[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Over heating out of the blue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160930_164405618.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160930_164405618.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
My car started overheating out of nowhere today, driving less than 10 minutes and the heat gauge is almost in the red, I haven't done anything with the coolant system recently and I made sure it was full of water which normally makes it run fine. Only thing I did recently was change the transmission fluid, I have no idea why this is happening. This is while I'm driving continuously too with no stops so its not from sitting still

'01 Plymouth Neon, please help
>>
>>17802411
Probably fucked the cooling system by putting water in it. Really needs coolant to lubricate the pump, seals, and prevent corrosion.
>>
>>17802419
This or shitty water pump or thermostat.
>>
>>17802419
Theres some degree of coolant in it that I've added before but I primarily use tap water because I'm too lazy to get the distilled stuff, will regular water really fuck it up?
>>
>>17802423
How do I figure out which one is bad
>>
>>17802424
After 20 years maybe. Temporarily it's fine

>>17802433
Replace the thermostat first because it's easier and cheaper. Test the old one by putting it in boiling water to see if it'll open. Open good, not open bad
>>
>>17802452
Theres no way to confirm if the pump is shit or not, just have to go through trial and error with the thermostat?
>>
bump for help
>>
>>17802411
>My car started overheating out of nowhere today
Without other problems being noticeable, this is classically the result of either the thermostat going bad or the waterpump vanes being corrosded away (waterpump bad). No one repairs parts on a waterpump; they simply replace the whole thing.

>>17802424
>will regular water really fuck it up?
Coolant has additive chemicals in it to reduce electrolysis from the salts in water. Dissolved minerals in water is essentially salts of various elements such as calcium, sodium, and potassium. The additives also reduce the amount of calcium deposits and thus improves cooling efficiency.

Coolant is cheap enough and infrequently consumed that it should always be used instead of water. And if you use water, it should be distilled water. WHY? If you use ONLY tap water, as the water evaporates, the minerals are left behind. Over time, the water left inside the cooling system becomes saltier and saltier as water evaporates leaving yet more minerals behind.

Assuming you are doing the water pump replacement yourself, you should also flush the system to get the mineral water out. Then use the officially approved coolant for your 2001 Neon.
>>
>>17802702
I've only been using tap water a few months, is this enough to fuck it up?

What are the odds its the thermostat vs water pump?
>>
I read online that failing water pumps tend to leak, I noticed that the coolant tubes in my car remained pressurized when warm, would this indicate the culprit is likely the thermostat?
>>
>>17802458
>>17802764

The waterpump usually starts weeping from a hole below the shaft when they go bad--the seal fails and this happens by design. If you've been adding water because your coolant level has been dropping, this would be my guess.

Thermostats fail fairly often, usually from corrosion or gunk which your hamfisted maintenance isn't helping. Like >>17802452 said, pull it and throw it in a pot of water on the stove. Above ~180F, the spring should open (boiling water 212F, etc). Usually you can do this test without needing to replace a gasket but do be careful with the hose and clamp unless you want to go buy replacements.
>>
>>17802909
I paid $800 for the car so I've been trying to avoid paying any large amounts lest I get into the money pit zone for a shit box.

Is the thermostat salvageable by cleaning it or is it just better to cough up the $10 for a new one?
>>
>>17802929 just buy a new one dude. you're not gonna have to buy another one for a fucking while , so just pay the money for it.
>>
>>17802929
Try cleaning it if it's gunked up; it's not going to cost you anything and if anything starts leaking afterwards from your mooking around the thermostat, then you can pick that up too and save a trip.
>>
>>17802950
>>17802951
Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate the help, its shit like this that makes me want to dump the thing on Craigslist and go back to riding my bike everywhere, god if it wasn't slow and I couldn't carry shit but every time something broke I went to the shop and abused the hell out of my lifetime warranty.
>>
File: 1460526397600.jpg (167KB, 983x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1460526397600.jpg
167KB, 983x1024px
>>17802411
Buy a fucking thermostat you piece of shit. see if it works, if it does THEN WOAH MAGIC. If not then you're out 20 bucks at most and you have a new thermostat. Jesus christ do some simple things before giving us such a vague diagnosis.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.