[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>How hard is it to change an alternator?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: r_590222_3Ft8m.jpg (28KB, 540x488px) Image search: [Google]
r_590222_3Ft8m.jpg
28KB, 540x488px
>How hard is it to change an alternator?
>>
>>17746215
Depends on the car.
On a Subaru, you remove 2 bolts, remove the belt, put 2 bolts in and put the belt in.
That goes for a lot of longitudinally placed engines. But fuck transverse engines. It's the same process with them, but the space to work in is so tight.
>>
File: 1322531108494.png (265KB, 334x393px) Image search: [Google]
1322531108494.png
265KB, 334x393px
depends on its location really, do you have an engine bay picture?

>ifunny
>>
File: images.jpg (16KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 255x197px
>>17746233
>>
before changing your alternator make sure ita not wiring problems.
>>
>>17746237
easy

>disconnect battery
>remove drive belt
>disconnect wires from back of alt (take a photo so you remember where they go)
>unbolt alternator
>>
>>17746215
If you have certain BMW's you'll probably need to drain the radiator before pulling it.

>Water Cooled alternators.
>>
>>17746242
>>disconnect wires from back of alt (take a photo so you remember where they go)
Aren't they standard plugs?
Asking, not mocking or some shit.
>>
>ifunny
Just couldn't find a dank frog meme on 4chan huh?
>>
>>17746215
>>How hard is it to change an alternator?
Like they said it depends on car.
My 90 Benz is pretty easy to get to just a couple bolts wires and the belt.

My 05 Focus you have to undo the belt, undo the wiring, unbolt the alternator, unbolt one of the engine mounts, rock the engine forward about 2 inches with a jack then it barely squeezes out the bottom. Also the space to work on it is miserable and is better with 2 people so one can attack the top and one on the bottom. Make sure you dont let the alt fall down too hard though, your exhaust and O2 sensor is right the fuck there too and are basically asking to be smashed by a falling alt.
>>
>>17746250

Normally, yes. Most modern cars just have one plug that plugs on.

On old cars, occasionally you'll just have two wires that bolt on under some nuts. It's possible to accidentally reverse them if you try hard enough.
>>
Good shit

Changed alternator in auto parts parking lot. People were looking but got the car running..

Changing alternator took maybe 30 minutes. Hardest part was taking the old one completely out while it was fucking hot and burning my hands.....
>>
>>17748580
Jesus christ man, just get some food and let it chill. A borked alternator should get you out of any appointments you had so why not take the time to not fuck up your hands?
While it's still hot it's even harder to get out, since it has thermally expanded.
>>
File: 1503216725437.jpg (178KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
1503216725437.jpg
178KB, 804x743px
>>17748600
>>
>tfw can't tell when people are seriously talking about a turbo and not an alternator
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.