[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /out/ I hiked in these used Austrian army combat boots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 12

Alright /out/ I hiked in these used Austrian army combat boots I got for $30. I just got back from a two night/three day hike where I covered a modest 22miles. I had roughly a 35lb pack and was in fairly rugged terrain (no flat areas, some decent scrambles up and down). It rained for a few hours both mornings I was out and I had one unavoidable stream crossing where I left my boots on.

Here's my short review, questions and disquss if ya want.
I'm a 11/11.5 so I got a 44 (euro sizes). They were a little big, but fit ok with big socks. Wore them around for a few weeks. Figured out a comfortable lacing for them. Took them to my uncle's farm and rode horses/shot guns/did country things in them for a weekend and felt confident enough to make a go of them.

Before I left I did two things. I soaked them in hot water (some boiled in a kettle, but also just hot from tap in bath) to shrink them a little. Also polished them.

Went hiking expecting a need to turn back. Left my usual hiking footwear in car. Brought 1 extra pair of similar thickness socks, 1 pair of nylon dress socks (as liners) but never used them. & 1 pair extra super thick sleeping socks which barely fit in the boot (also never used for hiking).

Tbh, they were pretty comfy. The soles left a little to be desired- even if they were new- I can't imagine the tread pattern doing well on slippery rocks/logs. I dumped out the water after the stream crossing (dunno if that matters). All in all pretty good. Thinking about chopping down the boot because I don't lace the top two eyelets. Also- the back heel of the right boot split a little. I'm going to use my upholstery needle and some floss + shoe goo to fix it, but kinda sucks- we'll see how it turns out.
>>
>>1002391
Glad you enjoyed yourself out in the woods with affordable gear.

I too have used similar boots for years.

I think pic related may be higher quality though, they're 10 inches, full leather and the brand is Altama.

P.s. get ready for the losers on /out/ to attempt to discourage you from being different than them

(They're just sad about their hemoragging bank accounts)
>>
>>1002391
Kommando Store?
>>
>>1002449
Yea they have those. Only thing you should know is the soles will be worn and you may need new laces. I recommend an insole.
>>
>>1002449
Yessir. I don't think they went out of stock but could be wrong. They're still on the net, I just like that place and the price was fair.
>>1002473
Insoles might b e my next step. Kommando store shipped w/ new laces.
>>
>>1002448
tanx anon. Don't know if I'd rec these to an beginner (esp since they came a bit on the big side), but I could see myself doing a longer hike or two in these in the future.

Those are nice looking boots you've got yourself! I was thinking about the rothco jungles but heard too many horror stories I decided to go w/ someting else
>>
>>1002473
>>1002477
>Kommando store

That's where I got mine. Definitely throw some insoles in them. They're shockingly comfy.
>>
>>1002391
>>1002448

Former Military fag here. Don't buy military issue boots. They are durable but they absorb little to no impact which wear on your knees and back.

Spend the money to buy something thats going to treat your body a little better. It may not hurt now but all that jumping, large steps, etc will add up when you are carrying gear on your back.

Sierra Trading Post constantly has boots and trail runners on clearance for under 50 or 60 bucks. I got a pair of Salomon Quest on clearance for my baby foot size 9 for $81 from $270
>>
>>1004740
>joining the military when you have weak baby joints

Idiot
>>
>>1004767
>implying almost everyone who served doesn't have shit knees and back after

Oh no, I'm so angry now.
>>
>>1004774
>because a lot of idiots with shit genetics do this it makes it normal or okay

There are endurance athletes and then there are people that pretend to be endurance athletes

You're a pretender and an idiot
>>
>>1004767
>>1004785
>>
>>1004767
>>1004785
Stop shitting up this thread. He's right, you're not even wrong because all you do is spew insults.

As for the boots: if you have healthy joints, do little walking or walk mostly on soft ground, with little weight and use cushioning insoles... it may be acceptable, comparably.
>>
>>1004829
>people are born with varying levels of joint dexterity

>just insults

No seriously some people aren't meant to do anything but sit in a chair.

Lots of people try to ignore this.

Fact is if you have chronic pain it's because you ignore the basic reality that you weren't bred for the activity.
>>
>>1004832
>Athletes who have joint pain are pussys and true athletes never have any lasting effects

Lol are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: IMG_0066.jpg (185KB, 1682x2198px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0066.jpg
185KB, 1682x2198px
>>1004767
>mad at a post giving real advice and solution because someone in the military probably came in your girlfriends face and all you can do is cry about it
>>
>>1004840
>>1004842
>still blatantly ignoring that joint dexterity varies between people

Just because things can be done doesnt mean they should.
>>
>>1004767
>>1004785
>>1004832

lol wat, you can't be telling people they aren't made for this shit if you're not working a job that requires walking tens of km's everyday.

