[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/TRACKGENERAL/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 15

File: mid ohio.jpg (147KB, 720x469px) Image search: [Google]
mid ohio.jpg
147KB, 720x469px
Lets see how this goes. Is /o/ patrician enough to keep a track thread alive?

>How do I track?
Join a club, most don't require you to own the particular brand of vehicle. (PCA requires a VIN)
https://www.bmwcca.org/
https://www.pca.org/
https://www.vette-club.org/
http://www.mustang.org/

>Beginner's guide
https://driver61.com/resources/track-day-guide/

>how much does it cost?
Not much. Tracks cost about $15,000 a day but the fee is split up between club members who go to the event. The average is probably $400 per weekend event.

>My car isn't fast
Everyone from Cadillac CTS-V to Miatas, civics, and station wagons, will show up to the track. If you havn't done it before having less than 250 horse power is ideal. Nobody will judge you anyway.

>what if I damage my car
Tracking is usually safer than high way driving due to the nature of the event attracting only skilled drivers. As for mechanical problems, you'll literally be surrounded by car enthusiasts who are happy to help, especially new and younger drivers. New drivers don't drive hard enough to really have to worry about tires or brakes.

>I don't actually know how to drive fast
When you sign up you will be asked to give an experience level. Most clubs have the most experienced drivers sit in the passenger seat of novice and intermediate drivers as 'instructors' to teach you. You'll be on the track with drivers of similiar skill so you won't feel like a faggot.

Share experiences or questions.
>>
File: porsche-boxster-986-4.jpg (406KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
porsche-boxster-986-4.jpg
406KB, 1600x1200px
Is it good on track or just a cruiser?

Took my DD 235i and had some issues, now I wondering if i should buy a cheaper track rat for beating up at the track and let my DD just do DD and fun public road driving.
>>
Tracks cost more than speeding tickets and the fee is a guarantee. Nothx.

I'm a bikefag anyways

>track: where is the one piece leather?
>road: sheriff, I can't pursue. 145 in a 30.
Death soon either way
>>
>>17769314
>Helicopter teleports above you
Nothin personal kid
>>
>>17769162
I'd love to go to a trackday, but problem is my mates don't want to, or aren't interested in trackdays, so i'd be by myself

idk if it would feel kinda awkward on my own
>>
>>17769346
Local PD doesn't use them.

Call me when the USA has something as affordable as das burgerring
>>
I'd rather hit the touge for FREE
>>
File: 1503167210061.jpg (48KB, 626x582px) Image search: [Google]
1503167210061.jpg
48KB, 626x582px
>>17769435
>hit the touge
>>
>>17769363
Most are very friendly. literally go up, tell them you like their car, how do they drive it on the track.

I can't get these people to stop texting me after a track event. Good cross section of age demographics too.
>>
>>17769314
bike fags use the same track as carfags dude.
>>
File: _DSC7363-Edit.jpg (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC7363-Edit.jpg
3MB, 1920x1080px
I've only been driving manual for about 2 months. Is it a stupid idea to take my daily to a track day? Pic related.
>>
>>17769608
Same track same price different rules

>yes enjoy your open top car just wear a 3/4 helmet
>where is the $2000 leather suit and ece2025 full face? Gtfo.
>>
File: Thunderhill East.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Thunderhill East.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm mostly a Thunderhill pleb because I'm cheap and NCRC car/moto days are only $120. I'm moving to Washington though and look forward to the trying the tracks up there.
>>
File: zzz.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
zzz.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>17769700
If you don't already have leathers then you are a straight line flyover fag and should stay in your containment thread. You can get a set of leathers for $500 from sportbiketrackgear.com closeouts. As for it being that expensive, you'd be wrong. I can do a complete track day including gas to tow my bike to the track, gas at the track, trackday fee, and food for $250 or $200 if I camp at the track. You're just a full of excuses poorfag like the majority of /o/
>>
>>17769667
Yes. Waste of time and money
>>
>>17769752
Actually I have two piece because I actually ride places instead of being a weekend warrior/touring grandpa. I would also need a new helmet because glasses = wear a modular everywhere.

The cost of entry is easily an additional two grand even if you cheap out, before going through an entire rear tire every two sessions.

>wearing used track leather
That's pretty disgusting.
>>
>>17769752
>gas at the track
Do some tracks make you buy fuel from them?
Some marinas make you if you launch/park your boat there
>>
>>17769942
No. I bring my own fuel and you can always go to an outside gas station at lunch. I should have put gas for the bike.
>>
>>17769667
No, you won't drive it hard enough to damage the car. The experienced drivers posting serious times have spare parts and possibly a trailer in case of an emergency.

As a noob PROBABLY wont have the skill to push the car to its limit. Even if you did you'ld be literally surrounded by mechanics and enthusiasts with parts who would be happy to help.

You'll learn more about driving in 30 minutes than a year on the high way.

