[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Mustang

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Considering buying a 1st gen Mustang to replace my current car.
I drive maybe 10k km a year at most and use public transit to go to work so gas consumption and reliability compared to modern cars should not be too much of a problem.

Anything I should be aware of? Any specific model or details to look into or avoid?
From what I read, I should avoid the V6 models and search for a 289ci V8.
>>
File: 779968976ad78034789def2449d6a509.jpg (572KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
779968976ad78034789def2449d6a509.jpg
572KB, 2048x1536px
get a GM. Canadia i assume? Pontiac Beumont
>>
File: 2010-05-03 20.17.13.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
2010-05-03 20.17.13.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>17799217

/o/ is probably going to parrot a bunch of shit but as someone who actually daily drove a '67 I'll answer some questions

>Anything I should be aware of?

Learn how to adjust a carb if you don't already, should be plenty of Youtube videos on that.

Rust will be your biggest enemy. The first gen Mustang has no frills so it is very easy to work on and modify.

>Any specific model or details to look into or avoid?

Fastbacks are more desirable than coupes but other than being objectively better looking there's no benefit of the fastback style over the coupe. I would just go with the one with the least amount of rust.

Also a good point that most people look past is weather stripping. That shit is bound to be older than your grandma so if you live somewhere wet or plan on driving on the highway a lot get ready for lots of road noise and water leaks.

>From what I read, I should avoid the V6 models and search for a 289ci V8.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure no first gen Mustang came with a V6, they are all straight sixes. A positive is they are insanely easy to work on because they take up virtually no room in that humongous engine bay but the performance compared to even the smallest V8 is laughable and the gas mileage is pretty much the same. All of the engines offered in first gens are decent as far as reliability goes imo, I'd go for a Cleveland 350 personally for the extra torque.
>>
>>17799238
France, though I may move to the US for job in the coming years
>>17799249
How "wet" are we talking about? I own a garage so it won't be resting outside and we got a fairly temperate climate.
>>
>>17799261
well if you move to the US your selection of old American cars is virtually infinite. Ford/Mercury has the mustang, cougar, maverick, comet, falcon. GM has the chevelle/malibu, camaro, nova, Cutlass, monte carlo, skylark, the list goes on.
>>
>>17799261
You won't have to worry about it much if it's parked in a garage, you might get a little water leaking in through the tops of the windows while driving in the rain because the weather stripping gets really brittle and breaks off in chunks.

Water can also leak into the cabin through the A/C vents located between the hood and windshield but you can buy a plastic cover for it that can be easily removed.
>>
Check the frame and body for rust. Check the inside for any leaks. Check out the motor. With a car that old, you're either going to spend a lot on a car that's been well maintained or youre gonna wanna replace all the seals and gaskets, flush the coolant and oil system, and possibly a full tune up. Factor any PM repairs into your purchase.
>>
>>17799217
Owner of a 65' Mustang here

I don't daily it but I put around 5k miles a year on it.

Honestly not much problems to report, it's even more comfy that I thought. Not modern comfy but no-backache-when-you-do-a-long-drive comfy. The only work I did on it was suspension, new carburetor and new wipers motor.

as >>17799249 said, depending on where you live your main problem is rust and sound proofing. I did some highway drive and even if it was not too exausting, the fact that you have always wind noise can be hard.

I must add that you have some training to do with the brakes depending on what you drive usually. going from a 2010+ car with disc brakes and ABS to a 1970- car with drums everywhere can be unsettling. The braking is good, but you can still lock the wheels quickly.

For the design I have a convertible but a fastback or a coupe is pretty nice too. If you really like the fastback go for it, but dont ignore a coupe in good condition only because of that. Keep in mind that it is an old car and that panel gaps are huuuuuuge.

1st gen didn't have a V6 but a L6 and I heard they were great too. I have the 289 V8 and it still pulls quite good. I often surprise people on the highway that think that because it's an old car, it's slow.

When you say 1st gen you thing 65-66 or 65-69?
>>
>>17799261

>>17799285 here, I live in France too. You can have one in France quite easly and if you keep it garaged, you shouldn't have too much problem with rust.

Where do you live? south? Paris area?
>>
>>17799277
You guys had A/C in cars in the 60s ?!
>>17799285
65-69
>>17799272
I prefer the look of the Mustang
>>17799288
Paris
>>
>>17799375
A/C was an option from the 65 model, at first it was taken from another ford (falcon I think) and they gradually made a specific one for the mustang (better integration).

If you want to use the Mustang in the Paris area you must take in account that it doesn't turn that well and that can be an issue. Another one can be overheating but I didn't have any problem even in trafic. If you can, find one with power steering, it helps.
Having your car register as an historic car let you avoid the dumb pollution sticker you have to have for driving in Paris.
Mustangs of that era have the benefit to not be too big and you can park them more easily than landbarges. Another big advantage is you don't have as much blind spot as current cars and you can better predict what will happened.
>>
>>17799389
I leave in the area but I usually stay away from Paris intra-muros unless it's August.
>>
>>17799217
mate please dont buy something vintage just to lock it up and let it rot
>>
>>17799577
Why would I do that?
>>
>>17799283
How costly would it be to replace seals? Is it hard to do by yourself?

Any idea of the price range btw? Around me it seems to be around 20k € for a good condition V8.

Also, how is the automatic drive? As a european, I tend to hate those things with a passion but I only drive the modern ones.
>>
>>17800763
Tried.
I meant "I only tried the modern ones". I drive manual.
>>
>>17799217
>and use public transit to go to work

Busrider.
>>
>>17800822
Buses don't have such a bad stigma in Europe as public transport doesn't actually suck here.
>>
>>17800922
Exactly.
Traffic is a nightmare compared to trains, subway & buses in Paris.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.