[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechanic specials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: t0v9fnyj8rycn4mvfvyl.jpg (60KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
t0v9fnyj8rycn4mvfvyl.jpg
60KB, 800x450px
/o/, I have this notion that in order to learn how to fix shit on cars, that it would be a good idea to get shitty cars on craigslist, (mechanic specials or whatever) and putting the time into getting them in working order. Is this actually a good idea, or is there a better way to go about learning stuff hands on? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and already have a DD, so there wouldn't be any rush in needing to get something working.
>>
>>17864847
Bumb because I am thinking about doing the same thing, even if a car doesn't run, just the act of tearing it down and learning how everything goes together could be useful
>>
Also, are there certain things that I should try to get that are easier to work on than others to start with? I also don't mind investing money into tools/equipment when it ends up being neccesary
>>
Get a shitty civic from the mid nineties and start working.
>>
>>17865243
This, or just an old truck. There's lots of room to goof around in and cheap parts
>>
I too am interested in this idea.
>>
>>17865422
I would think the cheapest option would be a car that was totaled out from a rear end collision, that way your engine is still in working order and you can take it apart as you please. However this doesn't work if you want to try and do a restore of a car.
>>
>>17865467
I'd need to be able to use it as a DD within a month or so of getting it so it couldn't be too fucked up. Depends on how old it is if a totaled rear end collision, a older civic would probably get totaled from the bumper and lights getting smashed from the crash. Something newer would probably have frame damage if it was a total.

Some cunt smashed into the back of my moms accord at a stop light and it was totaled. Frame was bent a bit, but we ended up seeing it at a used car lot a few months later. Was a 2007 with 50k on it, probably $5000 in damage.

If the body/trunk gets bent that would be a pain in the ass since all the body panels won't line up and there would be problems getting things to fit back in.

Problem is here by the time something gets old enough to be a mechanic's special, probably already has cancer with body rust. I've been trying to find something that has a relatively rust free body and frame and an engine/transmision that isn't toast, but up here its hard.
>>
>>17864847
> Want to know how to fix cars
> Buy cars that need fixing
> Fix them
> Sell them on
How else do you think you're going to learn?

Just buy the absolute cheapest worn-out crap you can, and fix it until it's a viable car again. Then sell it and buy another.

>>17865527
>Problem is here by the time something gets old enough to be a mechanic's special, probably already has cancer with body rust
So teach yourself to fix that, or replace panels with ones from the scrapyard?
>>
>>17865557
>So teach yourself to fix that, or replace panels with ones from the scrapyard?
>Replacing unibody panels from some shitbox civic with ones from the scrap yard

I'd rather not
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.