[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SAK Trekker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: victorinox-trail-master.jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
victorinox-trail-master.jpg
16KB, 355x355px
Hey /out/, what's your opinion? I've had it for 7 years and no complains.
>>
File: black_huntsman.jpg (57KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
black_huntsman.jpg
57KB, 650x650px
That's a handsome knoife OP. I'm a Huntsmanfag myself. No big difference †bh, although I do prefer the traditional handle to the ergonomic design. Also the Hunty has two blades which has come in handy - the big one for everything and the little one strictly for foodstuffs.
>>
>>1002747
That's a nice looking knife you got mate.
>>
>>1002744
Gay, you're missing the two most important knife features, an actual knife (all knife no saw bs) and nail clippers
>>
>>1002750
not OP but that blade is so very lightly serrated that I really don't see the problem. also, those subtle serrations keep the blade sharper longer. taint no think m8.

also,
>nail clippers
psh kek
>>
Victorinox make good knives, my camping is 30 years old and good like when was new
>>
>>1002744
Your knife looks exactly like my Trekker (except I opted for the no serrations blade). I kept looking for the smallest difference that would distinguish a trekker from a trail master. Cannot find one, give up and go on google. Victorinox changed the name of the trekker to the trail master.
>the more you know
>>
>>1002744
Sweet as fuck, I was on the search for the plain edge, one hand open blade but couldn't find it anywhere in euro online stores, amazon.com had it but import tax would assfuck me and I don't enjoy that shit.
>>
>>1002847
why not just make a trip to Switzerland lad? If you live in the EU it's probably a pretty short train ride away
>>
>>1002747
I have the Huntsman too. Mine is the "old" version without a hook.
The main blade is worn out from sharpening.
>>
>>1003065
Well I should be able to find it online, and I don't know if I could even find it there anyway. Plus I live in the westernmost part of Europe.
>>
>>1003067
I'm glad they added the hook, after the large blade and scissors it's probably the tool I use the most.

>>1003076
ah, fair enough
>>
>>1002744
classic. loved by all people of all skill levels. concise tool selection
>>
File: 41aiwfFyseL._SY300_.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41aiwfFyseL._SY300_.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
I was thinking of getting this does anyone have any experience with it
is it any good ?
>>
>>1003159

I have one, yeah. Good knife, the rubberised grip is comfortable to hold and the serrations on the knife itself are actually really well placed.
>>
>>1003159
Was thinking of getting one but I already have a Huntsman so I'll probably just get a Mora desu.
>>
>>1002847
If the model exists, just call up your nearest distributor and get them to be order it in. It'll get sent with the store's next batch so no import fees.
>>
>>1002750
>two most important knife features

hmm ok

>knife

ok?

>nail clippers

you wot mate?

I was expecting you to say scissors desu
>>
>>1003159
It's decent.
One hand opening and locking blade are nice.

Serrations are mild and don't interfere with cutting.

The longer saw helps a lot.

With a little practice you can open the regular ones one handed too.

Also being the official Bundeswehr knife mskes it way cool.
>>
>>1003159
Can opener and Phillips head were what I ended up using most. Usually have a better blade on me.
>>
File: supertinkle.jpg (19KB, 403x465px) Image search: [Google]
supertinkle.jpg
19KB, 403x465px
Super tinker is where it's at
>>
>>1002744
Is it a Leatherman Wave?

Didn't think so.

/thread
>>
>>1003543

The fuck do you need pliers or a screwdriver for when /out/?
>>
>>1003556
Fishing for example.
It is just Handy to have a leatherman, don't you think so?
And it has like 30 Years warranty
>>
>>1003543
>not the SURGE
plebs
>>
>>1003579
btw any american anons could "dropship" me a surge? it costs twice as much as buying straight from leatherman here and you get 5yo models if you are lucky. leatherman does not ship outside of us as far as i can tell.
>>
>>1003543

/Threading yourself... Cocksucker
>>
File: 20170429_185912.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170429_185912.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>not getting a ranger wood 55
>>
>>1004353
>nice, but its nothing compared to the Red Alox Farmer.
>>
>>1004353
>not one-handed
Isn't that the whole point of getting the large SAKs?
>>
>>1004353
Wow thats fucking beautifull
>>
>>1002744
yes i have one also.
it's a great tool to take backpacking, but not the best for everyday carry.
i have an older style cold steel recon 1 tanto for that.
>>
>>1004471
Longer locking blade and longer saw
>>
>>1002758
same, mine's a bit scuffed from sharpening it though, still use it all the time, basically, the best shit ever made for everyday use.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (364KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
364KB, 1920x1080px
i have the farmer
damn nice knife, i love the awl and the saw, just wish it had a smaller blade too instead of the can opener
>>
>>1004599
I use the can opener way more than the second blade †bh. But maybe that's just because I'm a poorƒag
>>
>>1004353
Yeah it's a great knife but there's just something about using a nail nick to open a blade of that size that just seems wrong.
>>
>>1004599
Nah man the nib on the top of the can opener is perfect for Phillips head screws
>>
I wish there was an option to choose what handles and tools you want in your SAK.
>>
File: 1493551950054660134395.jpg (279KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1493551950054660134395.jpg
279KB, 720x1280px
>>1002744

Oh hello
>>
>>1004471
Locking blade and the more ergonomic handle shape made the deal for me. And it didn't have that giant 'eye' then, just a nick to open.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20KB, 493x402px
>>1004609
wll i wish there was an option for you to shut the hell up!

