[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

V4 vs I4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_9928.jpg (160KB, 1744x1158px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9928.jpg
160KB, 1744x1158px
Why would a manurfacturer choose an I4 over a V4? Car makes who use V6s for packaging but then use I4s when V4s have superior packaging? Also unlike a V6 a V4 is a balanced engine design.
>>
>>17891506

I4 is cheaper to manufacture
>>
v4 has two heads
>>
V4 is worse, the advantage is smaller packaging in exchange of being more complicated and lower performance

just like V6 is worse than i6 but because of packaging V is used now.
>>
>>17891506
the same benefits are shared with a boxer
>>
File: ferdashit.gif (644KB, 400x1168px) Image search: [Google]
ferdashit.gif
644KB, 400x1168px
>>17891506
>Ford
>Low

>Chevy
>High

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
>>
>>17891506
The increase in space provided by the V4 is not enough to justify its lesser amount of power. Inline engines are also cheaper to manufacture and easier to service. The opposite is true of sixes and eights - the increased power of the I6 and I8 engines is not enough to justify the significant increase in space that those engines need.
>>
>>17891506
The packaging of a I4 is better for FWD vehicles since it is less whide and being a bit longer does not make much of a difference there.

Additionaly it has only 1 cylinderhead with 1 valvetrain, wich is cheaper to manufacture than 2 smaller heads and 2 valvetrains.
The block of a I4 is also much more simple to die cast, since it can be done with a 2 piece mold instead of a 3 piece for a V-engine.

The only companies known for 4 cylinder 2 cylinder bank engines are Porsche and Subaru with their flat fours, wich are not exactly cheap.

If you want awesome packaging, I suggest using a single cylinder engine, they need the least space for a given displacement of all configurations and are mechanicly less complex.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.