[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smock masterrace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: MONTANESPINEPULLONFRONTC.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
MONTANESPINEPULLONFRONTC.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
Why is it so difficult to find a good Gore-Tex smock, or any at smocks at all? Why don't people go for them?
>>
Pretty sure Arc'Teryx makes one, but since it's Arc'Teryx it's also gonna be about 5 gorillion dollars
>>
>>1004348
It's not, Swazi sell several models. Only drawback is they're handmade in a first world country where the minimum wage is $15.75/hr (that's NZ dollars) so they're not cheap.
http://www.swazi.co.nz/product-category/mens/jackets/
>>
>>1004348
Jackets offer better temperature regulation because they have a full length zip. This is important with Gore-Tex or similar waterproof laminates because staying cool enough in the garment to not sweat is the key to staying dry.

In saying that, I love smocks because they're more comfortable than jackets.
>>
>>1004348
>Why don't people go for them?
because it's just a less practical jacket
being able to open up the whole front of a jacket has several advantages
>>
>>1004348
I much prefer the a e s t h e t i c s of smokes but don't get why people use them. Surely a fully zipped jacket is more practical?

>>1004435
Arc'teryx don't seem to have one, but Patagonia do for a cool $379.00
>>
>>1004348
Patagonia also make a H2No or whatever smock that is very reasonably priced!
>>
What makes a smock a smock?
>>
>>1007775
>A smock-frock or smock is an outer garment traditionally worn by rural workers, especially shepherds and waggoners, in parts of England and Wales from the late 18th century. Today, the word smock refers to a loose overgarment worn to protect one's clothing, for instance by a painter.

The traditional smock-frock is made of heavy linen or wool and varies from thigh-length to mid-calf length. Characteristic features of the smock-frock are fullness across the back, breast, and sleeves folded into "tubes" (narrow unpressed pleats) held in place and decorated by smocking, a type of surface embroidery in a honeycomb pattern across the pleats that controls the fullness while allowing a degree of stretch.
>>
>>1007777
So... a parka with tapered sleeves?
>>
File: smocksmocksmock.gif (24KB, 800x254px) Image search: [Google]
smocksmocksmock.gif
24KB, 800x254px
This thread is the first time this image has ever been relevant for me
>>
>>1004348
>Why don't people go for them?

Cause I live in the desert where I never have the need for Gortex.
>>
Figured this thread would be best to ask: I'm looking for a very light raincoat that'll armor me against strong rain from the knees up; essentially a rain poncho, except something more stylish so I can wear it in public without people thinking I'm a looney.

Would these so called smocks help in this endeavor? Does any one have any recommendations to my query?

I hate umbrellas with a seething passion.
>>
>>1007964
I am much the same with the word pussy.

Pussy, pussy, pussy,pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy,pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy.

Like that. It hardest in public. I rarely go out to public places.
>>
>>1004348

I do, I have Swanndris, fleece bush shirts and rain shells. I find its less restricting when climbing not having the zipper constructing and more comfterable to wear a belt and pack.
>>
>>1004348
Tbh senpai I dont wear synthetic materials

Merino wool is the best under layer
Underwear will melt to your skin in extreme heat if its synthetic
Wool becomes warmer when wet due to god tier heat retention YOU ARE DA SHEEP MAN
And synthetic outer layers will be raped and murdered by a simple bush

I can see the appeal for people that just casually walk on trails on the weekends to get away from their IT job, though
>>
>>1007964
don't knock my smock or i'll clean your clock

:)
>>
>>1004348
I really like smocks. Currently I have a surplus German flectar gortex outer shell. It's wearing out. I would love to find a gortex-like smock in the sub $150 range. Does this exist?
>>
>>1004348
100 Euro at Patagonia
>>
>>1009297
>>1009297

>not gortex
read op foo'

However, how does H2No compare to gortex?
>>
>>1010408
It's a fancy 2.5 layer. The h2no jackets are more equivalent to something like the marmot precip than they are to a goretex jacket.
>>
Fucking americans, buffalo shirts are the goat smock for just about anything wet or cold
>>
>>1011226
As a Montane extreme wearer... Yes they are passable in the wet as long as you keep active, but they would not be my first choice if I knew before hand it would be continuous rain.

Pile and pertex is GOAT in high activity, windy, squally, mixed weather with ranging temps (inc below zero).

Personally I want to try a Paramo smock next, if I can find one at a decent price.
>>
>>1011395
My experience with paramo says that its warm, almost breathable and almost waterproof. Their directional system is good for low level activity in colder conditions, no experience with their smocks tho. Normal ones are heavy so id imagine the weight savings of the smock style is pretty good
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.