)
>>
>>1008250
Also they destroy nature
>>
>>1005655
>>1005656
FUCKING REEEEEEEEE
This destroys the beauty of /out/
>>
>>1008495
I would so rape your mother for not aborting you.
>>
>>1008498
Kys you instagramfag. Don't forget to live stream it and post the link on /b/
>>
>>1008517
>post the link on /b/
>not /diy/
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.