[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Second-hand car advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: mazda6_large.jpg (114KB, 700x488px) Image search: [Google]
mazda6_large.jpg
114KB, 700x488px
Got a 2500-3000 euro budget, Eastern Europe.
Been doing some research, looking for the following things:
Decent fuel economy in city (under 10-11l/100km)
Over 90 HP
Newer than 2000

Got a few options, but I haven't made a choice yet.
2004 BMW E46 320d/330d
2002 Ford Focus ST170
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon
2006 Mazda 6 Sport
2004 Volvo V50
2004 Audi A4 Avant
2003 VW Passat

Also considering a Miata NB, but I don't know if it's actually worth it. Don't know any other sports cars I can find in this price range.

Anything good on my list? Or am I missing a better choice?
>>
>>17748561
5 Twingos
>>
>>17748656
this. not even shitting.
>>
Twingo is on my list if I don't go through with a more expensive car, I found one for 400 euros recently. That, or a Lupo with the 105HP engine if I can get it cheap.
>>
>>17748561
9-5 is GOAT
>>
>Don't know any other sports cars I can find in this price range.
You can easily find a Celica or a Hyundai Coupe for the price.
>>
I'd stay away from VW group cars, especially diesels, unless you own garage because it will get stolen otherwise.
>>
If you're going to buy a VAG shitbox buy something small that isn't likely to have done half a million kms before having the odo reset to 100kkm. And a Seat or Skoda rather than a VW or Audi.
>>
>>17748561
BMW E46 Diesels had quite some problems, turbos failed, swirl flaps got into the engine and ruined it, the auto on the 330d breaks due to the engine being stronger than the transmission.

But do not by an automatic anyways, manual is fun.

Alfas have reliability issues in almost any parts of them, avoid older Alfas.

Madzdas often rust from underneath, check that. Also interior looks cheap, its just ugly plastic shit.

Audi A4 Avant will feel quite better than a Passat, if you find a decent A4, go for that. It's just the design and everything that makes you feel superior to the Passat somehow. If you want a fun one, get a 1.8T. They don't need that much fuel but got quite some kick due to beeing turbocharged. 1.9 TDIs are ok fun too, but dunno, Diesels are nothing for me. They are not as fuel saving as you might think though.

Dunno anything about a V50 or the ST170, sorry.

V50 is probably smaller than you think (trunk size wise), same goes with the A4 Avant.

The Focus doesnt appeal to me at all, interior also. And yeah, Ford is not really known for being reliable.

To me the NB looks kinda gay and a NA is the true MX5, but I guess thats quite some kiddo shit.

Sorry for my subjective shit in bad english, just get what car you like the most. Test drive them all and decide by yourself.

Had an E36 before, now driving a 2006 V70, so yeah, can't give you a lot of advice on your demands. Would suggest a V70, but the newer ones are kinda expensive (at least here in germany)..and they all consume a lot of fuel.

I hope that helps you in some way or not. I guess.

A real human bean.
>>
>>17749428
>Germ
>promotes vagshit

figures
>>
>>17749458
>>17749458
desu I would get the Volvo or the Miata.
But k.

I said the bimmer diesels are unreliable, the vags diesels consume more fuel than assumed (also they are boring as fuck) and I didnt tell anybody to buy a rusty Benz.

German cars here are reliable and cheap to fix (due to parts beeing everywhere here), but look boring as fuck. And a lot of amerifags seem to have problems with them, so I dont know - reliability of usa models seems to be kinda shit .
>>
>>17749168
I actually had the 2006 1.9 Saab 9-3 on my list, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to maintain it here since they are so rare. But I may consider it.

>>17749198
Thanks, I hadn't considered those.

>>17749207
Really? I hadn't thought about that. I don't have room in the garage for another car. Not sure what to think now.

>>17749223
Ok, thanks.

>>17749428
Dude, thanks for taking the time to look at each car, I appreciate it a lot.
I planned on getting manual anyway, no doubt about that.
I heard about the Alfa issues, but I sort of liked the looks. May drop it at this point.
Mazdas are rare here, I may avoid them just because of the rare parts as well.
The Ford looked interesting because of the engine, but I don't want to have a lot of repairs to do if it fails.
A4 Avant looks more tempting now, dropping the Passat option.
I am also curious about the Volvo, they aren't very common here, but if I can get a V70 it would be nice.
I still have the E46 in mind, but to be honest, the thing I hate is that they have a bad reputation and they are really common; I always thought I'd get something that stands out in a subtle way.

