[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CVT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1465880424686.jpg (485KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465880424686.jpg
485KB, 1080x1080px
Ok /o/, redpill me on CVTs (continuous variable transmissions). Are they a meme or are they better than a traditional transmission with set gear ratios?
Pic unrelated
>>
>>17882673
It's a joke and so are you
>>
Cool in theory
Good on paper
Bad in practice
Drive like garbage
>>
File: miAqE.png (9KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
miAqE.png
9KB, 400x300px
They're great for snowmobiles, ATVs and whatnot where you have vehicles with very good power-to-weight ratios and the ratio range is usually quite low anyways

For cars... I don't like them. They feel very detached from the car itself, noisy as it rests at about the redline whenever you need to accelerate, shifting between driving and reverse is really slow, and properly engine braking is pretty much impossible outside of very specific descents and speeds
>>
Good for its purpose, cheap econobox transmission meant for point A to point B in a safe manner travel.

Anyone that says its shit are fags that try and race 'em, or at least always put the pedal to the floor

I've heard they aren't reliable, but in the few cars that I've driven with cvt, its p reliable..
>>
>>17883224
Honda CVTs are actually decent
>>
Op here, I'm looking at a Subaru outback that has the boxer 4 and a CVT. I'd use it mostly for city and for a good out of off road driving. I know the boxer is a meme, will the CVT be compounding it's meme status or better the car? Thanks
>>
>>17883483
I have experience with the XV Crosstrek, 4 cylinder petrol and CVT... read >>17883252 for my general opinion of it

I'd pick a manual over that CVT any day of the week
>>
>>17883252
For snowmobile iles, it's mostly because shifting gears would throw you over the handlebars. But only possible because of the ridiculous power to weight
>>
It seems to me a cvt would work well in things that dont get a lot of traction.
Would a cvt benefit something like a boat or a plane maybe?
>>
>>17882673
They're okay for being cheap and fuel economy, but theyre not much fun.

The fact that people get nervous hearing about them is more of a statement of a big problem with car options today: anything you don't want becoming increasingly popular means something you do want is going to become less and less accessible to you, because manufacturers can't afford to make small numbers of a zillion different things, and because governments like to outlaw anything that isn't trendy enough. Its why auto vs manual vs cvt and electric vs ice discussions get so heated-adopting one for yourself means pusing everyone else a little bit more to abandoning the other.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.