[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to convert an OEM Turbocharged car to Natural

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4458.jpg (185KB, 1680x756px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4458.jpg
185KB, 1680x756px
Is it possible to convert an OEM Turbocharged car to Natural Aspirated or Supercharged? Apologies if this sounds retarded, but I've found little to no information on the matter and I'm genuinely curious.

inb4 "why?"
>>
>>17796031
I imagine if you were to remove all the turbo components (bov, wastegate, turbo etc.) and undo the oil line plumbing then you could. You'd probably have to modify the fuel lines too as they're usually larger/more numerous on a turbocharged engine.
>>
>remove turbo
>pipe-strap on K&N filter
Contratulations your car is now NA with open headers. Might want to weld in a piece of pipe if you want to not wake the neighbors.

You could also probably just take the turbine out of the turbo.
>>
>>17796045
Besides wanting to connect the oil lines or maybe just plug them up the rest of that just becomes useless but doesn't hurt anything.
>>
>>17796031
You'd have to re-tune and likely consider building the motor to run N/A (higher compression pistons) to make it worth your while.

Are you just seeking a linear power band? Modern turbos are designed to spool early on and reduce lag. The only real downside to turbo cars is you usually aren't as inclined to rev them out all the way, which is a pretty fun sensation.
>>
>>17796065
No my car is a modern turbo car, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to supercharge it. That would make up for the low compression ratio correct? Honestly the lag isn't that bad, and the N55 sound is decent, however I think a supercharged version would be very interesting.
>>
>>17796176
It boggles my mind how someone could consider flushing money away like this
>>
>>17796185
it boggles my mind how the government used tax dollars to go to the moon. it's just a rock in space.

like why even fucking comment
>>
Removing a turbo isn't worth it.
Eaton has blowers made specifically to work with turbos, and any competent shop could get you set up with one if you wanted to piss money away on something pointless.
>>
>>17796237
nigga i don't give a fuck about money i'm wondering if it could be done
>>
>>17796205
Except space travel is actually important if we want an ethnoplanet or to avoid a world ending rogue planetoid on a collision course with us.
>>
>>17796064
Yup, I guess it wouldn't be worth it to remove all the other stuff
>>
>>17796031
>Is it possible?
Yes.
>Is it worthwile to go n/a?
Nope. You need completely new internals for a shadow of the power you used to have.
>Is it worthwhile to PD supercharge?
Nope. Too much heat.
>Is it worthwhile to centrifugal supercharge?
Debatable. Not as efficient, but an improvement in throttle response and powerband. It's a whole load of work for no tangible gains at all.

>>17796176
>N55
Slap a big single on there, and enjoy 500whp. You are riding a rocket with the cork still in it.

If you want a pure driving BMW without turbos, buy an I6 Z3 and put a Rotrex on there.

>>17796205
>it's just a rock in space.
Throwing at rocket at said rock allowed for ICBM development and propaganda, critical in the Cold War.

>>17796237
>Twincharging
No. If you've ever seen non-factory twincharger setups, they're complicated, prone to breaking, and often have worse throttle response than a proper turbo setup.
>>
>>17796205
Look up how much shit was invented so we could get there. Lots of tech we use is thanks to the money dump dick comparison that was the apollo program.
>>
>>17796317
ok nerd

>>17796357
thank you for proper contribution
>>
>>17796176
You should compound charge it for shits and giggles if you're just wanting to experiment on it.
>>
>>17796476
Why? An N55 already has a twinscroll, I bet you that with some tuning you could mess with the VVT/injection/timing to improve throttle response significantly.

Hell, if you want to quickly spool a turbo, add a tiny wet shot of nitrous (25-50hp). It'll give you instant throttle response at the push of a button, and since nitrous heavily expands during combustion, it rapidly spools your turbo, too.
>>
>>17796031
The old diesels like the GM 6.2 come in both NA and Turbo, so I guess it can technically be done. the older the engine the easier. The new BMW twin turbo set ups are much more integrated and much harder to convert.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.