[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im a pussy and really scared of meeting up with a bear while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: bear1.jpg (142KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bear1.jpg
142KB, 1600x1200px
im a pussy and really scared of meeting up with a bear while hiking in the Rockies in canada.

i met two black bears walking down the trail at waterton park. got lucky the fuckers did not see me and my family.

so i can not carry a fire arm with me while hiking in Canada i am wondering how effective bear spray is? i have to fog type that stays in the air like well fog.

anyone have any close encounters with bears when bear spray saved them?
>>
>>1000390

Canadafag here. You can bring guns.
>>
File: 20150907_105640.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150907_105640.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
You can scare away a friggen black bear with a stick. Hell, I once told a black bear to fuck off and he did just that. They're more interested in tasty berries than humans anyway. The problem with bear spray is that it can mess you up just as bad as it can mess up the bear, especially if you're using the "Fog type". If you're spraying into the damn wind it's gonna act like seasoning for the bear. How about this, stay out of the bears business and it will stay out of yours. My biggest suggestion is to seal up all your food and keep your cooking quick and simple if you're in a high bear populated area. Bear spray/guns is your last option in all occasions, so be bear aware and avoid meeting one altogether and you will be far better off. Maybe put on one of those bear bells and walk through the forest cursing and singing acdc songs all day long.
>>
>>1000390
>>1000408
I would recommend either a revolver chambered in .44 Remington Magnum or bigger, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or 00 buck, or a rifle chambered in .30-06 or bigger.
>>
>>1000390
Just bring a gun, you can get a handgun in canada for this exact purpose, so go get your lisence and pick up something like a .44 magnum. If a bear charges you, you can kill it, if its acting strange and yelling, makinh noise etc wont make it go away, firing a shot into the air will semd it running (likely). Bear spray wont stop a determined bear, and it is really risky that it could back fire and get in your eyes/piss the bear off even more.
>>
>>1000503

You don't know what you're talking about.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1000390
>so i can not carry a fire arm with me while hiking in Canada i am wondering how effective bear spray is
studies looking at effectiveness have found that spray is more effective than firearms. if you're a confident shooter, then a gun is a good option. but spray is easier and allows for a far bigger margin of error.
>>
>>1000539
i don't see why not both??
guy brings gun and buys a bear spray to each of his family. if spray doesn't work for some miraculous reason you can slug it.
>>
>>1000417
>You can scare away a friggen black bear with a stick. Hell, I once told a black bear to fuck off and he did just that.
yup black bears are the biggest pussies even house cats can terrorize the shit out of them.
>>
>>1000390
>black bears
Pic is grizzly

>black bears
>lucky the fuckers did not see me
They did, they just went about their business

>anyone have any close encounters with bears
All the time
>when bear spray saved them?
If you smile and wave at a black bear you'll send it running. You're just a pussy who's afraid of something he knows nothing about.
>>
>>1000503
Studies show a firearm won't stop a determined bear.

That same study showed near spray will.

Guns have the same effectiveness as waving your arms and doing nothing.

Look it up. No, I won't Google it for you.
>>
>>1000477
you can't bring handguns into the bush in canada
>>
Grizzlies won't attack you out of nowhere either. I've encountered plenty of them in the wilderness.

The standard advice is to make sure you don't surprise them, don't leave your food unattended and don't get between a mama bear and her cub.
>>
Peoples obsession and fear of bears is cause they have scary teeth and claws but I'm honestly more scared of moose than I am of bears. You're way more likely to see a moose up north too. Wolves are a real threat also. Statistically you're 1000x more likely to get shot by niggers (well maybe not in Canada kek) or crash your car on the way to the trailhead, so don't put too much thought or worry into being attacked by bears, especially pussy ass black bears. Just hang your food up at night and minimize your odor, which is good advice for keeping more than just bears away.
>>
>>1001088
Studies paid for by bear spray companies no doubt.

>>1001116
>>1001127
It's amazing how much more fun being in the wilderness is when you're not afraid of every little animal, isn't it?

Everyone else: OMG, what was that spoopy noise?
Us: Irrational fear.
>>
>>1000503
A shot to anywhere but the head won't have any effect on a determined bear either. Even if you blended the heart with a direct shot of 1oz lead, it would still take anywhere from 40-60 seconds for the impacted blood flow to even have an effect on the brain. Their metabolism is THAT slow. Mace has more likely effect of deterring an attack than a revolver chambered in .500autism would.
>>
>>1001143
>A shot to anywhere but the head won't have any effect on a determined bear either.
Are you an idiot? Anything smalling than a 50cal is just going to glance off the skull.
>Even if you blended the heart with a direct shot of 1oz lead, it would still take anywhere from 40-60 seconds for the impacted blood flow to even have an effect on the brain.
Blended? Yeah, pretty sure you're an idiot.
>>1001143
>Their metabolism is THAT slow.
You mean circulatory rate, don't you? I'm just about convinced now.
>Mace has...
Confirmed.
>>
>>1001095
Well, only one of the weapons I listed is a handgun. Which you shouldn't use for bear protection anyway.
>>
File: 1483694452446.jpg (18KB, 237x229px) Image search: [Google]
1483694452446.jpg
18KB, 237x229px
>>1001147
>50cal

