[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it ever worth it to modify a non-performance model car? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

Is it ever worth it to modify a non-performance model car?

I have a regular 2007 Honda Civic, I'm guessing it would be a better idea to just sell it and spend extra getting a 2007 Civic Si? Maybe it's worth it if you have a Mk5/Mk6 Golf since it has a 2.5L I5 whereas the GTI has a 2.0L I4.
>>
File: IMAG1767.jpg (893KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1767.jpg
893KB, 2688x1520px
How many miles are on yours and what condition is it in? I have an 07 Civic. I went for a $750 Honda Factory Performance (HFP) suspension upgrade when my stock suspension became shit around 130k miles. Amazingly worth it; felt confident throwing that shittub around canyons. Installing a 22 mm rear sway bar (up from 11) next which was $200. We have a ~$2k supercharger kit available for the R18 engine, but at that point, get an Si unless you want to get weird.

Every mod will impact an Si much better, but if you're stuck with your R18, put better suspension on it, some summer tires, RSB, and that's it. Don't bother with much else.

I just helped my friend buy a 2008 Si coupe and they are very different cars. Much more worth spending money on. Just make sure not to get one with paint fade. Holy fuck, all that paint fade.
>>
File: 30704408812_141624ec39_k.jpg (733KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
30704408812_141624ec39_k.jpg
733KB, 2048x1366px
>>17819932
>Is it ever worth it to modify a non-performance model car?

Nope. If you want to modify an 8th gen civic, yes, start with the Si.

btw when you sell it don't expect it to be worth as much as a stock one, no matter what type of modifications you did to it. You know unless you bring it back to stock and sell off all the parts.

t. '08 Civic lx sedan owner
>>
>>17819959
>>17819970
Mine is an automatic with 150,000km.

I'm not seriously interested in doing anything to it, I'm just curious to see if there are any cars where the base model has decent tuning potential.
>>
File: BattleEvome-16-71.jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
BattleEvome-16-71.jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
>>17819983
>I'm not seriously interested in doing anything to it, I'm just curious to see if there are any cars where the base model has decent tuning potential.

yeah it does have decent tuning potential when you have unlimited funds. Seriously you can make a lowly base model into a proper race car if you have the funds, its been done before and im sure someone is doing it now.

But you don't have the money like that so don't worry about it. Get an Si, enjoy it and if you feel the need to modify it, do research the purchase whatever you need.

Honda tech forums or 8thgencivic forums are your friend.
>>
>>17819983
take this for example.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/12/akaishi-special-the-joy-of-honda/

this dude bought a 1999 Honda Civic lx and turned it a track car while still being street legal
>>
File: IMAG0376e.jpg (605KB, 1200x735px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0376e.jpg
605KB, 1200x735px
>>17819983
Low mileage for an 07. Your OEM suspension should be good up until 120-140k. Keep the HFP in mind if you want to run the car into the ground, but it still has a lot of value right now. At least in CA, you could get $5-7k for it. Biggest problem with yours is that it's an auto. Same for me.

I should mention that I only fucked with mine because I already had an AE86 and didn't need an Si. I was upgrading as parts wore out on my 100 mile commute.

>I'm just curious to see if there are any cars where the base model has decent tuning potential.
Anything that has the detuned or de-boosted engine of a higher model.

>>17819999
8thgencivic is good. Too bad half the DIY threads had their pictures taken down by photobucket. So much info lost.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.