[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is superior?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1502675316653.jpg (26KB, 650x326px) Image search: [Google]
1502675316653.jpg
26KB, 650x326px
Which is superior?
>>
File: 1481063536606.png (910B, 135x90px) Image search: [Google]
1481063536606.png
910B, 135x90px
>>17748006
First is Torx, or jew-bolt, then allen, but never in anything ferric

Pic related, torq-set
>>
The fuck is that
>>
File: 1494878788778.png (142KB, 434x434px) Image search: [Google]
1494878788778.png
142KB, 434x434px
>spanner head
>>
>>17748006
Allen. I've only ever had an issue when I don't have the right size.
>>
Square > Hex > Robertson > Allen > Torx

Philips is pure shit tier, because it was actually designed to cam out. That's right, every single time you strip a philips head screw, that's a feature, not a bug. Look that up if you don't believe me.
>>
>>17748052
That means you're over torquing it
>>
File: 1295828752725.png (6KB, 332x486px) Image search: [Google]
1295828752725.png
6KB, 332x486px
>>17748006
>>
>>17748055
No, they were designed for mass production and camming out is intentional to limit assembly torque. Anon is correct.

JIS is similar but superior to Phillips and Reed and Prince.
>>
>>17748046
Allens are ok up until the manufacturer chooses to use soft or low quality metal for the screw, in which case you have to make it into a flat head to get it out.
>>
torx
>>
>>17748006
I liked Robertson (square) when I used them in a cabinetmaking class. Rarely do you see them.
>>
File: sonderschrauben.png (199KB, 800x3400px) Image search: [Google]
sonderschrauben.png
199KB, 800x3400px
>>
Is JIS pitch the same and metric fine?
>>
>>17748428

Oh man got to love that German quality humor!
>>
>>17748371
Still doesn't change the fact that you're over torquing it
>>
As someone who has been both a factory worker and a construction worker, pozidrive is best if time is important, torx is best if it isn't. Pair pozidrive with a good torque screwdriver and you can make 1200 parts a day easy.
>>
>>17748428
Tbh a couple of these would be really useful
>>
>>17748384
Those people deserve to be shot.
>>
I guess I'm in the minority but i fucking hate torx. Especially when the fastener has really shallow engagement depth, which seems to be often with torx for some reason. The small sized bits seem to strip if you look at them funny.
>>
>>17749732
With Torx, you MUST use the correct bit size. If you're off, they'll fuck up each and every single time.

For example, if it's calling for a T27, use a goddamned T27. A T25 will actually turn the thing, and you might even think it fits perfectly, however, as soon as it comes time to torque the bolt, by using the T25, you just stripped it out and fucked it up.
>>
>>17749732
>>17749905

No he's right, even if you have the correct size if the depth is shallow you will strip the head. Every fucking time. Torx only works with deep heads but for some reason manufacturers like to jew out and use cheap soft metal with shallow holes.
>>
And talking about depth: for some reason a lot of belt tensioners and idler pulleys use Torx fasteners.
>CLEAN OUT THE FUCKING DIRT
This is imperative. Use a pic, get the mud and other shit out of there, then wash it. Before you put the socket to it, make sure those fasteners are pristine. Sure, it take a couple extra minutes, but trust me: you don't want those bolts to strip.
>>
One way. Why would you need to undo your fasteners? Fasteners are for fastening things. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR FASTENINGS THEN YOU SHOULDN'T FASTEN THINGS AT ALL.
>>
>>17749905
Well thats another issue i have with them. Maybe because its not very common and so i dont see them super often, but its hard to tell what size they are too. Like you said, a T25 might SEEM like the right size, up until you strip out the hole.

It goes along with the shallow depth of most torx fasteners ive seen. They dont engage fully like they're meant to with that shallow depth.
>>
>>17748052
>>17748371
"The design is often criticized for its tendency tocam outat lower torque levels than other "cross head" designs. There has long been a popular belief that this was actually adeliberatefeature of the design, for the purpose of assembling aluminum aircraft without overtightening the fasteners.Evidence is lacking for this specific narrative and the feature is not mentioned in the original patents.However, a 1949 refinement to the original design described in US Patent #2,474,994describes this feature."
Sources on Wikipedia.
>>
Allen and hex are the best nothing can fix if they use cheese instead if metal
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.