[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2006 Montero Limited?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: gen3 montero.jpg (139KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
gen3 montero.jpg
139KB, 800x600px
Anybody have any experience with the gen 3 Montero? I'm juggling between this and a 4runner. I need a reliable truck and I've narrowed it down to those two based on whats available where I live

I feel like the 4runner is significantly more reliable but I like the look of the Montero. Haven't had a chance to drive either yet tho
>>
>>17811968
Or if anybody has anything similar that's generally available in the midwest in the US
>>
>>17811968
I bit the bullet and got an 04 4runner from some sand nigger.
Paid 4.5 Canadian. Loads of work. So hope u like working on ur own shit. Mine is from rust belt, so it needs a full underbody scrub and a rust converter spray. Needed full breaks and lines all around. Buncha body work. All fluids changed. Etc.

Is it worth it?
Fuck yeeeaaaaa.
Engine 10/10. Tranny 10/10.
Just towed my FRS on a heavy ass car tansport from East coast to West coast. Average fuel consumption was 16 l/100km. Fkn amazing.
Slept in a fully laoded 4runner in th back (get a mat for ur bnea if u wonna sleep on sides).

The limited have air suspension, I need to take my sensors apart and clean them.

Tldr; test drive both. Get the one you like more. I love be the limited V8 4th gen 4runner
>>
For what it's worth, two of my buddies had Monteros in high school (one I know for a fact was an '05, the other I'm not sure but probably a couple MYs older) and they were both total shitboxes in terms of reliability... Constantly breaking, and parts aren't as plentiful as they would be for a 4runner of the same vintage, at least in my area.

The guy with the '06 came wheeling with us a few times and it hung relatively decently amongst our Moab jeeps, a couple 4runners and tacos, my bigass suburban and some other regulars. The only outstanding performance issue I can remember that he had with it was that he complained a lot about his approach/departure angles. He also could've just been making excuses for picking shitty lines, lmao.

Personally, I'd pick the 4runner but literally the only reason I have to back that up is that I seem to have a fear for things with less than 8 cylinders hah.

If you can find a monty in good condition tho, I bet it could be a unique build.
>>
^
Should've been "...with the '05* came wheeling..." my b
>>
>>17811968
Montero is definitely the bigger drivetrain of the two. Better V6 engine, better gearbox and diffs and axles aren't even a comparison between them.
The only thing with the 3rd gen Montero is it's an unconventional monocoque chassis and all wheel independent suspension that flexes alright at near standard ride height, but starts to mimic a skateboard as the more you lift it (you'll be limited to around ~2" anyway).
You get a 6G7x which is leagues ahead of the VZ series engines.
Front 8" 28 spline vs. the Toyota's 7.5" 27 spline
Rear 9.5" 33 spline vs. the Toyota's 8" 30 spline
Mitsubishi V5M31 is also leagues ahead of the R series Toyota gearboxes.
>>
File: exhibitionist in action.jpg (107KB, 736x1262px) Image search: [Google]
exhibitionist in action.jpg
107KB, 736x1262px
>>17814231
You think the 6G7 is also better than the 1GR and the V5M31 > than A series tranny? Cause I'm seeing plenty of 4th gen 4Runner for similar prices to the 06 Monty I see in front of me.

Actually, speaking of price, is $8k way too much an asking price for the Monty? Is it closer to the 3rd Gen 4runner price range? There's so few for sale in my area I have no clue what a good price for a Monty should be, I just wanted to negotiate them to below 7k

>>17813428
>>17813539
So basically if I find a good clean v8 4runner just jump on that? I may have passed over one I'll have to do more research lol
>>
>>17814922
The GR is a fantastic engine, and is better than the older 3.5 6G74, although the 3.8 6G75 available in later 3rd gen Monteros is but closer.
While I don't know much about the A series box, the V5M31 is almost on par with an H151F (designed from the outset for 2-4tonne cab over Fuso trucks). Only shortcoming is syncros can be a little susceptible to wear if abused, but not really any more than any other 4x4 gearbox.
Dunno what prices are in your continent, but if price was on par, I'd choose the Mitsubishi, although in terms of an shear resale you can't beat a Toyota 4x4. And if I had the option of a V8 4Runner in my market, that'd be a pretty tough option to pass up.
I guess the best way to think of a Montero is a fullsize Landcruiser drivetrain in a body the size of a midsize Prado.
>>
>>17816718
I guess if the Montero is closer to a Landcruiser than 4Runner I might as well swing Montero. You from Aus or New Zealand?
>>
I've owned a 95 Hilux, and a 2004 Pajero. Both diesels.

The Pajero has a more refined ride and a much more powerful engine.

That gen Pajero is bigger than a Hilux/4runner.
It's comparable in size to a GX series Lexus.

Never had a problem with either. No breakdowns.
Never replaced a part except fluids, bulbs and pads.
>>
>>17818759
Aus mate.
>>17818831
Presuming your Hilux was ye old 2.8 litre 3L? Not a bad motor that didn't have enough power to break itself, and went OK with an aftermarket turbo. But yeah, day and night compared to the DiD 3.2 in the NM/NP. Only problem with that generation of engine is the pseudo electronically controlled mechanical fuel pump which costs half the price of the car to be rebuilt. Rest of the motor's bulletproof though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.