[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hypothetical question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1433392442170.jpg (16KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
1433392442170.jpg
16KB, 480x269px
let's say you're going 75 down the interstate (70) when a cop comes up and passes you going 85. no lights, no hurry, just cruising down the interstate patrolling. you wait for him to gain some distance and you proceed to follow him matching his speed but at a fair following distance (say 4-5 car lengths). there are no other cars but you and him. after a few miles of both of you going 85 in a 70, he flips on the disco lights and waits for you to pass then pulls you over and then charges you with 15 over. what are your legal options at this point? do you have a leg to stand on for fighting the ticket? also assume you have a dash cam with gps speed that showed him passing you at 10 over, and then you going exactly as fast as him.
>>
to reiterate, this is just a hypothetical question.
>>
>>17874515

why would you have an excuse for speeding? because the cop did it?

if it went to court they would simply be looking to prove the following: did you break the law? yes or no?

not about why or why not. the cop might have to answer to his boss, and if you could PROVE he was speeding he may even get a ticket, but it wouldn't cancel out your ticket.

you're best to attack technical elements of a ticket/issue, to weaken the probability of some detail like the exact speed, if his gun was calibrated, or better yet - HOW he determined you were speeding and the speed you were doing, road conditions/traffic/weather, etc.
>>
>>17874528
>and if you could PROVE he was speeding he may even get a ticket,

i should mention that this wouldn't be an issue to discuss during your trial, they would be there to discuss your speeding ticket alone

if you had a video of it, recorded the interaction and it was unflattering, took it high up to the Sgt./Chief, or even brought it to the media - you could possibly shame the department into bending over, but that's a far cry - and you'd literally have permanent enemies on every corner in your town for the rest of your life
>>
just because the cop broke the law doesn't excuse you from breaking it
>>
>>17874528
figured as much, just thought I'd ask.
on the subject though, what about when you actually get tagged by an aircraft (the once a year they actually fly) or when they run speed traps where it's a dude on a bridge lasing people and calling out plates to a row of waiting cruisers to come get you? obviously the intercepting officer didn't tag you and therefore won't have your speed, could you get out of it with that fact?
>>
>>17874558
No

1.)You have another office (the guy on the bridge) who was present and did witness you speeding. It doesn't matter that he radio'd another office to pull you over

2.) In modern police cars, the computer logs the speeds off the Lidar/radar gun, so they are going to have an electronic record
>>
>>17874590
gay. has technology gone to far?
>>
>>17874558

No, because it would be the tagging officer's testimony combined with the issuing officer's testimony that would nail you in a court room.

Officer 1 would testify that you were speeding, and how he knew it (I tagged him with a laser, read 120mph, held gun on target for 4 seconds, etc.). Officer 2 would do the same, stating something like "Officer 1 advised of offender traveling northbound in a pink Miata with anime stickers and tag 'LUVSCUM'".
>>
File: screenshot039.jpg (70KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot039.jpg
70KB, 720x480px
>>17874612
"Dispatch, we are in high speed pursuit of a white Miata, southbound on route 294, request backup"
>>
>>17874590
>In modern police cars, the computer logs the speeds off the Lidar/radar gun

Dig into this if you ever get a ticket, lots of cop cars still don't have that. My college instructor said a lot of officers wouldn't even bother syncing their guns to their MDT because the firmware was such shit that it would cause it to crash 50% of the time - they would just issue a ticket based on the speed displayed in the gun.

At that point, it's basically the officer's testimony alone - which is usually given MORE weight than yours (unfairly, yes), but it's still subject to weakening. Like I said earlier on, just pick apart the details of the story. I have a pending ticket right now that I'll be fighting next spring.

Cop issued it to me on a rainy night, pitch black, with a car in front of me and another to my side. We were coming around a bend and visibility was poor. His view of my vehicle was obstructed by the other two vehicles, who would have to have been driving AT LEAST as fast as I was.

1.) Is there any doubt that the officer successfully targeted my vehicle?

2.) Was he able to get an ACCURATE reading, given the ambient interference that fog has on lidar?

3.) Where was he targeting? Could he see my plate well enough? (Cops are trained to aim their laser on your tags)

4.) How did he not target the other vehicles, who would have been MORE visible? More importantly, WHY didn't he?

I figure this cop was a lazy shitbird who thought it would be an easy ticket. I didn't make a stink on the side of the road. He probably keeps shitty notes too - I'll see when they send them to me in a few months.
>>
>>17874515
4-5 car lengths is not a reasonable distance at 85
>>
File: FJ crash test.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FJ crash test.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>17874625

In addition to this, check any tickets for errors. Minor discrepancies are usually waived by the court, but major errors like the incorrect date, time, location, vehicle tag #, driver information, etc. can void a ticket. It's considered incorrect on its face, and is usually scrapped as a matter of procedure.
>>
>>17874637
Strange anon, sounds like you know what you're talking about. But what about when you sign the ticket confirming yourself as well that the information above is correct?
>>
>>17874622
"Dispatch, we are in high speed pursuit of a Grey Fiat Spider, southbound on route 294, request backup"

"Cancel that, Dispatch. Car has suffered typical Fiat build quality issues. Suspect has broken down"
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.