[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are a majority of rally cars hatchbacks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 10431_WRC_Hyundai-944-2017_1.jpg (136KB, 944x531px) Image search: [Google]
10431_WRC_Hyundai-944-2017_1.jpg
136KB, 944x531px
Why are a majority of rally cars hatchbacks?
>>
>>17821363
Because
>>
>>17821368
NEW
DAY
ROCKS
>>
Lighter than their sedan counterparts generally

And for manufacturers it's an excuse to push their low selling models because "racecar".
>>
>>17821386
why would a 5door be lighter than a coupe
>>
Roll cages easier to install in a hatch since it's already a box? Idk I think I read that somewhere
>>
>>17821457
show me a 5 door in the WRC that isn't the Mini Countryman. The Mini Paceman wasn't out when they developed the racing program
>>
>>17821506
wait, are the rally cars not comparable to their 5door counterparts?

like, the rally Focus RS, is different externally and internally from the domestic RS?
>>
>>17821363
shorter wheelbase and better aero dynamics
>>
>>17821363
Supposedly structural integrity and weight.
>>
Because WRC rules limit wheelbase in a way that only hatchbacks make the cut
>>
>>17821575
>hatch
>better aero than a sedan or coupe
what
>>
Homologation rules mean that the base car has to be a volume production car with a suitably small engine. The car should ideally be as light and small as the rules allow to make them fast on the tiny roads, and econoboxes fill all of those requirements so that's what they use. The bodyshell and engine block are essentially the only things shared between the production car with the rest being completely bespoke WRC-only parts anyway, so does it matter that much?
>>
>>17821363
because WRC is gay.
rally hasnt been cool since B class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwqyPct8qY
>>
>>17824487
Are you implying Group B wasn't mostly hatchbacks?
>>
>>17821462
This, trying to squish a roll cage in a sedan and making it stable is probably a nightmare.
>>
Heritage n stuff
>>
>>17824619
Since rally cars are stripped and roll cages are assembled and welded inside the car I don't see how this would pose many issues
>>
>>17824160
yes sedan have worse aero than hatch and coupé are just 3 doors sedan and they often have the same wheelbase and unnecessary body behind the rear wheel
>>
Publicity.
>>
File: 1.jpg (183KB, 1800x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
183KB, 1800x1080px
>>17821363
those models sells better than sedan (compare fiesta vs mondeo), also when i hear bout gorup B, modern cars are even faster, 2017 is way faster, WRC polo or fiesta, DS3, i20 had better suspension even before 2017 and were faster on SS than group b
>>
>>17821363
Fia 2017 homologation requires the engine to be 1.6 litre and turbocharged. Also weight. Also aesthetics.
>>
>>17821506
hyundai WRC i20 2016
>>
>>17824691

>Loeb wins everything
>no proper 2.0L AWD turbo hatch/sedan released to homologate/celebrate
>WRC boring and sanitized compared to 25-30 years ago
>>
>>17824927
Loeb has qiut like 5 years ago?
>>
>>17821386
>low selling models

maybe in America but rally is mostly European and in Europe these are the cars everyone drives
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 750x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 750x415px
Since we're on the topic of rally cars and I'm too lazy to make a new thread, what exactly goes into a rally car's suspension set up? I imagine the springs have to have a fair amount of travel, so is it just that they have like 3 shocks per spring or what??
>>
Minimal front and rear overhangs for a low polar moment of inertia
>>
>>17825124
no they have different speeds for bumping, normal, fast bumps, rebounds etc and u can adjust haw soft/hard they are on each conditions
>>
>>17821363
Because that's what sells, and motorsport exists to sell cars!
>>
Lighter and smaller
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.