[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick question for the mechanically-inclined folks. Car shat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Vid 20170816 200750-1.webm (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Vid 20170816 200750-1.webm
2MB, 480x270px
Quick question for the mechanically-inclined folks. Car shat all its oil when I came back from work, how dead is it? It's a 2009 Cobalt.
>>
As long as you didnt drive it with no oil in the engine it should be OK. Even if you did, its not guaranteed to be fucked.

Did you get a oil change recently?
>>
Was it running when you ran it dry?
>>
File: empty pan.jpg (207KB, 1869x1033px) Image search: [Google]
empty pan.jpg
207KB, 1869x1033px
>>17731372
>>17731372
I don't think it was empty when it was running, seeing all the oil on the ground.

My last oil change was when I put my summer tires in May-ish.

I went to a long mountain gravel road at like 50km/h last Sunday, that could be a factor.
>>
>>17731369
You'll need a new oilpan or a tube of JB Weld
>>
Also, the car was shaking slightly for a brief moments (not all the time) when it was stopped and it had a pierced muffled kind of noise.
>>
>>17731397
muffler*

I'm gonna get it towed to a garage tomorrow in all cases.
>>
File: 1493402520845.png (246KB, 356x364px) Image search: [Google]
1493402520845.png
246KB, 356x364px
>>17731397
That's not good. Sounds like low oil pressure.
>>
>>17731397
>the car was shaking slightly for a brief moments
While cruising or braking?
>>
>>17731402
While stopped, at a red light for example.
>>
>>17731389
Do you recall hitting any larger rocks or bottoming?
>>
>>17731421
Once or twice the shit suspension bottomed out, but no scratching I think. I've also been using it for 3 days since then.
>>
Anyway, thanks yall, I thought it was going to be more grim that that.
>>
>>17731454
What could be more grim than engine possibly fucked?
>>
>>17731490
That's not the message I was getting from this thread. I didn't drive it with empty oil and the damage seems only on the oil pan. Low oil pressure, not sure about that, but a quick Google seems like it's a fixable issue.
>>
>>17731397
>shaking
>a pierced muffled kind of noise
>massive gash in oil pan
It might be cheaper to throw in a junkyard motor.
>>
>>17731601
It was running fine apart from slight shaking and noise. Revving, shifting properly and stuff.
>>
>>17731666
Meh I had my transmission pan speared on my cobalt one time, did the same thing. Literally glued a patch to the hole refilled it with fluid and limped it to my mechanic for a new pan, seal and engine mount. Ran fine for another 50k till I sold it, GM may have shit the bed on some aspects of the cobalt, but the drivetrain is reliable, and can take some abuse.
>>
jusat fix the hole and top the oil.

The ecucktec is literally unkillable.
>>
>>17731431
Budget oil pans can be really thin, and you'd be surprised how little it can take to shrek one.

Either find a friend with a welder, patch it with epoxy (Autozone sells some good shit that comes in a giant crayon).

Fix it and buy a skid plate.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.