[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2017 NA Solar Eclipse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: nasa_eclipse_map.jpg (131KB, 851x437px) Image search: [Google]
nasa_eclipse_map.jpg
131KB, 851x437px
In about 4 months NA will be getting it's first decent eclipse in quite some time. Any of you guys got /out/ plans involving the eclipse?

Google map of the trajectory:

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html
>>
Who /telescope/ here? I'm going to be getting a sun filter to look at the eclipse directly.
>>
I'm planning on flying out to Oregon to do some touristy driving for a few days but then ultimately hiking Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson. Hood will be a few days before the eclipse but I plan to be on Jefferson the day of the eclipse since it is almost exactly within the path of totality.

These hikes are a little bit above my usual comfort zone so I will be playing it cautiously, especially since I will be going solo.

I guess what concerns me more and maybe someone else can relate a similar experience is the "hysteria" effect that the eclipse will have on the area logistically. From what I can gather online Jefferson does not see a lot of traffic compared to other more popular mountains. It's unclear to me how well marked the trails are (besides part of it being on the PCT) and how much room is available for parking.

Jefferson is the highest point in Oregon that will fall under the totality of the eclipse. I know that I'm not the only one who realizes this so I'm expecting a large crowd of people. The park ranger in me foresees a lot of trouble that day. I'm envisioning trying to park my car on a highway and having to walk 5+ miles just to reach the trail-head. Or a fellow ranger/law enforcement turning me away because they're at maximum capacity. The scariest part is all the people with no /out/ experience who could end up in a really bad spot or simply be a collateral risk to others.

Anyone had any experience with dealing with a situation like this? I'm not too worried I just like to be prepared. I've seen a lot of similar behavior at my job but I can only imagine an event like this magnifying the crowd to levels beyond what I have ever had to deal with.
>>
>>1001394
Your map does not imbiggen enough to really do me any good making travel plans
>>
>>1001406
Then use the goddam link I posted which is a google map. Or you can go here which has that map plus state specific maps:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps
>>
>>1001394
I will be in the Sawtooth Mountains up in Idaho, hope it's not too crowded.
>>
>>1001394
Requested and rcvd time off weeks ago!

Grand Teton N P bound!

>>1001406
>too stupid to google what will be the most photographed event in human history

>planning your future against a thumbnail

Whew...
>>
>>1001404
You sound like a hysterical faggot so you will fit right in with the thousands of shitheads from Portland
>>
>>1001585
Th-t-thanks you too

Captcha: select all images with mountains
>>
>>1001412
Nice. Gonna head west into the Gros Ventre wilderness
>>
File: noaa_meanclouddays.jpg (110KB, 1071x825px) Image search: [Google]
noaa_meanclouddays.jpg
110KB, 1071x825px
>>1001404
It's gonna suck if it's cloudy senpai
>>
File: joannis_soerensen_708x472.jpg (26KB, 708x472px) Image search: [Google]
joannis_soerensen_708x472.jpg
26KB, 708x472px
>>1001621
I know but I'm willing to take the chance, the trip is 80% just to get me out West and climbing mountains, the eclipse was just the icing. Who knows, sometimes things are better with a few clouds.
>>
At what time of day its the eclipse ?
>>
Staying on top of my mountain right here in KY just east of the GE location on that map.
>>
>>1001394
I'm hoping to go camp out somewhere in Oregon to watch it with a couple friend but I'm not sure if our school schedules will allow it. His school starts that day and my Summer Quarter will still be going.
>>
>>1001411
see you there.
>>
>>1001412
Oi I'm going to be in Grand Teton for this as well
>>
>>1001796
Cool. I will be the one wearing the hat, say hi.
>>
>>1001394
It would be amusing if WW3 started the day of/after and fulfilled the ancient legends that the eclipse was the sign of the apocalypse.
>>
>>1001819
If you're down in Jackson afterwords let's grab drinks. I will be the one with the beard.
>>
>>1002250
>>1001819
If either of you come to Cheyenne, I'll be the one with the boots
>>
NY fag here. Anyone can recommend a good place to go in South Carolina to watch the eclipse?
>>
File: TSE2017-usa.jpg (176KB, 1421x961px) Image search: [Google]
TSE2017-usa.jpg
176KB, 1421x961px
Here's another map.
>>
>>1002250
>>1002541
Nice! Bring your sisters, I'll be the one wearing the hat, sporting semi-wood!
>>
>>1002706
Is anyone going to be in capser?
I am going to pop up from denver and would also like to meet your sisters
>>
>>1002798
It would be nice to rcv a BLOWJOB during totality!
>>
>>1001394
I bet it'll be cloudy again. It's always fucking cloudy
>>
>>1002834
>boner killer
>the universe is expanding
>entropy is inexorable

You must be fun at partys!!
>>
>>1002541
I'll be passing through a few days before the eclipse. Look for the SUV with the bumper stickers.
>>
>>1002834
Watch it from Arizona, its never cloudy there!
>>
>>1002870
On the fifth day, look for me, I will be arriving by plane
>>
>>1003086
You might be too late unless you're gonna head north from there.
>>
>>1001394
Oh fuck yeah thanks for making this! My gf and I are headed from LA to Idaho for the eclipse. I've been planning for weeks already. We're airbnbing at some really nice places. I can't fucking wait. To be honest my gf is the one thats all about the eclipse. I'm more hyped for being out in big sky country and going out on Payette Lake.
>>
>>1001688
Depends what time zone, dummy. Think about it.
>>
>>1003138
think about what you are saying and how the sun moves and why the fuck we have time zones in the first place
>>
ill be out on lake Hartwell all that weekend. i bet its going to be packed.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.