>>17749458
It's gonna be easier to service something from that group because they are common.

>>17749493
Volvo sounds like a good choice, thanks for the opinion. I don't know about the Miata, I've heard so many different opinions that I am confused. Problems with the soft-top, rust, no A/C, plus hard to find parts here for it (which are overpriced anyway).

At this point, I'd say I have the following options:
Audi A4 Avant
BMW E46 320d
Volvo V50/V70
Maybe a sports coupe (Miata NA/NB, Celica, Hyundai)
Saab 9-3/9-5
>>
File: FNUEJM2HW4ONL10.MEDIUM[1].jpg (35KB, 488x620px) Image search: [Google]
FNUEJM2HW4ONL10.MEDIUM[1].jpg
35KB, 488x620px
>>17749428
>turbos failed
True. I did mine on 250k km
>swirl flaps got into the engine and ruined it
True, but you can buy blanks for fixing it or by buying more manly looking pre lift model.
>>
>>17751686
How hard would it be to replace those myself?
>>
>>17752447
Not hard. You take ~20 screws on Intake manifold, remove swirl flaps and install blanks. Maybe 2h of work if you don't know what are you doing. It's also a good time to replace Intake manifold orings, and clean it with extraction benzine or some other chemicals.

I never done this. I have 320d prelift which don't have this shit and it's not on common rail. lift models are common rail, with more power (from 136 to 150km).
>>
>>17748561
Volvo v50's are good cars. A friend of mine has one and hauls a shit load of stuff. I would recommend going for the 2.4 seeing as that's a great Volvo made 5cyl which with 170 horsepower will bring you some fun but they are not very fuel-efficient.
>>
>>17752886
Ok, thanks. Sounds like I could handle it.

>>17753047
I see that engine does around 12.5l/100km in the city, but compared to 10-11 on the other models it's not really a big difference in gas. I'll have a look at that model if I get the chance.
>>
>>17752447
>>17752886
Swirl flaps are the smaller problem, if your turbo goes boom it will be a lot more expensive. You can change it by you own, but turbos arent cheap.

>>17753047
>>17753401
2.4/2.5 Volvo Engines are built to last forever. You can't do anything wrong with them, but yeah, in city it sucks your wallet dry.

Driving a Volvo 2435cm3 by myself I got like 8.8L/100km, but I'm driving on freeways and highways mostly. And it's the weaker version (140ps), though the engine seems to be almost the same with the online difference beeing the software. Gonna try out the BSR Software next month, then I will see how much the fuel consumptionen rises though ^^
>>
just get an e46 senpai
>>
>>17753749
I guess any turbo engine has the risk of that part failing, right?

I take fuel economy into account for city driving because I'm going to spend most of the time driving there. However, I did some math and it turns out that I won't be saving much in fuel because I don't plan to drive more than 2000-3000km a year.
How are the Volvo 2.0 engines in terms of reliability? Just as good? Are the diesel models on the V50 alright?

>>17753837
That was my initial pick, I really like how it looks. But I just feel that they are common here, they have a bad reputation (fuccboi car), and are slightly overpriced. I'm still debating it though.
>>
>>17753907
Remember E46 are not cheap to maintain, this is not twingo. 2.0l Diesel consumes around 9l in city with traffic, 5-6 on Highway.
Where do you live?
>>
>>17753907
Indeed, could happen to any turbo engine.

2.0 are fine as well, maybe not build like a tank, but like a small troop carrier. The "modern" diesels though I know nothing about. Had some buddy driving one, he was quite happy with it.
But keep in mind, the V50 is way smaller inside than it looks to the outside.

E46 isn't a giant also, but if your are in germany or in a neighbouring country, parts are dirt cheap. And yeah, total fuccboi car, but desu you shouldnt give a shit about what others think of your car as long as it fits to you and you like it.
>>
>>17753964
I live in Romania. I checked prices for some parts, and they are not far off from VW, Skoda, Seat, etc., at least for consumables (filters, brakes, sensors).
9.0 is not too bad in my opinion, since I don't cover very large distances (maybe 5-10km a day at most).
Would you suggest any other car? Is Volvo the better long term choice?
I am still considering a coupe as well, but those aren't as practical.
>>
OP, why haven`t you considered Opel?
>>
>>17754009
I don't really need a lot of space, to be honest I could get by with a Twingo or any shitbox. However, this is my first car; I'd like something nice, something I can have fun with and enjoy driving, not just for transport.
I based my picks based on price, and I noticed that wagons tend to be cheaper than the sedan models.

