[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping Foods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

I'm planing on doing a two night camping trip and I was wondering what kind of foods I should take along. Something calorie dense but still light. What should I bring? I have a campstove like pic so heating won't be an issue.
>>
>>1000822
Are you using a cooler?
That makes a huge difference with what you can take
>>
>>1000838
No, we have to hike out to the spot and it's to far to take a cooler.
>>
>>1000841
Whenever i have to pack in i take at least 2 cans of soup, stew, chili, etc. I know they aren't light. But can be awesome for a hearty dinner and dont take up much space.
Trail mix. Mixed nuts. Small package of tuna in a bag.
Energy bars.
M&Ms for my sugar fix.
Rice rice and rice.
Tortilla shells
Seasoning.

Idk man. Lots of things that dont need a cooler. Just pack smart
>>
>>1000842
Thanks I as thinking about the soup myself.
>>
>>1000822
>two night camping trip

6 meals for 1 person?

Flour
Eggs
Rice
Beans
Potatoes
Onions
Water
Butter
Seasonings & Salt
Jerky/Pepperoni/Salami
Sugar
Baking Powder

That's enough to make a ton of different things. I don't really get this thread though. Just eat what you normally eat at home. If you need something stay cold you can put it into a thermos with ice water.
>>
File: 1489689380899.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489689380899.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>1000868
lost
>>
8 cans of fishcock.
>>
Two cans of tuna, a loaf of bread and a pound of cherry tomatoes and you can leave your stove at home.
>>
Think in simple twenty four hour terms. When you are hiking your appetite is never the same as when you are sitting at home on your couch browsing /out. Meals only need to be the volume that your cupped hands could contain. Choosing the right foods for the time of day helps. Breakfast can be something as simple as a small can of beans or spaghetti and a cup of tea or coffee/ chocolate. Lunch is good when it is savoury crackers, tinned cheese and a cuppa again. Dinner needs to be high protein to give you a full feeling and satisfy your appetite, something like canned chicken casserole. Morning and afternoon tea can be trail mix, M&Ms, sweet biscuits, dried fruit. If you can get pouched food instead of canned food you might make some weight savings but risk puncturing your main meals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Ration_One_Man
>>
File: 1493078119658.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1493078119658.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>1000910

>samefag
http://www.mreinfo.com/international-rations/australian-rations/australian-cr1m/
This gives you a full menu, very useful in planning. It's the little things that make a difference like chewing gum and a bit of poo-ticket that make life in the gr8 /outdoors so much more enjoyable
>>
File: CR1M-1997-1998-Menu.jpg (162KB, 1036x731px) Image search: [Google]
CR1M-1997-1998-Menu.jpg
162KB, 1036x731px
>>1000923
samefaggging again
>>
>>1000822
2 days? Just pack a bunch of sandwiches without the mustard, then add mustard when you eat them.
>>
>>1000944
Also peanut butter and tortillas. Or Alton browns protein bars.
>>
>>1000822
Not even lightly smoked meat/fish, eggs or milk will spoil within 2 days in your backpack. Bring what ever the fuck you wanna eat
>>
This is the most relevant thread I can find. What kind of stoves/pots do you guys use for cooking while out?

I'm currently trying to see if I can find a good lightweight skillet for cooking while out.
>>
>>1000822
Porridge oats my friend, light weight, tastey, only need water and a pintch of sugar or salt and warming on a cold morning.

The fuel of Scots armies for hundreds of yeras.
>>
>>1001441
>The fuel of Scots armies for hundreds of yeras.
how did that work out for you?
>>
>>1001451
They could march 30 miles a day across country and did alright as well until gunpower weapons came along.
>>
>>1000822
If you'r goal is to be calorie dense but still nutritious, trail mix is the best choice if the cost isn't an issue. Most variants should be 500+ calories per 100g, and nuts(and dried fruit!) are pretty rich in micronutrients while still packing a decent calorie payload. The only way to get more calories per gram is to resort to more refined or purer forms of oils, but this is a terrible idea as your primary energy source for many reasons unless you know what you are doing.

Assuming you would need 3500 calories per day, 1.5kg of trail mix can cover your entire trip with some leftover. However, I'm sure you wouldn't want to eat just trail mix exclusively, so you might want to take less trail mix and swap it for other foods. Assuming three meals a day, then 200-250g of trail mix equates to one meal, so you can use that as a yard stick for swapping out meals.

Since trail mix doesn't require any cooking, if you want other suggestions for high calorie meals you can cook, starchy seeds like lentils and grains are also extremely weight efficient, clocking in 350+ calories per 100g, while being fairly quick and easy to cook yet still rich in micronutrients. I wouldn't recommend bringing dry beans or chickpeas as they can be more demanding to prepare while not offering much to compensate.

Other than that, it would mostly depend on your tastes, in your situation I would plan my meals around a basis of high energy foods like mentioned above, which would mostly depend on how much extra weight you willing to carry for a wider variety of less energy dense foods.
>>
>>1001322
Buy a Swedish triangakök/stormkök
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.