[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

transmission overheating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 51534945.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
51534945.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
hello, /o/

I have a 2002 ford explorer and when i drive for more than 20min, my od light flashes and i get a "transmission overheated" warning.

i installed a auxiliary oil cooler and checked to see if the factory one was clogged and it wasn't.
after driving for 20min the od light started flashing and i got the same message.

how do i fix this?

ford explorer
4.0L v6

thanks guys
>>
Auto transmissions normally have filters. Those could be clogged too.

I assume that since you changed the cooler you checked the levels and the colour of the fluid too?
>>
>>17770295
yup, i replaced the fluid 2 weeks ago to see if that was the issue and it didn't do anything.

i touched the hoses and one is extremely hot but the other is cool to the touch so i am assuming that it's working.
>>
Check to see if you're parking brake is on.
>>
Sell it. Sell it now. I'm not fucking around here: dump it while you still can.
>>
>>17770335
no

>>17770346
it works fine until it overheats.
i saw that this car has a very bad reputation for trannies breaking but it has 200k miles and still works.

i'm hoping there is a fix that isn't replacing the thanny
>>
File: ExplorerEngine.jpg (57KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
ExplorerEngine.jpg
57KB, 575x431px
>>17770278
>he bought a turd gen exploder
>4.0 sohc

LMAO sell it and but a second gen 5.0 if your are dead set on exploders

those five speeds are utter shit third gens are not worth owning absolute trash cars
>>
>>17770359
>it works fine until it overheats
Which is exactly why you should sell it while you still can. I hate to be a fucking asshole like this, but most test drives are under 20 minutes. You'll be able to sell it for $2000-2500. Get that and be happy.

If you hold onto this thing, THE TRANSMISSION WILL FUCKING FAIL within the next couple months, if not sooner. At that point, it'll be worth $300 in scrap prices.
>>
>>17770388
shit, i need the car for a 200mi trip(each way) so i was hoping i could fix it but it looks like i'll have to rent a car.

it's an eddie bauer and in good condition so i'll sell it to some mexican and look into something else.

this suck because i got the car for $500(didn't start) and all it needed was a fuel pump but i guess it need a tranny as well.
>>
>>17770396
I swear to God, I'm not being a troll throwing memes here, but what I'm about to say is abso-fuckin-true. Sell the Exploder for $2500. Throw $500 with it and buy a $3000 POS Honda. For the kind of mileage you're going to be putting on your car, you need that reliability.

If you get a Honda that has an automatic transmission, just be sure to immediately change the transmission fluid. Use only Honda DW1 fluid, it'll take right at 3 quarts. Changing the ATF on a Honda is easier than changing the oil, even.

1000 miles later, change it again. 1000 miles later, change it again. That's how you do a Honda tranny flush. Afterwards, a Honda's transmission fluid should be changed every 30,000. Do that, keep up with your oil changes, change the timing belt every 100,000, and it will last 3-400,000 miles.
>>
>>17770517
i need a suv or small truck since i will be taking tools and materials that won't fit in a sedan.

i'll sell the explorer..
>>
>>17770573
Get a Ranger with either the 2.3 or 3.0 and a 5 speed. Even though they're pretty much the same vehicle as an Exploder underneath the skin, the Ranger is much more reliable than the Exploder, because they weigh so much less. Also the 2.3 never came in an Explorer that I know of. They're all but indestructible engines.
>>
File: 4564364356.jpg (182KB, 960x540px)
4564364356.jpg
182KB, 960x540px
>>17770634
After 2002 the explorer is built on a different more heavy duty frame. Rangers are nice though. Can verify though, the 5r55 in the explorers are a total POS. Mine is in good shape though, it had a shift kit and never saw a trailer. Pic related.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.