I don't usually give a shit about what others say; I guess I wanted to stand out from all the other imported BMWs we have here. I'm not ruling it out, the E46 looks great.

>>17754027
What models? I've never considered Opel to be quality; I may be wrong.
>>
>>17754014
>Is Volvo the better long term choice?
Dunno, I'm not that anon. I also had no experience with volvo. My friend and mechanic said, that electricity in volvos are pure garbage.

I'm doing 20km per day to work in big city. I would not recommend a diesel engine for small drive in the city. Dunno what would I recommend you. Definitely not a 3rd gen Polo. It rust from the bottom really quick. Passats are probably 500k km in REAL mileage.
>>17754045
maybe astra after '00
Twingo would not be bad seriously. Parts are 3x cheaper than e46 in Poland.

Also What about your local Dacia? My stepfather got new Duster and it's shit and fucking slow, would not recommend desu
>>
File: 30244.jpg (166KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
30244.jpg
166KB, 1600x1200px
OP has 3000€ and want to buy:
BMW, Alfa, Volvo, AUDI, VW...
Just accept your poorness and buy a mk2 swift, and enjoy cheap parts, nice km/l, and a bulletproof engine.
>>
>>17754070
To be serious, the best car from his list would be mk 1 or 2 Focus.
>>
>>17754083
This is the only right answer
>>
>>17754065
I considered some smaller cars, Golf, Polo, but I don't trust the build quality, especially after all these years.
If I buy any car, I would like to have the history so I don't buy something with half a million km. I'd rather go for a 200-250k km that I know are real.
I don't really like the Astra, it looks so boring, I might as well get a Twingo or Lupo if I go that route.
I don't like Dacia at all; that's what I have currently been driving. A really lazy 1.2 from 2013; it's not bad in the city, but it lacks outside a lot. Doesn't look ugly, but I want something more fun for my first car.

>>17754070
Swift would be a safe choice, but I feel it's just a small econobox,
I'm just trying to make do with what I have and get something I like.

>>17754083
To be fair, yeah, that or a Fiesta Mk 6 would be alright, but I was hoping to get something more.

>>17754127
Why?
>>
>>17754133
Well, there is also an MK3 Mondeo.
>>
>>17754148

And Vectra C
>>
>>17754133
>build quality
that's a bit of a meme. after all these years even the best build quality doesn't matter as much as the condition the car is in and how it was handled.

a bmw at that price is going to cost multiple times that over next few years in repairs, while an opel corsa that has been standing in a garage and only been taken to shopping by grandma might be a great value.
>>
>>17754148
That doesn't look too bad, but why would I pick that over a BMW E46/Volvo V50/Audi A4?

>>17754167
Hadn't considered that, but I don't like the look as much as the other options. Why would it be a better choice?

>>17754173
Point taken. I agree with you, it's a risk regardless. I want to see what I can buy that I like for this price and have few problems with it.
I have money left to maintain it, that's why I am limiting my budget to 3000, I could go higher but then I would risk running out of funds later on.
If I wanted to get bare minimum just for transport, I'd go for any 1.2 diesel and call it a day.

It may look like a person without much money trying to buy something that wasn't meant for him, which is mostly true, but I'm trying to get the most from what I can afford now.
>>
>>17754213
Dunno how parts market looks in Romania, but they're probably 20% cheaper than other, more 'premium' manufacturers.
It's not a bad car by any means, ST variant is pretty cool. I'm not the biggest fan of interior in this model tho
>>
>>17754263
Definitely, all the parts are cheaper, but worse quality than in Germany. The ST looks fun too, no doubt. Sort of like a sleeper, since I don't think many here know it has 170HP.

I should try to narrow down what type of car I want; wagon, hatchback, coupe; since at the moment, I have a lot of choices and no strong feeling towards any.

Wagon looks a bit more practical, and I've always liked the look of them; the coupes are a lot more sporty and I would like something fun (but they aren't very good for the city), and the hatchbacks are sort of like a middle ground I guess.
>>
>>17754292

European Fords are literally German cars though and so are Opels
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.