[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ tell me how to properly fell a tree please. Thanks.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

Hey /out/ tell me how to properly fell a tree please. Thanks.
>>
>>1001091
We could have good threads on /out/ if people used google more often
>>
>>1001091
>Look to see the way the tree is would fall if cut. About 5 inches above where you're most comfortable chopping take out a small wedge on the side opposite the direction the tree would fall.. Then tie rope as high as you can on the tree. Then cut on the opposite side of your original cut until you can feel the tree getting ready to fall. Finally you take the rope far away and then tug and give on the rope at the resonance frequency until it falls. That's how I'd do it when I was a kid. I'd use the timbers to dam up streams and make gardens. Felling a tree with an axe is such an intense experience. It's similar with a chainsaw although I'd be more careful not to get it stuck in the tree when it starts to fall.
>>
>>1001094
If that was the case this board could cease to exit.

>>1001097
Nice story, brah.
>>
>>1001091
Also get the fug outta the way when it falls. Trees like to do the Widowmaker thing where they kick back, jump up, spin on the stump and various other things that will kill or maim you. Thats why I used a rope. What are you using the trees for if I may ask.
>>
>>1001091
>properly

You're either not American or have been watching too much Wranglerstar.
>>
>>1001108
Thanks

>>1001136
>cuntstar
I unsubscribed like an year or so ago. Couldn't handle his rightness and sense of superiority all the time.
He posted lots of content which was nice but you need to know when to cut the losses.
>>
>>1001091
>>1001091
>Hey /out/ tell me how to properly fell a tree please. Thanks.
The right way is across a douchebag trespassing motorists trail like this >>1001029
>>
>>1000000
>>
Hire a profesional
>>
>>1001091
Go. On. A. Course. This is if you don't have an experienced friend/family member to teach you. If you don't get properly taught IRL you will fuck something up.
>>
>>1001091
I'll second the course idea. Felling trees can be tricksie business at the best of times and if you don't know what you're doing then it can go real bad real fast. Have someone around too, if only to call for help, as the worst case scenario isn't being killed outright by a falling tree; it's being severely injured and trapped under it.

Take a course on using a chainsaw too. Those things are as dangerous as guns IMO.

Otherwise small cut opposite the side you want it to fall, then cut into the side you want to drop, use ropes to help the tree go where you want, get ready to dive out of the way when the tree decides it's going where ever the hell it wants regardless of physics, ropes, or basic decency.
>>
>>1001091
Higher someone.
>>
>>1001091
Google it.
>>
>>1001097
If you need a rope to make the tree fall you're making it wrong.
But nice effort at describing.
>>
Make sure your wedge only goes a third into the tree horizontally. Make sure the bottom of your wedge is straight horizontal. Make sure your back cut is straight horizontal too.
When you make your back cut, do not cut all the way through. You want a couple inches still connected, this is what bends and makes your tree fall slowly and in a controlled direction.
Ideally, your back cut is a couple inches below the bottom of your wedge
>>
>>1001471
>Higher
You have to go back.
>>
File: g01958art02.jpg (20KB, 360x144px) Image search: [Google]
g01958art02.jpg
20KB, 360x144px
>>1001506
>Make sure the bottom of your wedge is straight horizontal
Doesn't have to be.
>>
>>1001498
>If you need a rope...making it wrong
I get where you are coming from but we often use pull lines at work because why the hell not. If there is anything of value around then use everything at your disposal to make sure the tree won't go the wrong way. Rope. Wedges. Felling bar. Pull it over with a track chipper/truck/groundies.
>>
>>1001545
All valid cuts, but unless you know why you are changing the gob cut then you probably shouldn't over complicate things.
>>
>>1001091
>walk up to tree examining all of your surroundings
>decide where you want to put the tree
>make your first cut, this one will just be horizontal and go roughly 2/5 the width of the tree
>make 45 degree angle cut on top and meeting where the other cut stopped, make it precise
>look at tree often because safety first
>depending on the height of the tree(inch for every 10 feet) make a horizontal back cut above your first horizontal cut and stop so that theres 2-3 inches of wood in the center that hasnt been cut, called your hingewood
>place some wedges in the back cut and hammer them in
>keep looking around you, safety first!
>add wedges until TIMBEEEERRR and you gtfo the area

loggers will use a different but less safe cut in order to get more wood
>>
>>1001550
Things to keep in mind

Is your saw sharp

Is you saw at least over half of the width of the tree

Have 2 different escape routes planned for when she falls or when something goes wrong

