[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overheating breaks down oil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1497324793749.jpg (83KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497324793749.jpg
83KB, 640x480px
I recently had an overheating scare when the previous owner didn't bleed the coolant properly, the needle moved to the red zone while idling, I turned off the car and limped home with the heater on full blast.

Did my compression test and it was 200 across the board so the engine was okay, and bled my coolant.

What I didn't do until last night was change my oil for a good 500km after the overheating incident.

The engine felt sluggish and sounded little rough, the oil was black when I changed it. After I changed it, the engine sounded smooth and felt very Good, smooth.

I was wondering if the extreme heat rendered my oil useless enough to damage my engine? Severely reduce engine life?
>>
>>17892493
heat and friction are what break down oil
so naturally extreme heat can break down oil even faster, as its only designed to operate in a certain temperature range
>>
>>17892537

Shit, so how badly did I fuck up the engine?

Was I riding with the equivalent of water in my engine?
>>
>>17892554
Probably not as bad as you think. Engines can take a lot more abuse than you think.
The most common issue with overheating is warping the head which causes the headgasket to lose its seal. If that happens you're fucked. Otherwise you'll be fine. Id to an engine flush just to be safe, but if you can see white smoke or fluid leaking from the head, i wouldnt worry to much about it.
With all of that said, you definitely reduced the life of your engine but its impossible to tell how much.
Sending a sample of the oil that was overheated to a lab for analysis would be the only way to get a clue.
>>
>>17892576
>but if you can see white smoke or fluid leaking from the head, i wouldnt worry to much about it.
*cant
>>
>>17892493
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.