Also, that car was made for the track. You'd be wasting your money not to do it.
Watch this first though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM&t=189s
>>
>>17769942
No, though the past few i've been too were selling at competitive prices anyway.

I use about half a tank in 2 hours for reference.
>>
File: 441.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
441.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
time attack in austin, e30 is mine. They do a 10 min practice session + 3 timed solo runs. so i've never done long than that.

I also autox which is fun but being there for most of the day in the heat sucks along with working.
>>
File: 658.jpg (816KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
658.jpg
816KB, 2048x1536px
>>17770311
in action getting chased down by a fast 86. did this last event with no power steering

I want to do an scca event that goes a bit longer but I think my car needs a bit more maintenance that I will be doing soon (e46 330i rack, power steering fix maybe), small oil leak, badly needs new rear bushings

I also took my ST a few times but E30 is more fun
>>
>>17770311
sexy car. One of the guys in the BMWCCA let me drive his. I understand what the hype is about.
>>
>>17770327
yeah easily one of the most fun cars I've driven
>>
>>17769162
>Share experiences
Okay.

>Buy new car, Subaru LGT
>Catch the car up on maintenance, start driving it hard around the local roads
>Start hitting what I consider my personal limits on public roadways, decided to drive down to Waterford for an open day
>Do a few laps to get to know the track and car
>First AWD car, Subaru guys give me some tips
>Tell myself I won't push the car as I drove it 3.5 hours to get here
>Few hours in end up pacing an S2000 pushing the Subaru for all it has
>Can't beat him in the straights, can't out brake him, all I can do is keep the car right at the limits in the corners
>Accelerating early coming out as the car seems to do okay this way, Subaru guys recommended it
>S2000 is breaking the track passing rules, proceeds to block me twice before he's out accelerated me
>Never could pass the S2000, track day is coming to an end
>Everything is going good, one of the drivers is hosting a cookout before we all pack up and leave
>Talk about our cars and future plans
>Talking to some of the Subaru guys to see what they'd recommend doing for the LGT as it wants to understeer
>NoHelpHere.jpg
>Get about halfway home and open it up on m33 through hilly curves
>Someone's seeing if I'm home near redline
>Fuck
>Limp it home over the next 50 miles
>As I near the house it starts wanting to die and the knocking is definitely audible at idle now
>Purchased JDM ECU + immobilizer & keys, AVCS harness for dual avcs
>Need to get the garage cleaned up so I can get the car torn apart for the ej2.0 swap
>Was quoted 2-3 hours Dyno time for tune once it's ready

Kind of want to turn the LGT into a track car. Found it more entertaining than my old Miata.

>>17769667
>Is it a stupid idea to take my daily to a track day
Yes and no. Good for finding limits.

>>17769314
This desu. You also have the enjoyment of building your own track linking public roadways.

>>17769363
>None of my friends will go as it's to far away and to hard on the vehicle
>>
So my mustang now has track ready suspension mods (I've put about $2400 into suspension/brakes), but I've never been to a track as much as I want to. I mostly blame that on the closest track being 3+ hours from me. I really want to though cuz I can feel that I'm not pushing my cars limits at all on public roads since I've gotten the mods done.
>>
>>17769162
Kind of don't want to take it for the wear to tires and brakes and any rock damage from all the other fucks on the track
>>
>>17769435
Hahaa kid enjoy your Initial D
>>
>>17770989
My fuel injector went out as I was pilling on to the track. Some guy volunteered to trailer me home 3.5 hours and let me drive his C6.
>>
>>17771111
What kind of mustang? I've seen tuned 200 hp cars keep up w 400 hp cars, you would have a good time.

>>17771209
I doubt a novice could eat up a pair of tires in a weekend
>>
Anyone v ever see a Tesla at a track?
>>
bump

Lime Rock Park
>>
>>17771937
It's a 2010 mustang GT. I'll put together a list of mods I've done, it's basically breather mods, tune, and suspension/brakes/tires.

I'm sure I would have fun, the issue is just going. The only tracks near me are drag strips, which is fun for the adrenaline, but I'd love to push my car to the limits if possible.

-Airaid CAI
-3 custom tunes saved on a handheld that I keep in the car(street, performance, and race)
-BBK long tube headers
-Borla X-pipe
-Borla Atak exhaust
-BMR Front Sway Bar Kit
-BMR Rear Sway Bar Kit
-BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod
-BMR Upper Panhard Rod Support
-BMR Control Arm Relocation Brackets
-GT500 Upper Strut Mounts
-BMR Weld-On Subframe Connectors
-BMR Strut Tower Brace
-BMR Adjustable Lower Control Arms
-BMR Upper Control Arm Mount
-BMRAdjustable Upper Control Arm
-BMR Lowering Springs - 1.5” Drop
>>
File: IMG_2234.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2234.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>17773046
Mines the red one. The others are my brother's and cousin's. I'm sorta jealous that they have coyotes and I have the 4.6.
>>
>>17769667
I feel like this is b8 bc of the video of the guy wrecking his blueSTI that was on here a while ago
>>
>>17772224
I have. He did about a lap and half before he had to pull in. Computer was apparently screaming bloody murder.
>>
Why are so many people afraid of going to the track alone? It's not like they're going to be in the car with you. You'd probably get more out of it not knowing anybody there since you'd focus on improving yourself and not racing your buddy.
>>
>>17773248
I agree. But most people are really friendly. Good way to make friends
>>
>>17773277
For sure everyone at the track has always been super helpful and open to chatting about setups, racing lines, etc.

