[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Starlight Headliner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: rolls.jpg (253KB, 1940x1420px) Image search: [Google]
rolls.jpg
253KB, 1940x1420px
I want to do this but I have no idea how to remove my headliner. If anyone shares the desire for a starlight headliner, pls discuss & halp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beuMxy5Nh8I

This guy did it, I have a similar car (2014 435xi) but he's too much of a cunt to make a detailed video of removing and reinstalling the headliner and I can't find anything online about it.
>>
>>17822695
Personally not a fan of this stuff but to remove the headliner you literally just have to remove all the supporting pillars and then take out like 4 screws and it just pops off. Its a lot of work. A lot of clips will break.
I know this because I did a full headliner replacement on my 17yo 323i when the material was sagging.
I can only imagine that you would also need to pull off the headliner cloth and reapply afterwards, which is an actual nightmare. Other than that its just drilling holes in the foam board and sticking those strands of led bulbs through the holes and hooking them up to your courtesy lights or something.

If you plan on doing this for some reason, please for the love of god dont have them stay on when you're driving. It seems cool at first but you will not only look like a stoner but you'll get pulled over as soon as it gets dark.

Sources: personal experiences and mistakes that costed a lot of money to correct
>>
>>17823076
>E36 fag with the same problem
Did you consider sanding the headliner panel down and just painting it with something?

>>17822695
The biggest challenge I see is getting the 'stars' distributed into a pattern that doesn't end up looking like shit. Human beings tend to be really bad at producing random patterns.
>>
It's a real bitch to replace or remove headliners. Get a professional to do it if you have to.
>>
>>17823106
>Did you consider sanding the headliner panel down and just painting it with something?
Honestly when I had the board out and I found that the company I bought from sent me 1/4th thickness instead of the required 1/8th I was tempted. Ended up going to a local upholsterer and he put some material down for me for like $150 and I put the board back in the next day.
>>
>>17822695
It's a shitload of work man, looks tacky in my opinion but you do you my dude
>>
File: Starlight_headliner.jpg (280KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
Starlight_headliner.jpg
280KB, 2048x1366px
>>17822695
>I have no idea how to remove my headliner.
Look up the previously archived /o/ threads on dynamat. One of them even shows pictures of tools and commentary by people who've done it. And there are youtube videos on removing headliners too.

I don't care for stupid random light holes in the headliner. To me, it looks frivolous just like people who install other types of light effects. Pictured is a different type of starlight headliner.
>>
>>17823076
Yeah I'll probably just go to a professional then. Seems like I'd be in over my head to attempt a job like this.

As for keeping the lights on, I'll try and get some sort of on / off or dimmer switch and as long as they're not colored it should be legal enough.
>>
>>17823161
The one in the video looks kind of tacky but I think it's mostly because the guy made them all evenly spaced out and the lights are clue instead of white/gold. In the Rolls Royce they're clustered and spread out to look like an actual starry sky.
>>
File: 1468650213569.jpg (165KB, 1018x759px) Image search: [Google]
1468650213569.jpg
165KB, 1018x759px
>>17822695
More lights to go with starlights and angel eyes.
>>
>>17823106
The stars in Rolls Royce's are the star chart for the date of the company merger or some such, not random
>>
>>17823725
That's a beautiful piece of information I was not aware of. I think this is the first time I've learned something on this board.
>>
File: fixed.jpg (31KB, 390x339px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
31KB, 390x339px
>>17823629
>he doesn't like angel eyes
>>
File: Series_2009_1600pxl.jpg (293KB, 1024x959px) Image search: [Google]
Series_2009_1600pxl.jpg
293KB, 1024x959px
>>17822695
>If anyone shares the desire for a starlight headliner
There are ostentatious things that rich people have to show they are rich. Golden faucets, platinum plated screws, even cabinetry for breakers. And of course their cars would have starlight headliners.

But for normal people, these kinds of ostentatious things look ridiculous and pretensive. I wouldn't tell them that to their face, but that is what I and lots other normal people would think. If OP is one of those rich people or associates a lot with rich people, then adding a starlight headliner might work out. Most rich people live according to a different logic as we've seen from some of those reality or documentary shows on cable TV.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.