[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Do I build a turbo sw20 or LS 240sx?

I have the opportunity to buy a 3sgte (which I'm going to rebuild) for $200 or a ratty S13 hatch shell for $800. The shell is clean title and not beat, but most panels don't match and it's stripped. I can get cheap LS2's around here (less than $800), but the fabric work is going to be thicc because LS swap. I like the idea of an SW20 since I already daily an adub and a SW20 would make a nicer daily, but still be similar in feel. Also I've pulled an engine from a car before, but the engine we put back in bolted up stock, so I don't have much fab work experience. With an sw20 I'd likely be buying a N/A shell and converting it, which is somewhat of a project, but probably not over my head.

/end_ramble

tldr: sw20 turbo or LS 240sx

I don't want this to be a thread about which engine is better. I think the 3sgte and LS2 are both great in their own right. LS2 would probably be cheaper to own in the long run, but I like muh turbo sounds and feel and with either I'm not going to be breaking 350whp since I want this to eventually turn into a daily and I live in a rainy place.
>>
bump
>>
>>17873949
Scrap that, buy another AW11 and put the 3sgte into it. It's a super well documented swap and that engine is capable of 300whp easy, in a 2200lb car.

You'll thank me later.
>>
>>17874085
Or you could just source a 4AGZE and turbo it for even cheaper.
>>
Turbo ls2
>>
>>17874098
A 4agze will not take anywhere near the same amount of power the 3sgte will take.
Everyone knows how Toyota overbuilt the internals of the 2jz, but no one knows how Toyota overbuilt the internals of the 3sgte. I've heard of stock internal engines making 600whp.

The 4agze shouldn't be pushed past 250whp, which is basically a tune, intake, and downpipe on a 3sgte motor.
>>
>>17873949
Ls. Less people will give a shit when you ruin it
>>
>>17874115
>A 4agze will not take anywhere near the same amount of power the 3sgte will take.
Okay sure but
>The 4agze shouldn't be pushed past 250whp
I've tuned standalones on 4AGZE+Turbos that were running 255WHP without heavy stress. the ZE is a tank if you want a budget turbo.

If you want more power you should obviously go with a gen 3 or 4 3SGTE but they're generally more expensive.
>>
>>17874115
Is this true? I'm making 300 whp on my SW20 Turbo, and I'm afraid to go further because I have read that the 3S-GTE block is prone to cracking at past 400 whp.
>>
>>17874307
You can 400hp+ out of a 3SGTE but you absolutely need a better intercooler, either W2A or a Trunk Mounted IC. Anything older than a GEN3 isn't really as sturdy either.
>>
>>17874365
Alright, this makes much more sense.

I figured that you would need a better intercooler, as the one on my SW20 were surprisingly small from the factory.

The 4th gen 3S was an absolute madman engine. It figures that it can push that much power on stock internals.

I guess I have an excuse to do the 2nd to 4th gen 3S-GTE swap now.
>>
>>17874375
The stock intercooler is both very small and is placed in the engine bay which is terrible spot for a regular non-fan A2A Intercooler to be. I see people who run big power either go water or drill through their trunk and go TMIC with fans venting out through the bottom of their trunk floor.

4th gens are pretty popular but the turbo that comes with it is welded to the manifold and is a lot harder to take off/replace with a bigger turbo than a 3rd gen. Third gen internals are also not as current as 4th but still are very good.
>>
>>17874085
I want to keep the adub as a reliable cheap daily. it's never broken down on me, is fine one the highway, and gets 32mpg. Also I would v6 swap before turbo
>>
>>17874542
>Also I would v6 swap before turbo
this. v6's are cheep.
>>
>>17874565
yeah it's just a pain to do the swap and often requires cutting into the trunk. also doing work on the v6 is nigh impossible after fitting it in.
>>
>>17875594
Good thing they're almost guaranteed to never break, but you're right
>>
>>17873949
Where are you getting a 3S-GTE for $200?
>>
>>17875604
off a guy in the middle of a divorce
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.