[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Maintenance Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 013.jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
013.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
So I bought this 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis, and upon getting it inspected I was told of some potential problems, so here is a list:

Transmission Fluid a little brown
Brake Fluid dirty
Upper ball joint boot needs replacement
Air Filter
And recommended fuel system cleaning

The main things that I am concerned about are the upper ball joint boot, and the transmission fluid. The transmission seemingly shifts fine, but I am just guessing the fluid has turned a little brown from age. Would this problem require a complete flush which I was recommended by the garage, or should i just simply drain the fluid? The fluid levels are normal i think it just needs to be replaced.
>>
just get a shop to flush the system

also how many miles on it? sometimes depending on the condition of the tranny, flushing it is actually bad for it. thankfully the 4r70w/4r75w is a very cheap transmission and very easy to replace
>>
can't hurt to just do all the fluids in one fell swoop. check the air filter yourself, though rule of thumb is the previous owner probably hasn't changed it in a while.

can't speak to the ball joint or fuel system cleaning.
>>
Its working on 110,000 miles. I am under the impression the previous owner changed the fluid at about 60,000 miles.
>>
nothing?
>>
>>17877957
this, or flush the fluids yourself, shit's e-z
tranny fluid comes out the bottom and goes in the tube near the back of the engine bay labeled 'transmission fluid' (yes, it goes in the dipstick tube, unlike oil)- get a funnel
for 03+ panthers, the whole upper arm needs to replaced, not just the ball joint, but it's simple enough to do yourself- might want to get an alignment afterwards though, just in case
air filter is literally 10 seconds
fuel system, the filter is on the bottom of the frame near the rear passenger door IIRC, buy a new one and use a tool to take it off the lines so you don't have to run new ones which will be a big pain in the ass
>>
Drain and fill trans. Replace the filter. Get a vampire to make the job much cleaner (Pic related) repeat in 30k miles.

Open bleeder on the passenger-right and pump all the old fluid out. Then refill and use the usual bleed procedure on all wheels from the furthest to the closest until fluid runs clear.

Replace upper control arms, both sides, unless one seems newer. They've both been under there the same amount of time miles, so if you do one, the other is going to be ready soon.

Replace fuel filter. Any other cleaning can be done by stomping on it occasionally. I got an 87 Ranger from my Grandpa that had been driven 200-2k miles/year while he had it. It was flat and had no power. I drove it for about 1k miles giving it some occasional WOT and it became a different truck. I wouldn't doubt a 2005 Grandma arkey could have had similar treatment.

Done.
>>
File: mityvac.jpg (13KB, 296x450px)
mityvac.jpg
13KB, 296x450px
>>17879664
Forget pic related...
>>
>>17879383
The fuel filter clips will break, so make sure you get a filter that comes with clips
>>
>>17877938
>Would this problem require a complete flush
You can't complete flush any 4r7XX w/o dropping the pan twice. Just do a normal change of transmission fluid & filter using motorcraft fluid and filter.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.