[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you guys install your own window tint? Was looking at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: TINTSHADES_zpse2731796.jpg (33KB, 700x267px) Image search: [Google]
TINTSHADES_zpse2731796.jpg
33KB, 700x267px
Any of you guys install your own window tint? Was looking at pre-cut kits on eBay for a 35% (legal limit here) and was curious if it's an easy job to do for a beginner. I mean it seems like I just need to keep the window wet and continuously keep it wet as I align the tint and then squeegee it down, and that's it? I would have a pro do it but they charge $200-250 around me which to me isn't worth it that much, since it's only 35%.
>>
Bump for curiosity.
>>
Go to a professional you cheap fuck, they will make a perfect work and use tools you don't have
>>
Throw $300 at a pro so you get a lifetime warranty and they'll fix any problems for free.
>>
>>17758527
Installer here.
I did the math once, I've installed almost half a million square feet.

Your biggest enemy will be dirt/dust. It takes very little to fuck up your tint.
It doesn't matter how many times you clean your glass, every time that soapy water gets between the glass and the rubber, it will pull out more. And since water will pull its osmosis shit, beginners usually loose the fight.
Best tip I can give is to do it inside a clean garage, no fans.
Have a friend help.
Pull the door panel off.
Have the glass slightly lowered so the upper edge is visible.
Keep fingers wet with the soapy water, yours and friends.
You hold the film, with adhesive facing glass, keep film taught- any slack and it will stick to itself-
friend pulls off the liner and instantly starts to spray soapy water on it as he pulls it off.
Stick on glass quickly, lined up as much as possible before it makes contact- every time you slip it around you have a chance of pulling in dirt from somewhere.
Good patterns will have the film slightly tucked into the rubber channel on the sides, that's a little tricky to get in to. You want to do it in one shot, if you go in too far and have to pull it out to line it up on the other side I guarantee it will pull dirt out with it.
Side glass is usually a simple curve, in order to function on the tracks.
Rear glass is compound and you'll need to shrink it 99% of the time with a heat gun to get it to lay flat. Not suggested for beginners.

Any questions and I'll try to clarify.

For the record
>5% on rear and quarters
>18% + factory on sunroof
>20% on doors
>30% on windshield (the whole thing, not a strip on the top).
>>
>>17758527
as someone who has done it, its worth the 100$ to pay someone
>>
>>17760747

>Rear glass is compound and you'll need to shrink it 99% of the time with a heat gun
I should have added unless its a truck, then shit is easy.

BTW OP, post what vehicle.
Some are pathetically simple to cut by hand and you can buy a $10 roll at vatozone to do the whole car.
>>
>>17758527
go to a pro unless you want it to look like shit and start bubbling
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.