[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gramps merc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: w124.jpg (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
w124.jpg
139KB, 1920x1080px
So I was thinking about a Mercedes w124 as a first car and a daily driver. I really like the looks of the car and I love how it feels on the road. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy a car that old for everyday use.

Does any of you own a w124? Should I go for it or not?
>>
>>17754182
Bought a w124 230e 5 speed manual 1 year ago for 1500 eurobucks. Buy it. It's awesome you will not regret it. Feels like a vault on a cloud. Did 15000km fine, she's young, 240 000km. Ask me anything.
>>
>>17754248
How about rust? I saw lots of ads under 2000 eurobucks that had rust around the wheel arches, door trim and around front and back lights. Can I still get one that has a decent bottom?

Road worthiness inspection for older cars is liberally bashing with a hammer and looking for rust holes where I live.
>>
>>17756574

Rust around the wheel arches is the most common. Around me 1 out of 10 have rust. Just pick one that doesn't have it and had it's fluids changed regulary.

Use this: https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/mercedes-benz/e-class-w124/?section=buying

What motor do you want? How many kilometers per year are you going to do? do you want a manual or automatic?

Take a diesel one if you do more than 15000km per year. Gas 6 cylinders eats a lot of fuel. I higly advice to take a automatic, the manual gearbox is reliable but is very akward.
>>
>>17754248
>230e

k-jetronic, would never touch it. You're a brave man.
>>
>>17757481
Well I can't decide what motor I want in terms of capacity. I'm looking at petrol ones, diesel is not an option due to a huge green tax on diesels.

Both transmissions are fine with me. Most likely an automatic cause manuals at not that common.

Not to sure how much I'm going to drive too. Probably just around town, maybe a few big trips per year.

Does the 200E have enough power? Should I look at something more powerful?
>>
Anything with a m117 but for a first daily driver, possibly too heavy on fuel
>>
Don't, I bought an old mercedes before. It's comfy but parts are expensive. Just for an oil change I have to spend $60 on oil. If you damage any of the body replacement parts are expensive. Lots of electrical issues. Can't find any parts at a junkyard. Just buy a fuckin corolla or civic it's your first car and you probably don't have much money to maintain it and are going to crash it anyway
>>
File: 1491065164830.jpg (902KB, 1300x1733px) Image search: [Google]
1491065164830.jpg
902KB, 1300x1733px
>they're DANGEROUSLY slow (with exception of 300E and up)
>sip a lot of fuel (even the 200E despite being a weak 100hp inline 4)
>around 3 decades old, need a lot of maintenance
>depending on where you live parts and maintenance may be expensive
>in any case maintenance adds up because old car
>low mileage ones are rare

Go for a fucking Civic if you're a driver noob and you don't have a lot of money.
Buying car that needs a ton of work will fuck up your whole view on cars when it is your first.
>>
>w124 as a first car and daily driver

Anon, just don't OK?

Taking care, maintaining, and in generally owning this car is not for begginers. Specially if you're low on cash.

Look for cheaper options that could offer a similar level of luxury you're looking for.

In your shoes, I wouldn't be looking for a luxury car as a starter, I would look for a reliable and cheap car because as a begginer-level driver, I would be doing a lot of mistakes in it.
>>
>>17754182
Anon my first car was a 1982 Merc 300D, W123 series and it was brilliant. Sure it was 0-60 in about a week, but fuck me if I didn't have the most ridiculously comfortable and reliable car of all my friends.

Be warned, you will end up giving a LOT of lifts in a Merc, everybody wants to get lifts to/from parties and friends houses. Not that I ever complained, I loved driving that fucking boat.
>>
>>17757715
You charged them, right?

No fucking way I'm hauling someone around for free unless we are going to the same place, gas is expensive.
>>
File: 1407520883877.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1407520883877.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>>17757715
>anon is daydreaming again about friends and people that even get closer than 10ft to his poverty benz

precious
>>
My first car was a 1986 300E. I wouldn't do it. Contrary to what people say, the parts weren't that expensive, but there were SO MANY OF THEM. Keep in mind these were top-shelf luxury cars when they were new. Everything is complicated as fuck. Not to mention 30 years old at this point. Enjoy spending the rest of your life replacing HVAC modulators, seat motors, engine seals and sensors, and stuff like that.

All kinds of small parts were leaking and breaking on mine. The engine computer controls on the gas models are also outdated garbage that's hard to work with. The final straw for me was when the sunroof broke open and after I'd ripped out the interior to remove it I discovered so many broken parts it wasn't even worth fixing the car.

Don't get me wrong, these are great cars when they're properly sorted out. I'd love to own one that had been religiously maintained by the previous owner. As a far car, though, don't get a luxury car or don't get one from the 1980s.
>>
>>17754182
get a civic for 3k. no one deserves a nice first car because they're going to crash it or it'll get dinged up in your school parking lot.
>>
>>17757732
yeah sometimes, never asked for it though. 10 bucks here and there always helps.

>>17757742
>1982 Merc was 38k roughly
>90k in today monies
>giant, spring leather seats
>airbag electric wondows
>poverty benz
whut anon?
Seriously though, I can't express how fucking nice it was having a car like that at parties. Parked it on a friends property a few times and got shitfaced, then walked back to his place and slept in the back in summer with the windows down. Besides, when you're 19 you might as well be driving a fucking Rolls Royce compared to the cars your friends have probably got.
>>
File: DD 93 220E.jpg (1MB, 2074x1383px) Image search: [Google]
DD 93 220E.jpg
1MB, 2074x1383px
OP, theyre pretty solid. I have a '93 220E that I love owning.
Its a bit slow compared to new cars, but still does 0-60 in under 10, and ive had it over 140mph for fun.
be careful of rust like other anon said, and be prepared for non-drivetrain issues, but otherwise theyre a laugh.
>>
>>17754182
I had a '89 300E (W124) as a first car. Such a majestic car for a teen to have at the time, but then my mom lost it in a divorce from my asshole ex-stepdad.

So then I bought an '89 300CE (C124) and drove it my first two years of college before it gave out. There were lots of little problems with electrical crap, and tons of vacuum lines/hoses just disintegrating; it was more work than I was able or willing to do at the time, so I just parked it in my mom's driveway for a couple years.

People made constant offers but I couldn't let it go for nothing, but then I got tired of looking at it, so I gave it to my uncle. He plans on LS1 swapping it no lie.

Both cars had lots of rust underneath btw, but both cars were Florida cars. Still, these cars are just old at this point. They're gonna require above and beyond maintenance to keep them roadworthy.
>>
>>17758479
And yes, if anyone is wondering, the staggered wheels are on backwards here. A shop in Raleigh NC was run by complete morons.
>>
>>17757523
I troubleshot a k jetronic on my CE with M140, quite possibly the worst of all jetronic systems, and it wasn't that bad.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.