[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wild edibles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: the forbidden fruit.jpg (120KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
the forbidden fruit.jpg
120KB, 600x400px
wild edibles thread.
Anybody have experience eating mayapple apples, "the forbidden fruit"? As I understand it these are toxic except when eaten at the right time of year. My questions are:
>Why does the fruit become less toxic as it matures?
>How do I eat this fruit without killing myself?
>>
>>1003179
>How do I eat this fruit without killing myself?

Don't. Trust me, it doesn't taste that good.
>>
>>1003179
You usually need to put a cage over it to prevent animals from eating them before you can get to them when they are almost ripe. Then you can allow them to ripen fully. They are fine, the worst you can do is eat unripe ones and get a terrible stomach ache and the shits 4 hours later.

They don't taste very good at all, fyi. It isn't like an apple, more like a vegetable. Kind of how a pepper is a fruit, but is a vegetable in culinary terms.
>>
>>1003179
Are those the starfruit from The land before Time?
>>
>>1003179
>wild edibles thread
I love this idea!

Okay, let's see... Wood sorrel, nettles, lilies, dandelion greens, burdock, cattail, grasses, ginseng, and I'm sure I'll post again when I'm not half asleep.
>>
>>1003294
Cattail is edible? Damn. What part, how?
>>
>>1003379
Pretty sure the entire thing except the fuzzy part
>>
>>1003379
Edible parts: The lower parts of the leaves can be used in a salad; the young stems can be eaten raw or boiled; the young flowers (cattails) can be roasted. Yellow pollen (appears mid-summer) of the cattail can be added to pancakes for added nutrients.
>>
>>1003379
The starch in the roots, the extremely young and tender shoots, the "hearts" of the inside of the short shoots, the very young immature green "flower," and the pollen.

To use the starch you have to process it out of the fibrous material. Digging them up is a lot of work, fyi. To get the hearts, from 2 feet tall or shorter plants, you pull the shoots off as low as possible then peel off the outer blades until you reach the white center near the bottom. You eat the sections that you can easily pierce with your thumbnail. The pollen can be used like a flour.
>>
Red clover
>>
File: rose-bushes-with-ripe-hips-1500.jpg (147KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rose-bushes-with-ripe-hips-1500.jpg
147KB, 1500x1000px
>>1003179

Rose hips are pretty dank.
>>
http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php?ctgy=edible_plants&region=on

guide for ontario but most of these grow in the northeast states
>>
File: OXYRIA DIGNYA.jpg (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
OXYRIA DIGNYA.jpg
69KB, 500x500px
>>1003179

In the Alps you get a clover looking leaf called Mountain Sorrel. It doesn't really fill you up, but its super sweet. Tastes like sour apples.
Its real nice to pick a bunch and chew on whilst hiking on the hilltops.
>>
Right now in The South the honeysuckles are blooming and are fun to suck the nectar out of. Not exactly high nutritional value.
>>
File: ewe gross work.png (588KB, 436x475px) Image search: [Google]
ewe gross work.png
588KB, 436x475px
Let's switch gears to bugs.

My question is: can you eat just any grub that you find? Obviously there are many species of poisonous beetle, which are easy to identify because they are brightly colored, slow moving, or smelly. But all grubs look the same. Is a poisonous beetle's grub necessarily poisonous?

My brother and I are having a "worm-bake" tonight, eating earthworms, slugs, grasshoppers, and we'd like to add grubs to the menu.
>>
>>1004286
Define grub. If you're talking June bug or Japanese beetle grubs that you find on roots or in the sod, they're edible if you don't spray for pesticide and shit. Other than that, cook them, and you should be fine.
>>
>>1003179
Juniper Berries are great edibles!
Best in the fall. During the spring they taste really bitter and kinda like turpentine. The place I get them is off of the juniperus virginiana tree, but the grow on other species, too.
Be sure to research that crap because there are toxic variants out there too, but generally the good ones grow on trees, not shrubs
>>
>>1004298
>Define grub
Beetle larvae that live in the soil.
>>
>>1003386
>>1003384
>>1003379
les stroud ate the roots in one of his episodes didnt he? theyre tubers iirc
>>
>>1003294
>this

most weeds, dandelion, purslane, mallow, chickweed, clover, those sour things that look like clover but have heart shaped leaves, most flowers are nutritious and high in vitamin c.
>>
>>1004286
You need to properly prepare the insect before you even try eating it. All plant eating insects must have their digestive tracts cleared before eating them. This is to remove any toxins from poisonous plants they may have eaten. They may not be affected, but you will be if you eat them without clearing them. It is a common practice to feed carrots to snails and wait for them to poop orange before using them as food.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.