[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar Power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 51Qz5Qij0qL._SY400_.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
51Qz5Qij0qL._SY400_.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
Are any of these solar chargers worth a damn?
>>
>>1001320
I bought one last week. Taking it /out/ this weekend, will post results.
>>
>>1001320
most are garbage but there are some good ones out there.

the real question is more about where the break even point to a normal power bank is.
unless you actually me a combined product like in the picture you posted they are 99% absolute garbage. basicly free merchandise multitool level of trash.

i tend to favor power banks

381g Anker PowerCore 20100mAh
+ guaranteed charge phone 6 or more times
+ works in any weather & time
+ full power output
+ small dense object
+ back to full charge in one stop
- slow loss of charge over months
- dead weight once empty

vs

354g PowerPort Solar Lite 15W
+ infinite energy
+ independent
+ produces power after long storage
- limited output
- depending on weather and time
- needs to somewhat face the sun
- somewhat bulky shape
- might not meet minimum power to charge stuff without reservoir
>>
>>1001333
>354g PowerPort Solar Lite 15W

People who buy this crap are literally killing the planet in the name of saving the planet
>>
>>1001333
That anker power core is great

I used it on my bike tour. Charged my phone and GPS for a week then I stayed at a campground where I charged it up over night. I recommend getting their special charger for it. It's a lot faster.

A lot more practical than solar.
>>
>>1001333
one more advantage you can use a portable battery in everyday life
>>
>>1001333
Why not both?
I have the 24w RAVPower and a 10000 Mah bank that it charges. I use it for my psp, gps and phone and can stay /out/ as long as I want with power.
>>
>>1001338
>people who post this crap are literally killing the thread in the name of saving the thread

Irony much?
>>
File: 20161123_150049.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_150049.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>1001417
Btw, fuck you.
>>
>>1001419
>filling the air and soil with toxins so you can waste your cash on junk products and virtue signal to fellow sheeple

So progressive
>>
>>1001582
>giving a shit about anybody but youself and convienence

How quaint, like it matters.
>>
>>1001594
>Products that don't work are convenient
>Like it matters if products work as intended
>>
If your outdoors activity involves direct sunlight for long periods of time, solar works.

If you are innawoods, stick to powerbank only.

A solarpanel needs to be directly facing the sun to be most efficient and at best, these panels are 20% efficient-ish already. If you are off by a bit, or have a shadow on parts of the panel or a bird dumps on it, you lose a LOT, especially in small setups like pictured.
>>
No, those devices use the shittiest type of panels and need hours in direct sunlight to charge their batteries. In doing so, they sheer heat from the direct sunlight cooks the batteries inside. They don't even add a heat shielding layer or air gap for the poor battery inside. It literally gassifies inside and will eventually rupture / blow up.
>>
>>1001673
>>1001752
>itt people without exposure
>>
>>1001869
Sir, kindly shill ur meme gimmicks elsewhere
>>
>>1001320
I have the exact one you posted.

The solar cell aint worth shit. If the battery is dead, and your phone is dead, and you were to leave the charger in the sunlight for 8 hours straight, you might get enough juice to make a 5 minute phone call. Don't expect to be able to charge your phone while the battery charges off the solarcell either.

I will say that as a ragular batery bank it works well. If its fully charged, I cant charge my phone like 8 times off it before it needs charging.

So basically the solar cell part is a waste of money. I've seen chargers that double as hand warmers. That seems like a much more useful feature for outdoor use.
>>
>>1001338

The planet's a big place. Enjoy your time /out/, the world won't blow up whether you pack solar panels, extra batteries, or no electronics at all. The rate of technological and economic growth is so high that by the time the negative effects become noticeable, we'll have the wealth and expertise to fix them.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.