[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RX-8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1011.jpg (94KB, 772x514px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1011.jpg
94KB, 772x514px
How bad are RX-8's for modding?
Was thinking about getting one and turboing it cause they're cheap and plentiful where I live but I've heard conflicting stories.
Whats the skinny /o/?
>>
>dude imma turbo it despite doing fuckall research about even the stock Renesis
You will be the cause of another dead RX8.
>>
Get a 2009 and up RX8
that's it
>>
>>17778561
ever thought its cheap for a reason?
>>
>>17778561
If you mod it to put another engine in it, it would be worth it but other than that no, don't bother.
>>
File: 1493001025860.jpg (53KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493001025860.jpg
53KB, 480x360px
>>17778561
The Renesis isn't a bad engine. It is just that Mazda starved it for oil from the factory by having a shitty OMP.

It makes more power than the 13B-REW (if the 13b didn't have sequential turbos in the FD). It also revs higher, which is rather nice.

Premixing solves essentially all of your issues with reliability.

However, it seems that you don't know what you are doing, so stay away from the RX-8

Go buy an EK Civic and mod the shit out of that.
>>
>>17778734
>its not a bad engine, it just comes with critical flaws that result in catastrophic failure from the factory
>>
>>17778561
for you? not very good.

buy an fc
>>
>>17778561
>modding the renesis
Rebuild waiting to happen.
>>
>>17778734
It made less power in most models and the same horsepower as the FD in top trim, but with less torque, and less low end torque. Not more power.

The Rx8 chassis is amazing but the renesis isn't very tunable because of the side exhaust ports. They are severely limiting. Good for stock power but 300 whp is basically the max street able limit, whereas a REW is much higher than that
>>
If you look at the chassis it's great. Excellent set up with 8" wide wheels w/ grippy tires, coils, sway bars, bushings and such. But then you have one of the less desirable rotary engines for modding purposes. it is a car to set good track times, take around the canyons, and be a fun daily. Not for high power on the renesis engine

Chances are most of the ones you'll find now will be horribly taken care of, and need a rebuild or swap. The problem with the reliability memes are the guys who buy them with 100k+ on original engine and then it kills itself.
>>
>>17778739
>critical flaws
No, they did it to pass emissions, hence anyone who is not a complete moron premixes.
>>
>>17778785
>citation needed
>>
>>17778785
Ironically premixing is even cleaner burning for emissions purposes. But fuck normies.
>>
>>17778775
Gee, I wonder why

It's not like REW was turbocharged and the Renesis was NA

I'm not going to argue with you about its ability to be tuned, though.
>>
>>17778785
>cant pass emissions with sufficient oiling
>send it out the door with insufficient oiling
>result is pretty consistent engine failures under 75k miles
>not a flaw
im sorry, if your engine has a well-established reputation of failing, its probably a bad engine
>>17778787
i mean, 2 stroke engines have pretty poor emissions because they're required to burn oil as part of their operation
according to this guy its supposed to be thought of as requiring 2stroke oil to operate, which would lead one to ask why mazda though it was a good idea to sell a car when they couldnt include a critical piece of maintenance in the owners manual
>>
>>17778792
the entire reason you dont find 2 stroke engines in operation on the road is because they're devastatingly fucking bad for emissions compared to normal gasoline cars, so unless the renesis uses some magic combustion technology that allows it to produce cleaner emissions by burning oil, im gonna call bs on this
>>
File: 1498391360057.gif (1MB, 306x177px) Image search: [Google]
1498391360057.gif
1MB, 306x177px
>>17778816
>2-stroke engines have bad emissions because of pre-mixing and not because of their extremely wasteful design
Are you actually fucking retarded?
>>
>>17778795
No, literally if you turbo the Rx8, the side exhaust ports won't flow enough. Even with porting. There obviously is a reason for the design (emissions; no port overlap=passing modern standards) but in doing that, they limited the power capabilities.
>>17778816
Read the post. 2 stroke burns cleaner than engine oil injection which is the stock setup the Rx7 and Rx8 use.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.