reading comprehension nigger

obligatory kys my young friend.
>>
>>1001151
>50 cal
>reading comprehension
Which have what to do with each other?
>>
File: 1475535386613s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1475535386613s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>1001153
completely pic related
>>
>>1001147
>anything smalling than a 50cal is just going to glance off the skull
top fucking kek, do you even ballistics, bitch?
>blended
As in, ravaged. Destroyed.
>mace
Mace works, yeah. You're daft if you think otherwise. It has a more immediate effect than a firearm ever could against a bear. It should, however, not be carried alone.
>>
>>1001154
You really should make your insults more situationally appropriate. Otherwise, you just look like a jackass.

Ya'll should just stay home if you're this afraid of bears. Seriously. The wilderness is no place for cowards.
>>
>>1001156
>wilderness is no place for cowards
Yeah, you're such a man.
>>
>>1001158
Well I'm not shaking in my boots because some animal that's just going about it's business walked past me.
>>
>>1000700
this!
>>1001139
>Studies paid for by bear spray companies no doubt.
it might have something to do with the fact the wildlife services would like grizzlies very much to stay non-extinct, but i don't think they would endanger the lives of people if the spray was less effective than claimed.

still, the best is obviously carry both: >>1000634 as you will never hike alone anyhow, one or more can be armed with spray and one can be armed with a gun.
>>
>>1001143
>Even if you blended the heart with a direct shot of 1oz lead, it would still take anywhere from 40-60 seconds for the impacted blood flow to even have an effect on the brain.
have you ever been hit to the heart? i used to box it was a well known fact that hurting the heart instantly paralyzes you up to 2 seconds and that is just a punch with lasting effect.
>>
>>1001198
it's a neural thing btw has nothing to do with blood flow, hot that hydrostatic shock doesn't travel with the speed of sound.
>>
>>1000390
listen to the anons telling you not to worry
bears mostly aren't even carnivores, except for carrion and fish; they won't give a shit about you unless you harass them, and even then they're most likely to run away
>>
>>1001127
Yeah, having hiked/camped/fished in the Alberta Rockies for years I've seen a few bears and never had an issue. Cougars and moose scare me way fucking more. But again it's about not being stupid.

Make noise as you hike so you don't spook a bear, strap a bearbell on your bag or carry a good whistle (fox 40 whistles are good and dirt cheap at any outdoor store) bring spray if you're worried. Don't cook wear you sleep and stay alert.
>>
Stop fucking spreading the meme that black bears pose no threat. Attacks and deaths have statistically been on the rise in Canada over the last decade. But but they run away by me just talking to it, yeah tell that to the couple mauled to death in Algonquin park
>>
>>1001234
there are times of the year when you best avoid them. google hyperphagia...
>>
>>1001244
>moose
those fuckers scare me more than any predator.
if you are not stupid predators won't see you as food. moose are just assholes that randomly want to trample you for no reason.
>>
>>1001248
More like, they see everything that's not another moose as a predator. They're very American in that sense.
>>
File: Frank-Devereaux-bear-fight-3.jpg (43KB, 600x281px) Image search: [Google]
Frank-Devereaux-bear-fight-3.jpg
43KB, 600x281px
>>1001246
just don't be a pussy, at least make sure the bear gets it too
>>
File: 1296923541107.png (10KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1296923541107.png
10KB, 429x410px
>>1001251
God damn.
>>
>>1001249
Moose can definitely be fuckers, but desu when in northern Canada wolves worry me the most. A single bear or moose can usually be handled but a pack of wolves would be a wholenother kettle of fish
>>
>>1001262
Oh yeah. A single wolf is not a problem, they'll usually just fuck off. Being attacked by a lone wolf is an extremely rare occurrence, but well, a pack, lol. Better keep that 10mm Auto and mace at the handy.
>>
>>1001265
>Be native woman /out/
>Get stalked by lone wolf
>Use your dog as sheild
>get bear to kill the wolf for you
>Chug beer

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3636604
>>
>>1001251
>They fought like real men
>>
File: 1492913124986.jpg (83KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
1492913124986.jpg
83KB, 694x530px
>>1001278
Jesus christ, what the fuck.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.