Always look everywhere

Dont fall trees alone

Wear your proper PPE gear dammit
>>
File: FH12OCT_FELING_09.jpg (164KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
FH12OCT_FELING_09.jpg
164KB, 1000x1000px
>>1001555
Visual depiction on how to aim a saw this will help you determine where the tree falls

Hes using these markings on the saw itself, not just staring that direction

Be aware of things like branches and wind that may change the fall path

>start with a small tree first, 8-12 inches wide and keep practicing from there

Thats a rough explaination, good luck
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
falling is all about leaving an accurate hinge. the hinge is the strip of wood that is left uncut in the middle of the tree and it gives the direction of the fall and prevents the tree from falling sideways or from rotating

first you make a notch (undercut) in the direction of the fall with one horizontal cut and one at an angle, from above or from below.
it is important that these two cuts meet precisely so the tree can freely swing at the hinge, to achieve this there are no particular tricks and you just need to have good control of the chainsaw and make accurate cuts. if the two cuts do not meet well the tree can take a wrong turn
when i started falling big trees i would draw two lines with the tip of the chainsaw to avoid error, that's a good thing to do if you are unsure and many professionals do it too. if they still do not meet well after you've made them take your time and adjust, your undercut must be perfect

when the undercut is done you start cutting the back of the tree. here too you need to have good control of the saw, you need to know at all times where the tip of your bar is. you must leave the hinge intact and you must know when to stop. you must not stop too early or you risk barber chairing the tree, but you must not leave a hinge that is too thin
the hinge does not have to be straight across, if the tree has a side lean you should leave the hinge thicker where the pull is stronger

everything i have said is enough to fall a tree that is straight and in the middle of a flat grass field. when you are falling leaning trees and you are in thick woods there is a ton of things that you must consider and always be prepared for things to go wrong. also keep in mind that different species of wood behave in a different way
keep an eye on the top of the tree before, during and after falling. be aware of everything that is going on particularly of dead branches falling on your head, and get away from the tree as soon as possible when it is falling
>>
>>1001564
Well you loosely described the Sweedish felling method, but you left out the plunge cut, strap, and wedges part.
>>
>>1001564
Very good description on how to make correct cuts.

For those that don't know why he was saying leaning trees are more complex it's because you're going to get tension on your saw if you cut in the wrong spot. Also a tree is much more likely to become a spring or a projectile in this position so you need to make cuts that relieve the tension without transfering it to your bar.
>>
>>1001166
That's your own insecurity not wranglerdongs moral sense if superiority.
>>
>>1001704
>Very good description on how to make correct cuts.
No, it really isn't.
>>
File: scarygoround.png (26KB, 735x500px) Image search: [Google]
scarygoround.png
26KB, 735x500px
>>1001281
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm06672805/page01.htm

I train people with the USFS for felling trees. The USFS isn't anywhere close to the best at cutting trees but we're pretty safe doing it. There are three USFS approved courses, the MTDC course, S-212 Wildland Powersaws and The Game Of Logging. All of those will include the basics. Most of the techniques come from the Douglas Dent book Professional Timber Falling. Check it out.
>>
>>1001091
cut it 1/3rd of the way in the direction you want it to fall, stop cutting before the tree pinches your chainsaw

then cut the back of the tree slightly above the first cut.

it also helps to have a second person hold a rope that is secured up high in the tree to guide it to the ground.
>>
File: 1390700169091.jpg (96KB, 475x341px) Image search: [Google]
1390700169091.jpg
96KB, 475x341px
>>1001817
>it also helps to have a second person hold a rope that is secured up high in the tree to guide it to the ground.
If the tree is large enough to justify a chainsaw a rope won't do shit to affect the lay. A winch or come-along can control it to some extent.
>>
>>1001675
Plunge cuts are a technique I would never advise for a beginner when felling. Not that it isn't a good technique but for a novice sawyer it's dangerous.
>>
>>1001823
The problem is that if there was an error in the cut depth and angle, regardless of the calculation, the tree could barber chair with a straight cut through the back. Hopefully someone like you would be there to stop him in time the first time though.
>>
>>1001832
You are correct, which is why I wouldn't ask a novice cutter to cut a heavy leaning tree or a species that tends to barber chair. The number of "tree cutting fail" videos on youtube is pretty terrifying.
>>
>>1001750
I mean, I guess because I know what hes talking about I connect the dots easier. Yeah, people that want to know this stuff should be taught in person.
>>
>>1001675
well it's really the only way to fall a tree if you don't want to make your life harder than it already is
the other way is to just cut straight through it and hope it fall where you want

there is another method i have seen used by some people which i think is terrifyingly wrong
make a notch and then cut all the way around the tree. instead of leaving a linear hinge you leave some round uncut wood in the middle and hope it doesn't barberchair

