[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like /o/'s opinion of something,please.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

for or against outlawing self-driving 16 wheelers? and why or why not?

Congress has been discussing that this week in committee , so i wanted to hear /o/'s opinion.
>>
Yes let's outlaw self-driving trucks because a caffeine-jittery, overworked human being is definitely the best thing to put behind the wheel of a vehicle that weighs more than a house.
>>
It's a shitty industry that forces drivers to work long, illegal hours to achieve the expected times from shippers.

As the technology is developed, computers can do it better.
>>
>>17885631
Because self driving cars haven't had any crashes or killed anyone right? It's such a great idea to put a computer that gets confused in fog or can't tell the difference between a tumbleweed and a concrete block in charge of 44 ton vehicles.
>>
>>17885647
Majority of places now enforce you to stay under a certain mileage/hours now though and going over it could get you fired
>>
>>17885631
>>17885647
See, this is what I hate about the uneducated populace making decisions that don't effect them. Truck drivers are so over-regulated at this point that it's impossible to be "over-worked". You're capped at 11 hours of driving a day and 70 hours every 8 days. A tiny, tiny fraction of truckers still use paper logs, which are now almost illegal anyway, so it's impossible to run illegal hours anymore.

Here's a fun fact: In the modern day, no trucker voluntarily puts himself in danger. In a world where having a single at-fault accident can ruin your career forever, no one is going to intentionally put themselves in that position if it can be avoided. The problem arises when you're drowning in government regulations that make it impossible to prevent accidents. If you were tasked with the job of driving your car across the country, and you felt sleepy, you would probably pull over and take a nap, right? Well, thanks to hours of services, truckers don't have this luxury. It creates this forced schedule where you HAVE to drive as much as possible because if you stop at all, you're fucked. You are forced to drive for 11 hours and sleep for 10, if you take a nap, it wastes your day. You probably can't even understand the logistics of it because I don't really have the space to explain it. But hours of service is something that plagues every single driver's existence. If you want to listen to a rant, just go to a truck stop and ask anyone with a beard how HoS runs their life. It's the 1 illegal immigrant running double logs that fucks up and the media blows it out of proportion and makes the other 3 million good drivers look bad.

tl;dr - Tired drivers don't cause wrecks; stressed drivers cause wrecks. A tired driver can just pull over and sleep and he won't be tired anymore IF you give him the freedom to do so. A stressed driver only gets more stressed the more you try to enforce restrictions on him.
>>
automated semis are the start.

eventually they'll use this as a way to get people to give up the privilege to drive their own cars.
>>
>>17885582
against
you cannot stop progress
self driving, AI, all of it is coming. Delaying the inevitable only hurts us.
>>
>>17885751
What do we do when the human race is automated? There's a tiny number of jobs that can't be fully, or nearly fully automated. Even human reproduction is an automatable process.
>>
>>17885876
Universal basic income or wall-e type of shit. That or insane dystopia.
>>
>>17885582
For it at the moment,lets wait for driver-less cars to improve before taking the step of 40+ton trucks that are driver-less . maybe put a 5 year sunset provision on the ban?
>>
>>17885880
i'm hoping for wall-e but with the garbage launched into space rather than humanity
>>
>>17885582
>16 wheelers
Big Super Single shill pls go
>>
>>17888634
kek
I run super singles but only 10
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.