Even lending tools and helping wrench. I had a guy donate a bmw throttle position sensor to me once and helped me put it on in the parking lot of a track once.
>>
>>17769728
Don't move Jetta!
>>
>Norcal
>Access to 4 tracks, 2 within 1.5 hours and 2 less than 4 hours away.
Goddamn it feels good to live in norcal :3
>>
>>17773144
lmao. why did he even bother to try it.
>>
Is it ok to take my 3ZZ-FE Toyota Corolla Wagon to a track?
>>
What are some sites to find local tracks? I know there aren't any within a few hours of me, I'd just like to find out how far I'd have to drive.
>>
>>17774073
God dammit, fuck Richmond Va!! Fuck it right in the ass
>>
What would make a better dedicated track day bike? A CBR 600RR or an R6? I'm looking at years from '03 to '07.
>>
File: 986-BSR-63-INDE.jpg (89KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
986-BSR-63-INDE.jpg
89KB, 1000x667px
>>17769192

>just a cruiser

you crazy? they're fantastic on track.
they even have their own spec racing bracket.

if i were getting specifically for track use i would get a NON S though. because they have shorter gears, and more hp/l than the S version.

and they share some more parts with vws than the non s
>>
>>17774321
It was a TNiA, so it was more bring what you have for some fun. He just wanted to see what it was like.
>>
>>17774368
At my last even there was a guy in a station wagon having fun.
>>
>>17774654
Thats what I was thinking good to know. Seems like an ideal track car to me. Cheap, mid engine, good handling, easy to make minor repairs and lots of people know Porsche and how to fix at track days.
>>
>>17769314
I was thinking this.
Trouble is in my state, 75mph over results in revocation of license for 12 months.
>>
File: 33_MyhreCreative_Turn2_03res.jpg (727KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
33_MyhreCreative_Turn2_03res.jpg
727KB, 1500x1000px
i try and track as often as I can. I go out to the ridge raceway up here in washington
>>
>>17773117
If you're talking about that video of the guy doing the touge and overtaking on double yellows and then understeering into a tree, wrecking his car. It wasn't blue.
>>
File: roadamerica.jpg (263KB, 1200x924px) Image search: [Google]
roadamerica.jpg
263KB, 1200x924px
love my track
>>
i live near Toronto and i remember searching that the most accessible (to novices) tracks that were actually hosting events were like 4 hours away west to the other lake or something.

im just going to buy an automatic lexus for my next car.
>>
>>17769346
> cant keep up chief
> he's going 150
>>
>>17769806
>wearing used track leather

just wear $40 underarmor shirt and pants underneath it, will help with cooling too

how do you go through a rear tire in a session unless you have a liter or it was already worn to shit
>>
File: 1497344371326.jpg (7KB, 224x215px) Image search: [Google]
1497344371326.jpg
7KB, 224x215px
>>17769435
have fun with your fwd sentra weeb
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7Zw7ddcec&t=45s

Was about 8 seconds slower than this guy
>>
what are some good tracks to go to around texas?

CoTA is like $1k a day or so from what I've found
>>
File: BRZ.jpg (646KB, 1280x782px) Image search: [Google]
BRZ.jpg
646KB, 1280x782px
This was actually pretty impressive at the track. Def flew past my expectations.
>>
File: 1503036567096.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1503036567096.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>17775310
>tfw hitting the touge in my fwd shitbox on eco tires with the tcs off

Also note there isnt a track within 15 hours of me besides a fucking drag strip
>>
>>17773046
Would be a shame not to track it anon. Find out what the car is really made to do.
>>
>>17770280
>Wrx made for track

Lol
>>
>>17778216
explain?
>>
>>17773046
>simple mods version mustang
>never tracked
honestly pretty surprised the amount of suspension/handling mods and you never went.
most of the time mustang guys go like 100% power do 1 autox then realize they can't turn
>>
>>17778226
Small brakes.
No lsd. Uses brakes to mimic one. Heat brakes up even more.
>>
>>17778065
>>17778235

I definitely would if i didn't have to take a road trip from Richmond to Alton. I would try for a open track day in the future but it'd have to be something where I find a hotel there and stay the night or something.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.