i went with an old guy and a friend to see some poplars to make boards out of (for the friend) and he started falling this 70cm poplar with very hard lean near a stream using this method, except he didn't even use a notch, he cut first at the front of the tree and then went all the way around it. he didn't barberchair the tree but the trunk split in half and then fell which seriously reduced the amount of boards you can get out of it. he blamed the chainsaw that was "too slow to cut enough wood in time"
i was like wtf this guy is supposed to be a logger

also many people here use the way i described (what you call swedish) but in a bit deranged way. the notch rarely is all the width of the tree, instead it's just a triangle where the pull of the tree is stronger, and they don't even care to make an accurate undercut, you see often a 5cm dutchman or up to 10cm on the big ones. their reasoning is "whatever we're in the woods so let it fall wherever it wants, the winch will pull it out"
i'm in serbia btw
>>
PS
>>1001822
unless the tree has already started falling the wrong way a rope can give it the little push it needs
it's like using wedges which are ignored by many people

>>1001675
what do you mean with strap? you mean tying a tree around the trunk so it doesn't split?
wedges are nice but i see people overusing them when falling any tree. i normally put a wooden one just to prevent the tree from sitting on my saw or sometimes when i'm bucking. plastic wedges are expensive and i tend to fall without their aid
plunge cut is nice, i use it on beech or poplar which has a tendency to split easily. i take out the heart of the tree and leave the hinge on the sides, it is still a strong hinge if the tree has some lateral force pushing on it but at the sime time it breaks easy when it needs to. but if you don't have much freedom with the chainsaw there is a serious risk of kickback there
>>
>>1002230
Yeah dude, all you have to do is ask. The strap is the back part of the tree you cut after the wedges are set.

>>1002218
I see I'm too late now, but let me start by saying I took forestry in college. The method you describe above for FELLING a tree could be interpreted as making an open face cut at the front of the tree. Not only is it dangerous, but it is illegal in the state I got my degree. OP didn't tell us how big the tree was, or if it's near a building. Trees typically ready for felling are realitively large. Maybe you are describing how to drop a small one. Any large tree within the horizontal distance that the tree is tall from a building, should be taken down by a pro with insurance.

With all of the preparation and calculations, it's hard to mess up the real Sweedish felling method. I hit my mark in the woods the first time at school.
>>
File: IMG_4275.jpg (3MB, 2448x3058px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4275.jpg
3MB, 2448x3058px
>>1002230
Strap being the backstrap or "trigger". The last portion you cut with the tip of the bar. Basically you make a face cut, bore in from the side to remove almost all of the wood from the backcut and then finally cut the strap and let the tree fall.

Only applicable to trees that are definitely going to fall in a particular direction without any wedging.

Pic related, a heavy leaning tree I cut. The strap can be seen just right of the axe head. The final bit of wood ripped from the weight of the tree,
>>
>>1002367
You really sound like a cunt.
>>
>>1002525
Of course.
>>
for those who don't have much chainsaw experience I recommend doing a conservation corps that has saw crews. I got free training and in three months went from being a novice to an alright sawyer
>>
File: felling_a_tree.jpg (92KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
felling_a_tree.jpg
92KB, 1000x1000px
Is this infographic legit?
>>
>>1001091
1. don't fell it on your head
That is all.
>>
File: 1446290012846.webm (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1446290012846.webm
1MB, 320x240px
>>1001091
like this OP
>>
>>1002659
Generally no. One-fifth is too small most of the time and a birdsmouth face cut is rarely appropriate. Go to a course.
>>
>>1002690
Thats some balls. I would have sacrificed the shed and not take any chances that would damage the house.
>>
>>1002700
Thanks. Into the trash it goes.
>>
File: Photo0085.jpg (177KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0085.jpg
177KB, 640x480px
>>1002512
yeah i do that all the time with heavy leaners
>>
>>1001091
Take a class or yer gonna die
>>
>>1002702
It's a good cut but it's not some kind of one in a million falling operation. A straight tree and solid wood can be placed very accurately like that. Just a solid set of cuts. He did smoke the shit out of his deck!
>>
>>1001813
Finished my S-212 course last Monday and fell my first Tree Wednesday!
>>
Tipping trees isn't a zero sum game, you can do everything right with the information you had at the time and it still go horribly wrong.

Without any training your initial plan to tackle a tree will could very well be wrong so you're doomed from the start.

Get some training first
>>
>>1001091
btw the way that guy is holding the saw is not the safest. i cut my pants once doing that with the saw idling and scratched my leg a little
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.