[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MUH MURICAN REEEEEEEEL STEEL!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: New Note.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
New Note.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I just feel like hating on one of my acquaintances.

He's the type that uses hyperbolic antidotes as scientific method.

He strongly believes older cars are better at everything. Now, I drive a '77 Lincoln Continental, have driven 70's pickups, have driven 80's muscle cars, have driven 60's sedans, and have had to work on them all. It sucks, even though it's fun, it sucks.

Yes I enjoy plowing roads in the Continental, there is NOTHING in the world like seeing that hood 10' in front of you like steering an airboat on land. But my god does it suck smelling the unburned exhaust, yes, even with the carburetor tuned perfectly, EGR and AIR systems working properly. It sucks tuning carbs twice a year due to weather shifts. It sucks feeling the heat bellowing out from the wheel wells and fenders when it's 98ยบ out here and you have to park the thing in the fucking garage...and smell it from inside the house.

But it's FUN and irreplaceable, I'll give him that.

The problem is whenever he talks like this:

>GWAAAAA PLASTIC, MORE LIKE "I SUCK DICK!"
>OLD CARS ARE REEEEEAL STEEL
>NEW CARS JUST CRUMPLE LIKE TIN CANS. TIN CANS MAN, NEW CARS ARE ALL TIN CANS. CAN I SAY TIN CANS TEN TIMES, I CAN!
>OLD CARS NEVER NEEDED REPAIRS, THEY NEVER HAD PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS WERE INVENTED BY THE JAPANESE!
>I ONCE BACKED INTO A CAMRY AND DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT. HIS CAR LOOKED LIKE KING KONG SHAT IT OUT, MINE, HEH, NOT A SCRATCH!
>MY DAD HIT A NEW CAR IN AN INTERSECTION AND IT WAS LIKE THEIR FRONT END EXPLODED. MY DAD JUST LICKED HIS FINGERS AND WORKED THE BUMPER BACK INTO SHAPE AND DROVE HOME JUST FINE. THEY ALL DIED AND HAD TO HAVE THE CAR TOWED AWAY. IT WAS TOT'LD!

Post more stories about old cars eating it bad when pit against new cars in the real world.

I remember a story of a 60's Chevy/Buick/Olds whatever hitting a modern Japanese car head-on. Both of the people in the old car died, both of the people in the new car walked away.

Pic related. 70's vs 2012, he died, they didn't.
>>
New cars are disposable and commit seppuku to save the occupants. Old cars are a lot more robust when it comes to low speed collisions, but will kill you in anything faster than 40 mph.

Essentially, it boils down to whether you value your own life or your car's.
>>
>>17867856
.......I may be dead but boy look at my black ElCo! just don't touch the fucking trim!
>>
>new cars are safer than old cars
great thread it sure is something /o/ cares about and was unaware of
>>
>>NEW CARS JUST CRUMPLE LIKE TIN CANS. TIN CANS MAN, NEW CARS ARE ALL TIN CANS. CAN I SAY TIN CANS TEN TIMES, I CAN!
That's what a lot of people don't get. They think that because they're designed with "crumple zones" that the car deforms easily in an accident. In reality, it's only the outside portions of the vehicle that crumple like tin cans relative to the stiff passenger area that retains itself, but the entire bodies of most old cars crumple like paper because they have no reinforcement, at all. An object that offers crumples with no resistance does nothing to slow an impact.

This is the reason why new cars are all significantly heavier than older cars of similar sizes, there's so much extra material used to reinforced the new cars for safety.

The only part of a new car that gets damaged easily is the plastic covers on the bodywork, such as the ones covering the bumpers.
>>
>>17867925
This video sums this up. I showed him this (even though the "old" car isn't old enough) and he laughed "HYUCK, LOOK AT THAT SHIT, IT'S SHUH-REDDED! DUDE YOU AIN'T WALKING AWAY FROM THAT MAN! I'LL TAKE THE BIG CAR!
Even after he saw inside he wasn't convinced.

I'm posting images of Panther car crashes that people survived in every post now, because I'm fucking SHOCKED at how resilient these are! I have two and I love them.
>>
File: 944_acc071913_3_.jpg (108KB, 944x626px) Image search: [Google]
944_acc071913_3_.jpg
108KB, 944x626px
>>17867962
forgot the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn53MGa1v_o&t=2s
>>
File: santa_maria_pd_crash.jpg (113KB, 700x548px) Image search: [Google]
santa_maria_pd_crash.jpg
113KB, 700x548px
So you guys really aren't n2 fun?
>>
>>17867962
>I'LL TAKE THE BIG CAR!
Big cars do actually offer more safety than smaller cars simply by being heavier, at least when two vehicles are colliding.

It's not about the amount of metal inbetween the passengers and the other car, it's simply momentum. As you can see in that video you posted, the Yaris bounced off the heavier car and moved backwards, while the heavier car just twisted in place from the asymmetrical impact, rather than bouncing back. The two things that will hurt you in an impact are objects hitting you, such as parts of your car, and G forces from sudden acceleration or deceleration. The G force of deceleration from 70 to 0 is not as strong as going from 70 to -10.

Assuming the vehicles take the same damage from crashing them into stationary objects, the heavier car will be safer for its passengers.
>>
>>17867867
Like I said, old cars are better for low speed collisions only.
>>
Just show him this and STFU.
https://youtu.be/fPF4fBGNK0U
If he still thinks old cars are safer get new friends dude like for real, you can't argue with solid as fuck proof. He's probably deeply religious too i bet you
>>
File: 1463616151_d68ddfc27f_b[1].jpg (769KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1463616151_d68ddfc27f_b[1].jpg
769KB, 1024x768px
The real reason old cars are better.
>>
>>17868121
>deeply religious

It's amazing you redditor atheists try to subvert the automobile board still. /o/ has been and always will be a CHRISTIAN BOARD.
>>
>>17868121
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb_e3tllSfE

It pains me that they destroyed a beautiful bel-air for that... but oh well i guess....
>>
>>17868238
You can tell this was rendered on Windows XP.
>>17868232
>anybody who disagrees with me is reddit
t. reddit
>>
>>17868277
reddit is reddit
t. reddit
>>
>>17868277
Except it was filmed in the 60s....??
>>
>>17868316
You obviously don't understand how video editing works.
>>
>>17868238
It was a '59 during the critical mass of ass, I own an old car but believe you me, nothing of value was lost there.
>>
>>17868121
> Tested collision off centre with a car using an X frame chassis instead of a ladder
> Be surprised when it collapses substantially in an off centre collision
Stop the fucking presses
>>
File: 20170912_143553.jpg (298KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
20170912_143553.jpg
298KB, 1328x747px
if you wreck you're gay
case dismissed
>>
File: 1505016643951.gif (826KB, 328x366px) Image search: [Google]
1505016643951.gif
826KB, 328x366px
>>17868232
amen brother
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g
>>
File: eagle-219679-640[1].jpg (103KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
eagle-219679-640[1].jpg
103KB, 640x426px
>>17867962
>mfw you can tell it's a Panther from a 125x65 thumbnail without even reading the post just from the C-pillar
>>
>>17868373
Wasn't the X-frame so unbelievably shitty that it was literally a one-year-only thing they immediately rolled back to a standard ladder frame in 1960?
>>
>>17867838

Nice strawman. No one thinks classics are safer or superior for daily driving, safety and comfort. People like them mainly for their pre-regulations body styles, ease of maintenance, history and as a hobby they can work on.
>>
>>17869099
>comfort
Many people agree that the older cars have fantastic comfort.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.