naaaaaaah just joshin' m8! that's not a bad idea actually, and they've probably offered that at one time or another but i'm sure custom jobs are expensive.
>>
victorinox masterrace
>>
A friend wanted a good pocket knife, got him a Spartan for less than 15 bucks, I doubt you can find a better knife for that price.
>>
>>1004647
i just replied to you on /k/ lmfao
>>
File: wenger.jpg (54KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
wenger.jpg
54KB, 800x800px
hallo, felow wictorinox! ich am der real sviss knive, not fake tryink du trick poeple! ha ha chees und cückü cloch ich am so sviss knive!
>>
Why is there no

>knife
>scissors
>saw

SAK? I'd even take the flathead opner and awl
>>
>>1002744

My opinion is: Buy a Leatherman.
>>
>>1004937
victorinox is way better quality from a purely technical perspective they are sturdier better quality materials are used more robust

leatherman is way way better design and ergonomics, also more willing to get into memes

so whatever is more important to you
>>
>>1004711
from wikipedia:
>Wenger was acquired by rival Victorinox in 2005.
>>
>>1004979
Meaning they were rivals for the better part of 100 years. Adunno, I really didn't mean anything by that post. I just thought it was kinda funny how Wenger seemed to actively try to imitate Victorinox.
>>
>>1003159
Dutch army uses those i think. I used one of those when i was in the army it was pretty good though the plastic casing is pretty cheap and will let lose in a couple of years.
>>
>>1003159
I have this, wish i had trekker. Tweezers and "toothpick" is great
>>
>>1004937

Your opinion is: disregarded.
>>
File: 1493931663029-1373000370.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1493931663029-1373000370.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Been carrying this spartan for a while.
Been curious about a trekker or soldier but decided against it because it seemed like that liner lock would get munged up with dirt and grit, and that huge eye would catch cheese or whatever when using it for food. Was I wrong? Should I get one?
>>
>>1007825
>Was I wrong?
nah
Should I get one?
nah

Your knoife is fine m8. Also take it from me, when you buy a new knife to replace one you love that's perfectly good, you feel like garbage. You don't need a new knife, you already have one.
>>
>>1007825
dunno if you feel safe with a non locking knife and okay with two handed opening and closing then no. i couldn't deal with that shit tho that is why i never use my swiss.
>>
>>1007825

A locking single blade knife is generally the best and safest for EDC unless you really need bottle openers.

Pretty sure Victorinox makes one that also has tweezers
>>
>>1007825

Shit doesn't really get clogged man and it washes out easy anyway.

Should you get one? I have a tinker for edc and simple shit at home, but def need a more hardcore model for out, so I got the non mil version of the soldier that has the toothpick and tweezers.
>>
>>1002744

Does that blunt tip bother you? What if you want to pierce something?
>>
>>1008197
What you mean like you'd do with the awl?
>>
>>1008196
I never carry only the sak spartan for out, always bring a sturdier blade too. The sak is fine for most things, but those blades are easy to break if you're doing anything more than light use.
>>
>>1007825
>Corkscrew
Oh yes.
>>
>>1003317
>scissors

This right here. I use the scissors on my Leatherman squirt ps4 the most. I'll never daily carry something without scissors again.
>>
>>1008715
What on earth are you doing to find such a frequent use of scissors? They are closer to the bottom of the list for me. Just about anything I would use scissors for could be handled with a knife. Specially outdoors. My top two priorities on a multi function knife are the knife part and then probably pliers. For /out/ a small saw is nice for crafting but only desired when being part of a smaller kit that doesn't include a larger version. Also up there on the list is something to pry or gouge with. Whether it be a file or screwdriver or awl. Being able to feel comfortable doing the abuse work you wouldnt put a blade through is nice.
>>
>>1004711
Kek

>>1008733
This is mostly for /in/ since I have it on my keychain. It's great for trimming a loose thread, cutting something out of paper and a bunch of other stuff I would tell you if I wasn't so tired. I can't remember much right now other than it's handy as fuck and I use it way more than I ever thought I would when I first got it.
>>
>>1008600
You know it, buddy. F that Philips head noise.
>>
>>1008733
I use them to cut stray nose hairs or hairs on my cheek line. Rogue cuticles too. Otherwise main use it for cutting cardboard for roach.
>>
How useful is the little saw of a SAK actually? It doesn't seem to be long enough for sawing through larger firewood, and smaller branches can be simply broken by hand, so I don't see its utility.
>>
>>1009484
When you actually want to do something with the broken branch aside from burning it, it can be nice to have a clean cut and not a shattered/splintered end.
>>
>>1002744
Tfw when I like the sak soldier scales but the forester corkscrew instead of that useless screw driver and they don't make it.
>>
>>1008279
I wouldn't get the awl out for a half a second job like piercing a plastic bag or some shit. Also you can't stab something to pick it up without a sharp point on it.

>never being able to eat like rambo
>>
>>1008281

>like use

What the fuck are you doing to break a sack blade, jamming it in to logs? Sounds like you're either not using the tool for what it was designed for.
>>
>>1009484
Notches for traps, joints for building,

It's very useful.
>>
>>1008600
yeah I really love wine and sometimes i like to bring a bottle with me, corkscrew SAK can be a lifesaver for your /out/ dinner
>>
>>1009792
Yea, that was exactly my point, dummy. I carry a heavier blade because the sak wasn't designed for heavy use.

Ah the internet. Where you can't even agree with people nicely.
>>
>>1009829
>>1008600
Tbqh the thing I use the corkscrew for most is getting dirt out from under my nails.
I'm willing to bet there's a lot more out uses for the corkscrew than the Philips head.
>>
>>1009856
I used the tip of blade as screwdriver many times while, about corkscrew, Switzerland borders Italy and France so I think, traditionally, it was designed for be sold there. Maybe future generations of SAK gonna be without corkscrew because global market require a more useful tool.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.