[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does the Chevy Bolt compare to other EVs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 189467546189.jpg (280KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
280KB, 1200x800px
How does the Chevy Bolt compare to other EVs?
>>
>>17857693
I like it better than the Leaf.
>>
>>17857693
Trash interior like all EVs
Decent range, not exactly high-end Tesla but close
Gimmick paddle is stupid (seriously, EV makers, just tie regen braking to the normal brake pedal with a detent system so that the first detent activates the regen and the second detent activates the friction brakes so you can still stop quickly if some idiot tries to ram you. It's that simple.)
Dumbass shifter design takes everything bad about the the prius's tweak-knob selector and makes it worse
Decent acceleration, much better than a comparable gasoline econobox like a Honda Fit but not setting any records
Speed governed to an absurdly slow limit (95-ish, I think) so good luck making an overtake on the faster parts of the US interstate.
40k pricetag new, maybe some dealer discounts and the 7500k tax credit if you're an american

oh, yeah, and the big kicker:
LITERALLY NO CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE
It's not compatible with tesla superchargers and other EV fast charging stations will take 6 hours to get the battery full if you can find one at all.

Final rating
5/10 chevy, you tried, but you still make really stupid decisions some times. At least it's not a fucking leaf
>>
>>17857693
looks like a shitbox a 20yo community college kid who waits tables & lives at home drives to school

had a chance to be really cool...but the exterior is too shitbox generic
>>
>>17857693
It's in the running for being a generally good car, but they're not trying to sell it at all.
>>
>>17857693
I hear it's uncool
>>
80% chevy parts-bin parts. Drivetrain is made by LG. They put basically zero R&D into it. Which is funny, because it's pretty competent for a modern EV

I'd wait for the gen 2. If the LR Leaf gets 240mi I'd spring for it instead tho.
>>
Let me guess....you watched RCR?
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
It doesnt have the cool factor the Tesla has, or the supercharge meme, but it has essentially everything else.

Also it has an actual maintenance network, unlike the Tesla

But in reality, if you are taking your EV outside of the 60 mile bubble from where you live, your an idiot anyway

Volt is still the best option IMO. Specially cuz they are rather cheap used
>>
>>17860720
what's wrong with the tesla maintenance network? They're rolling out hundreds of mobile repair vans. They say like 95% of problems can be fixed outside of the shop itself w/o a lift... from what I've seen, it's working great.
>>
>>17862538
The infrastructure required for mobile repairs is immense.

Just imagine it this way. Half of your techs time will probably just be traveling. Also, if the car will be out of service for a day+, you will need to supply a loaner. That means you will need someone to drive a car to the owner, and pick it up.

Furthermore, this could work for the model S and other high markup models, but what about the model 3? With its razor thin profits, do you think they will willingly send a tech for every minor issue you have? On top of that, there will be wayyyyy more model 3s out than model Ss. This requires some pretty hefty scaling.

I see it as more complicated than a designated hub where the customer can drop the vehicle off themselves. This takes a lot of the inefficiency of mobile repairs out, especially when Tesla is expected to foot the bill themselves (warranty)
>>
File: 340087-1503353466682409.png (27KB, 620x122px) Image search: [Google]
340087-1503353466682409.png
27KB, 620x122px
>>17862582
those are good criticism, but Tesla seems to have it figured out. Someone did the math at Tesla and it worked out for them. here's a random quote about recent servicing efforts:

“We continue to evolve our service function as well. In Q4, we reduced service backlog in our busiest markets by 25%, and by year end we had increased the number of cars serviced per day by 45% since Q3’16, and by 95% since Q1’16. In fact, we are on track to reduce the global average wait time for vehicle service to less than one day by the end of the first quarter of 2017.”

Furthermore, see this chart: even though Tesla's quarterly revenue grew by 120% from the year-ago period, provision for warranty grew by only 35%.

So they are saving money too, it seems. Somehow.
>>
the closest anyone has come to actually challenging a Tesla at their own game and still coming up hugely short; $40k price tag for what is essentially a $20k car with no access to long range EV travel but a decent car for suburban / city driving

it's an EV that would have been perfect 5 years ago but has been outpaced by Tesla with a bad fast charging network to back it up but it's at least a decent attempt, but I would buy a Volt before a Bolt
>>
>>17862608
I think the main issue is the model 3. There are already 10x more preordered than all other teslas combined. This will require a massive fleet of techs.

Also cheap price usually means cheaper construction, which will mean more warranty claims. From what I understand from Tesla workers, the QC is already garbage, and an overworked force in that factory will only make it worse. I heard it has gotten better recently as they get into second+ model years, which probably accounts for slower warranty cost growth.

All in all, this will probably work out as the numbers have been run by many people with degrees from much better schools than I.

I just feel it is an unnecessary "innovation" that may just create more inconvenience than good. While dealerships definitely have their issues, it is a good thing to be able to go to a central location and talk to a human about issues or questions you have about your second (or first if renting) most valuable possession.
>>
>>17860059
It's very possible the Bolt is just a car for GM to make up numbers for CAFE rules since it's a loss leader for them. They are losing a fairly substantial amount of money on every car.

>>17860699
If they can stop losing so much money on the bastard and actually make the interior decent it might work.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.