[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be cheaper *in the immediate sense* for someone with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: thinkig.png (175KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
thinkig.png
175KB, 600x600px
Would it be cheaper *in the immediate sense* for someone with no mechanic friends and no car savvy to get a dealership sedan with a 100,000 mile warranty?
>>
>>17877492
Just stemming from the idea that, "Whoops, parts are breaking, let's take it to the shop," could become inconvenient and expensive for someone like me.
>>
I paid for a third part warranty with my used car for peace of mind. I had one issue so far which was covered. The would be cost was half of what the warranty was and still have a year and a half to go. If you don't plan on modding it I think it's worth the peace of mind.
>>
>>17877533
I think a warranty on anything that is prone to breaking is a good idea. Sometimes I get replacement warranties on electronics that I end up using three times.

So, you're saying that you can get a third party warranty, a warranty on a used car you bought from Steve or something? How does that work?
>>
>>17877544
I bought my car at a dealer so they showed me the third party companies that would offer a warranty for my car. All maintenance has to be done at the dealership and some other terms. Brands also provide a warranty for their own certified used cars which is a better warranty than third party.
>>
>>17877807
Oh. I don't know if the service I was referring to is first party or not, but that's basically what I was referring to, taking it to the dealer to get work done. Maybe it is the best move for people who aren't car-savvy.
>>
>>17877492
>he doesn't take any car he's buying to a mechanic for inspection
meh, dealers like to weasel out of repair work

>>17877544
>How does that work?
let's ask some football man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRb42aYK0g
>IT'S A SCAM

>>17877533
>I paid twice as much for the same service
>I do the same thing for worthless electronics lol
great advice champ
>>
>>17878357
I understand you get a sense of superiority from your car knowledge, but the truth is that most of the world is made up of sad, car-knowledge-less retards who have to bumble around with blindfolds on their faces...and these people still need to drive.

the thing about getting a dealership car looked at by a mechanic was a good idea. do you have any other good suggestions?
>>
File: IMG_20170518_161134.jpg (3MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_161134.jpg
3MB, 4640x2610px
>>17878357
Not sure if you understand how warranty works. I didn't pay "twice as much as the repair" because they'll fix anything else that happens in the next year and a half. On top of the issue they fixed (warped harmonic balancer) I got a coolant flush and new oil pan gasket.

>>17877847
If it's a 100k warranty it's probably certified pre-owned. It's a used Toyota that is sold again by Toyota for example. They put really good warranties on them (all brands do this) the third party is more like 3 year or 30k Miles. Third party usually only covers mechanical parts, not electronics and stuff. Make sure to ask to read the pamphlet about the warranty and read what's covered AND what they'll replace it with. It could be "like equivalent" which could mean something from a junkyard.
>>
>>17878711
so you're saying I should go for a certified pre-owned with a 100k warranty? that's what I was thinking.

other people on 4chan are telling me to just get a bare minimum used car and to utilize friendly advice (such as friends and the internet) to avoid getting scammed by mechanics.
>>
>>17878772
A certified pre-owned would be pretty boring to me. But if you plan on owning the car for that long it should be worth it in the end. You could buy a shitbox for $3k but that's even more boring.
>>
When you buy a warranty, it's a gamble. You're betting something bad is going to happen while the insurer is betting something won't. They plan to money off of this.

If you can afford insurance but can't afford something catastrophic happening maybe it's the right choice. if you can put that warranty money away and pay for most needed fixes, the warranty company is betting against you, and you know they aren't selling that warranty to lose money.
>>
>>17877492
Used car warranties from stealerships aren't worth the paper they're printed on
>>
>>17880046
Can you elaborate?

For example, Lexus offers certified pre-owned models with bumper to bumper warranties for 4 years after purchase... is that bad?
>>
>>17880101
Manufacturer ones are probably ok since they do have a reputation to uphold. I'm talking about 3rd party ones where you go to used car delearship and they offer you a warranty from another company.
>>
>>17878357
>he doesn't take any car he's buying to a mechanic for inspection

You're a condescending douche, but I'm truly shocked the number of people who buy high-mileage used cars and when I ask if they got a PPA their response is "uhh....no?"

I'd argue the #1 why used cars from third parties get a bad name
>>
>>17880122
PPI***
>>
if you're buying a kia just keep in mind

don't buy a kia

thanks
>>
>>17880122
PPIs aren't cheap though. If you're buying an old shitbox it's almost not worth it.
>>
>>17880101
Not the samefag.

All i hear about cars with non original warranties is that they're a pain in the ass. You really need to study the contract and make sure you understand everything that is covered and what it not. With the right imagination any warranty contract can be made null and void as soon as you drive it off the lot if you dont do your part and read carefully
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.