[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping Bag Thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

Not sure if this is welcome here, but Dick's Sporting Goods has a 20% a single item promo going on and I was able to pick up the Marmot 30deg Hydrogen bag at a pretty damn good price.

If this isn't allowed, feel free to delete. Perhaps we could discuss a general bag vs quilt opinion thread?

I won't link anything so it doesn't come across as spam/shilling, but USA anons should be able to replicate this fairly easily
>>
>>1001182
Buy a military bag for $40.
Never need anything else
/thread
>>
>>1001190
Stop it
>>
>>1001190
is milgear overrated though? I understand the military will make sure their stuff works and works good but they do have a budget so its not always the best
>>
Hey, question from a sleeping bag noob: Where'd all the good synthetic bags go? Everything is down these days.
>>
>>1001356

>noob:
>Where'd all the good synthetic bags go

You are a bad liar
>>
>>1001238
As a sleep system like the us military's, it's going to keep you warm. Dry too, if you're using the bivy. The issues are that the individual pieces are relatively heavy, being made with ruggedness in mind. And the other main issues are huge bulk, and high price.

I'm a quilt guy, personally. Recently switched from a sleeping bag. I prefer quilts for the reduced weight and bulk, and better temperature regulation. I'm a hot sleeper, and I often need to vent or kick a leg out.
>>
>>1001367
Lol thanks. I am genuinely curious though. I keep hearing how awesome stuff like Polar guard was, and I'm super peeved off that I can't find stuff like it.
>>
>>1001238
The average person had a budget too
>>
I just bought a Marmot Helium 15F.

Can't wait to try it out.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Mummy-Sleeping-Bag-WATERPROOF-0-Degree/dp/B003BR50D6

For the price I'm not sure you'll find a better bag at all.

The stuff sack can get 4 or 5 inches smaller than advertised. Couldn't be happier with this bag I've used it for 6 years now in all types of conditions.
>>
Can anyone recommend a ~20* bag that has good compressability? preferably synthetic but downs fine too, I've been looking at a Cats Meow since I've seen one and know it packs small. Using a $40 thing i bought at walmart and it works well but I'm willing to shell out more money for something that packs better. Trying to have everything fit into a normal looking bag so I dont stick out like a sore thumb when hitchhiking.
>>
File: a97103_g071_2-bear-bag.jpg (24KB, 450x421px) Image search: [Google]
a97103_g071_2-bear-bag.jpg
24KB, 450x421px
>>1001238
not really overrated more that it's a fit all for most casual people, thus get good reviews for price /performance. but don't forget it is more about what it was made for and for what not.
its meant to be:
+ cheap
+ rugged
+ spacious (fit a soldier with clothes boots some gear, so they can jump out fast and be ready to fight)
+ weather protected, bivy sacks not tents

not made for:
- low weight ( troops don't hike/move every day most of the time)
- low volume
- long service life
- fancy design
- women & kids

best for

car campers
poor / budget people
Bad conditions campers
gear you lend to friends

not good for
gear fags
ultra lite fags
long distance trekking
>>
Dicks.
It not just our name, it's our attitude.
>>
Posting here for someone to push me over edge and get a quilt.

>I get cold at night, am I making a mistake by switching?
>do I need to have a fancy inflatable, or will my foam pad be ok?

General pros and cons from someone who isn't trying to sell me one way or the other would be nice.
>>
>>1001995
Best compressability would be any high dollar goose down quilt, but teton sports 20 degree mummy bag compresses down to the size of my duck down mummy bag, so fairly small.
>>
>>1002039
>Pros
Lightweight
Compressable
More variety with sleep positions (leg out, and depending on the quilt you can use it as a blanket)
you can also just stuff it into the bottom of your sack and call it a day instead of having to roll it

>Cons
Depending on the temps/what type of sleeper you are (warm/cold) you will need a better sleeping pad/gear (hat) to sleep with.
No hood
Open back, heat retention is pad/ground focused