I've been an infantry soldier for 10 years and I wish I bought proper boots and insoles when I was new. I always tell younger dudes if they're going to buy their own kit spend good money now. For example buying a good pair of LOWA's vs some shit SWATS. In my countries military the issued boots are literally trash made by the lowest bidder. Any $80 hiking boot is much better for comfort.
>>
>>1004891
I do work a much harder job than being a grunt :^)

P.s. you have low joint dexterity

Stop being an ego driven tough guy because you arent actually a tough guy
>>
>>1004895
Are you a forest fire fighter wearing surplus military boots? Cool dude.
>>
the irony of steel toe 9" black combat boots is that everyone in the US navy has to wear them regardless of job. The pencil pushing little black LT lady wear the same boots as the 6'3 machinist mate taking logs in the engineroom. You end up being able to tell what kind of work someone just by looking at their boots. Digits with office jobs, and chiefs or LPOs that no longer do hard work all have spit shined boots meanwhile the e3 in deck division who paints 10hrs a day wears boots are more gray than black and have rusty steel showing through the leather.

After being forced to wear bates boots that wear out before they are fully broken in, I will pass on milsup shit. Redwing 8.5" steel toe in black are well worth the price tag for boots to wear in uniform. Otherwise i will stick to merrel, columbia and any general trail runners while /out/
>>
>Joint dexterity/proneness to injury varies
>If you're below my arbitrary cutoff, you shouldn't do stuff in the first place
>Also ignore all the technology that will fix the problem
>Also you're all stupid
Just leave.
>>
>>1004740
this is OP.

I appreciate your advice. Tbh there's many faggots on this board that should take an ounce of that sageitude.

For me tho, I can't say I agree. I run barefoot often, and actually really liked the hard sole feel. In that sloppy wet it was nice to have something that cut in the mud hard. Bear in mind I had a much lighter packweight than your average military joe and I wasn't making big miles.

Here a more general idea that I'd like to throw out there. These boots are also made with alot of road walking and that kinda bullshit in mind. They were made and chosen because they are easy to manufacture/cheap for the army/ and steeped in tradition where you gotta have boots you can polish.
>>
File: FIREMANFIREMANRUNASFASTASYOUCAN.jpg (72KB, 640x546px) Image search: [Google]
FIREMANFIREMANRUNASFASTASYOUCAN.jpg
72KB, 640x546px
>>1004895
hi booboo.
>>
File: firemanboots.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
firemanboots.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>1004895
vroom vrooooooom!!!
>>
File: MOAR NARUTO.jpg (35KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
MOAR NARUTO.jpg
35KB, 728x546px
>>1004895
GOTTA GO FASTTTT
>>
File: No Bewtz NARUTO.jpg (48KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
No Bewtz NARUTO.jpg
48KB, 728x546px
>>1004895
SO FAST. Look at me I'm goin' 19mph here.
>>
File: NARUTO.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
NARUTO.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>1004895
OOOOOH SHITT gettin' up ta 22 mph here. It's all about the bewtz.
>>
File: boots.jpg (116KB, 588x769px) Image search: [Google]
boots.jpg
116KB, 588x769px
>>1004895
MOM I TOLD U NOT TO WASH MY JEANS!!!
>>
>>1005273
i gotta say anon this is top quality work
>>
>>1005277
>>1005278
>>1005279
Do you keep those Naruto pics just for when you meet that fireboots guy?
>>
>>1005273
Ran a 4:45 today on a trail with you in mind :^)

Wore muh bootz :^)
>>
>>1005773
I'm normally on /k/ is the fire boot guy a consistent poster here or something?
>>
File: FIIIIIIIREBOOOOOOOOOTZ.png (380KB, 1024x1219px) Image search: [Google]
FIIIIIIIREBOOOOOOOOOTZ.png
380KB, 1024x1219px
>>1005780
you're a very special boy!
>>
>>1007085
Not my fault that you're slow =)
>>
File: 5521345.png (398KB, 960x554px) Image search: [Google]
5521345.png
398KB, 960x554px
>>1005780
Fireboots-cuck is back! Let the shitposting begin.
>>
>>1007317
And running faster than ever unlike you with your wittle babbie legs ;)
>>
>>1007324
Lol dude, this is great. Our own resident shit poster. All we gotta do post running memes and you'll show up.
>>
>>1007337
>show up
>implying I leave
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.