[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suggestions for non dehydrated/MRE meals? for backpacking as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Unknown.png (34KB, 166x194px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.png
34KB, 166x194px
Suggestions for non dehydrated/MRE meals? for backpacking as ultralight as possible. Perishables ok.
>>
non-dehydrated becomes a question of calories and nutrition. like you could theoretically bring peanut butter, starches/sugars, and multivitamins. i was packing a non-perishable kit just now and was putting in a protein powder of powdered lentil/oatmeal/quinoa, deciding on either a brown rice or teff flour, peanut butter, then other accoutrements.

otherwise, the staple options are de-constituted rice like uncle bens, cheeses, meats, and other nutritional considerations
>>
>>1003188
So you want easy to cook/no cook, light to carry, not technically dehydrated $12/meals?

Ramen, dried fruits, nuts, oatmeal, powdered soups and chocolate all have right around 3.6 cal/g. Sugar has 4cal/g, so tea is pretty efficient on calories as well. Adding a splash of safflower or avacado oil to your meals (9cal/g) will allow you carry a little less or get a little more energy out of your carry weight. But in my experience, what you carry isn't nearly as important as gorging yourself on cake, donuts, burgers, beer, sodas, and loads and loads of fresh fruit when you get the chance to make up for the severe calorie losses that you'll suffer if you're planning on walking 20+ miles/day.

Also, get yourself some disposable cups if you're doing oatmeal; the calories you'll burn carrying them is nothing compared to the calories you'll save by not having to scrub out your only cookpot.
>>
>>1003246
Add summer sausage/cheese tortilla wraps to that.
>>
Peanut butter
>>
>>1003188
activated almonds
>>
>>1003188
Knorr pasta sides and rice sides cook up in like 5 mins. they are in the green bags at supermarket, get the ones with labels that say "cooks in seven minutes" for best results. Idahoan or any instant mashed potatoes dont even need cooking, just add as much water as you want. Ramen is 30 cents and is instant.

Order dehydraded beans online, those will cook instantly or just add water and soak a little while to eat cold. Powdered cheese and fritos are a great addition to this.

Toilet paper tuna is super easy and exceptional for a treat, buy tuna packed in oil, put two sheets of TP on top flat and let the oil soak in. Light the corners and let it cook until most of the oil is gone, then scrape the charred part off.

then you have the standard no cook no prep shit like cliff bars, granola, gorp, nature valley, uncrustables, salami, cheese, jerky, nuts, peanut butter, nutella, dark chocolate, sour patch, fruit roll up, and my all time favorite trail food: snickers

Mountain house meals are for cucks and shills and MREs are for wanna be tacticool faggots. Getting creative once you have a little experience is easy.
>>
File: 1489376418069.jpg (104KB, 880x567px) Image search: [Google]
1489376418069.jpg
104KB, 880x567px
>>1003342
>Toilet paper tuna
>>
Beef jerkey
>>
>>1003342
>MREs are for wanna be tacticool faggots

Is there anything else that's that calorie and nutrient dense? One MRE is something like 3000+ calories if I recall correctly. You could go go for hours on one tube of fake cheese.

It seems like any creative alternative is just going to take up more weight and space for no other reason than backpacking fashion.
>>
>>1003582
what is pemmican
what is trail mix
what is any dehydrated food

moron
>>
>>1003594
Just asking a question, bro.
>>
If you want something simple, it's hard to go wrong with a classic. Beans, rice, and spam.
>>
OP here. Ramen is my go to I've been spicing it up with self made dehydrated vegetables ut it gets boring after a while. good idea with the paper cups washing out an oatmeal dish is a pain in the ass
>>
>>1003188
They all suck. Peanut butter. Coconut oil. Summer Sausage. Hard cheese. Tuna Packs (not the cans). Dehydrated fruit if you want.
>>
>>1003624
+1 for spam.
How'd you take you beans out though? Cans heavy. Swap out rice for tortillas as well. That's easier to eat and goes with more things like penut butter
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.