Overall I love quilts. I also am a big fan of luxury sleeping systems, with my 30in W x 76in L inflatable sleeping pad. I say get a quilt. Best brands are Katabatic, Enlightened Equipment, or Hammock Gear. I know HG recently came out with a duck down econ-friendly version of their quilts, which run for a comfortable price. Duck down compared to goose down though, duck down doesn't compress as tight, doesn't loft as well and is just a couple oz heavier.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-TrailHead-Ultralight-Sleeping-Backpacking/dp/B007JTLKCC/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493342623&sr=1-3&keywords=sleeping+bag+ultralight

I just ordered this last night for summer time hammock camping before remembering to check /out/'s professional opinion. How fucked am I?
>>
File: 1493318840198.jpg (61KB, 493x449px) Image search: [Google]
1493318840198.jpg
61KB, 493x449px
"Sleep system"

Why do people say this?
>>
>>1003590
because it's quicker than saying/typing "sleeping bag and pad"
>>
>>1003590
It's the best all encompassing term for what you need to sleep.
Sleeping bag, top quilt, under quilt, pad, bag liner, pillow, sleep clothing (necessary for quilts), hammock, etc...
>>
File: 135580_ts.jpg (82KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
135580_ts.jpg
82KB, 1155x1155px
What is the consensus here on the US Modular Military Sleep System ?

I would defend mine with my life. It boggles the mind how OP can spend over two hundred dollars on a sleeping bag that isn't even sub zero, when for the same price you can get the MSS and survive -30 temps. It's basically a mobile house.
>>
File: BagBagBagBag.jpg (46KB, 584x410px) Image search: [Google]
BagBagBagBag.jpg
46KB, 584x410px
>>1002004
>>1001238
>>1001368
Nigger what? The current USGI modular sleep system is pretty fucking light all things considered. It gets heavy when you throw in the compression sack (pointless b/c it's not down) and the "intermediate" cold weather bag. The patrol bag and bivy are fucking light- I own three bivies and the USGI one is the lightest. Patrol bag is my light bag if I don't wanna take down.

The one thing that is excessive is the zipper. They've got HUGE teeth and are waaaay to robust. I read somewhere that they're designed to be torn open and still function (like a surprise night attack, you tear out the bag but don't worry the next night about the zipper.) You could cut the zipper out of the bivy b.c it still has buttons. You could also go quilt style with the patrol bag or even sew in a lighter zipper if ya wanned. I don't care that much about weight so I left them in.
>>
>>1003590
If you're smart you don't just think about your sleeping bag and/or pad. If it's going to be 35 degrees, why bring your 0 degree bag if you can bring your 40 degree, and some appropriate clothing?
>>
>>1002039
I bought an Ali Express quilt and it's been fine. If you're iffy on a quilt try one of these or a wool blanket to see if the style is something you're into.
>>
>>1003606
Haha, I just posted this>>1003643
That shit has it's limitations. The bivy isn't super comfy. Ventilation is poor and there's no bug net. The beauty of the bivy is that it's simple as fuck. If simplicity is what you're after, this is one of the most basic ones you'll find.

As for the temp rating on those bags "survive" is the right word to use. I took this system down to 0 degrees and was freezing my balls off. If you weren't hip to it already, one thing you should know is that ratings are not equal. At best they give the bag to a handful of outdoorsmen/women and see what they think of it. You're supposed to have midlevel thermals and a beanie on for the rating to be accurate. Something tells me the US army dgaf and winged it- said the shit could take you down to x without dying because, hey, it's the Army.
>>
>>1001238
>>1003606
Military shit is always a tradeoff between durability and weight. Compared to civilian gear, it usually has much better durability, but is heavier. I'm not a long-distance backpacker or anything so I tend to prefer it--I recommend military surplus to anyone who doesn't hike crazy long distances and can deal with the extra weight.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.