[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Temp living via camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I'm possibly losing my housing situation soon and one option I've been considering is camping in nearby mountains and driving into town for work every day. Personally living out of a car/tent seems preferable and possibly better for better for me than renting a room with a stranger. Anyone have experience with this? I'm looking into tent sites that have monthly rates or possibly camping a nearby national forest.
>>
>>1003887

I did this for seven months. Shit was amazing as hell and I'd do it again.

Make sure to keep all your valuables in your car, specially when you go into town. If you got a tent you can easily pack and take with you, I'd do that too, cause people might steal your crap (Some one stoled my tent, I was only gone for 2 hours)
>>
>>1003903
I have random camping gear I got years ago because I was thinking about vagabonding, including a tent, cooking equipment, etc. Did you just pay daily at camp sites, reserve a monthly space, or get a forest pass and camp at random spots in the woods?
>>
>>1003911
Not that guy but I did something similar for 5 weeks. I found a decent spot like 3ish miles from a trailhead on the AT with no restrictions on parking overnight and did that for a bit before I eventually got my shit together and found an apartment.

Wasn't exactly inna woods and I showered/washed my clothes in the shower at a gym in town, but as far as being homeless goes, things could have been worse.

There was a lean to and a semi-functioning well at the camp site so some nights I didn't even bother breaking out the tent if it was already getting dark when I got there. Water filters are handy little gadgets.
>>
>>1003887
I considered this, but I thought buying a van and living in it instead was a better option. I was wrong.

If you follow >>1003903 's advice, you should be fine.
>>
I lived in a tent for five months in Alaska. I didn't have to worry too much about theft too much because it was a group camp for raft guides and the locals knew better than to fuck with our stuff.

I'd say the two most valuable bits of advice I could give are 1) be on constant look out for mold/mildew. Especially on your pad and sleeping bag. Regularly air out your stuff in the sun (unless weather prohibits) and 2) Keep your food out of your tent. Bear safety aside, it's also a good idea preventing insects and critters as well as general cleanliness. Keep everything in hard containers and keep it in your trunk or rig it up a tree.
>>
>>1003911

Nope, I just went deep into a national park, set up shop off the beaten path and called it good.

Now I do got passes and all that jazz for parks, back then I didn't care. Plenty of old abandon logging roads through out it, so I just took one and drove until I found a suitable spot (Probably seven miles in)

There was no water near by, so when I went to town every other day, I'd just fill up jugs of water for cooking, cleaning (that went for dishes, clothes and cleaning myself), drinking. Would usually get food once a week, keep it in a cooler of ice, as well as a lot of mine refregirated food too, also hunted some small game with my 22.

Longest I stayed in my spot before heading to town was a lil over a week, during that entire time I didnt see or hear no one. Entire seven months, the only people I seen was friends I'd bring up, other than that I seen no one, which is kinda scary if you think of it. It was a secluded road that you can tell never got used, so if some thing did happen to me, I'd probably be there for some time before help came.
>>
>>1005344
so u have to keep trekking food a long distance to your camp? That's the only problem I see here and is why I haven't just move innawoods even though I really want to.

I know some stuff doesn't go off but I like my fresh fruit and vegetables. Apples, is one I guess if you get them fresh, a lot of apples for sale have already been in cold storage for months.
What did you eat?
>>
>>1005346

Nah, it was pretty much car camping. The spot I camped at must've been a spot for logging trucks to back up into, so they can turn the truck around and drive back. So it was only like 15 feet wide, probably 50 feet back before it dead ended. So I'd drive to the end of that path and set up there. Again, seven ish miles on a road that is never used, so I didn't feel to be as discrete.

I eat lots of meat and I'm a breakfast fan. So lots of bacon. Also had usually a bag of chicken, some sort of beef product (Mostly hamburger, some times a steak)

Eggs.
Ramen.
Bananas and apples.
Trail mix with Jerky.
Beer.
Rice and beans.
Cheese.
Crackers.

Didn't eat much canned goods, that shit is usually high as fuck is sodium.

When I went into town, I'd usually grab a few things at like subway, keep them in my cooler too.

Same time, I didn't eat as much as I should have. In a three month period, I lost both my parents and my only sibling, so I kinda had to check out and get away, I went camping to get away.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.