[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suddenly stalling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1436160172803.jpg (52KB, 251x244px) Image search: [Google]
1436160172803.jpg
52KB, 251x244px
So my car stalled out when I was coming to a stop. Like the idle dropped to 200rpm then gave out.
It wouldnt start back up so I held the pedal to get it to start but it would immediately die. So for like a minute after cranking it I held the pedal and it kept going. But it felt extremely rough. Like the pedal was jumping under my foot.
My destination was like 1 mile from where it stalled so I just kept going but as soon as I slowed down to turn it stalled again and cut the powersteering and I had to strong arm my way into a parking spot. I popped the hood to see if anything was wrong as was greeted by what smelled like burning rubber. Like the pipe covers or something could have been burning. The car wasnt overheating though.
This was two days ago and I took it to a mech, he wanted to replace my catalytic converter but I dont want to shell out that kind of money unless I have to.
Thoughts on the problem?
>>
I've been having a similar problem with my Cadillac. I replaced the MAP sensor, so I'm thinking it has something to do with a leaky hose somewhere.
>>
You melted a vacuum line have fun figuring out which one
>>
>>17867721
My car did that once. I bought a fancy OBDII logging graphing scanner, started replacing shit, consulted the FSM, couldn't fucking figure out what was wrong, gave it to a mechanic who said
>idk lol
>take it back

Turned out in the end to be the MAF sensor, even though it appeared to be reading within range.
>>
Could be a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hoses for any cracks or any that may have broken off. Could actually be a plugged up cat too though
>>
>>17867791
>>17867921
Its been driving fine since. It stalled once a month ago. But hasnt since so I ignored it. But the shaky pedal and smell have me worried about doing serious damage to the car.
How would I look for a vacuum issue. I was in a rush so I didnt really have time to thoroughly sniff everything and see what was the problem.
>>
>>17868541
If you aren't having the problem anymore I doubt it's a vacuum leak. Sounds to me like blockage in the exhaust.

>smell
If it's from the exhaust, said blockage may have cracked the manifold.
>>
>>17868577
I guess I should get the cat replaced if it is an exhaust problem.

Is there anyway I can know for sure before I buy a cat. I wouldnt be able to buy one for like a month honestly. Like can I ask a muffler shop to put on a straight pipe to test. And would that price efficient.
>>
>>17868620
Just have Cletus down the street cut it off for you. Hippy shit just steals your power anyways.
>>
>>17867721
Sorry Rob Spaghetti, but you won't find much help here for your NSX.
>>
>>17867721
Could be a clogged Throttle body, I had the same issue with my Lancer and it was just a matter of cleaning the butterfly values...good luck OP
>>
>>17867721
Had a similar issue with my Volvo. It turned out to be my throttle body, I cleaned it and it helped but I read that the throttle bodies are flawed from the factory. Could be an intake hose, vacuum line, IAC, MAP, MAF, etc. If your car is equipped with an OBD II port get it scanned by an auto parts store or buy a cheap Blue Tooth scanner to narrow down the fault.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.