[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil Changes & Servicing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 167984.jpg (19KB, 637x403px) Image search: [Google]
167984.jpg
19KB, 637x403px
Hi there /o/

Just finished a full service for my car going on 100K,

Whens the last time you changed the oil / serviced your car and how often?

Which oil do you use?
>>
File: synpower.jpg (30KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
synpower.jpg
30KB, 370x370px
118.000 km , now at 122.000
keeping a 10 k interval so duieat 128.000

10w40 Valvoline Synpower (€25 for 5L , least addititve riddled I could get my hands on)

D16Z6 SOHC Civic from '97

Never owned such an 'old' car. 10k (km) a good interval to keep.
>>
File: GTX.jpg (98KB, 500x500px)
GTX.jpg
98KB, 500x500px
>>17728256

10k with good oil will be fine, that's only around 7kish miles, most synthetics will get to 10K miles now easily.

I use semi-synthetic in the daily driver and change at every 5K miles

Air & pollen filters at every 10K

Brake fluid every 20K or 2 years, coolant every 3 or 40K. PSF about the same time.

Currently using Castrol GTX, but normally guy whatever is cheap.
>>
File: 1499568587183.jpg (40KB, 749x537px)
1499568587183.jpg
40KB, 749x537px
>change the oil in my sister's bmw
>the old oil is fucking black and the seal is wasted
>learn she hasn't changed the oil on it since she got it

Every day, I find another reason to be shocked this thing still runs.
>>
about 400 miles ago. Mobil 1 syn 5w-40 and a wix filter. did plugs too.

I did it at a friend's house and the retard forgot to put the cap on the drain pan so when it rained a bunch later it flooded out and shit a bunch of my used oil all over his driveway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
Every 4000km with whatever full synthetic oil is on sale. I drive a rotary.
>>
A month ago.

Mobil 1
>>
I only use Mahle, Mann, or Wix XP filters, and use whatever high mileage full synthetic is on sale. It's usually either Mobil 1 gold cap or Pennzoil Ultra.
>>
>>17728239
My boss never changes his oil, he claims there is no reason to change the oil unless you overheat the car, he just adds more if he gets low. I attempted to tell him that idea is insane but he is convinced otherwise
>>
File: protossdecected.gif (2MB, 260x198px)
protossdecected.gif
2MB, 260x198px
Changing mine this Thursday in my 6.2 F150, using Amsoil. Best oil you'll find anywhere.
>>
>>17728239

2 newer vehicles i just use Mobil 1 when its on sale at Walmart or Canadian tire for $30, my old Toyota Supra and Subaru Sambar i just pick up that big ass 20L bulk tub of cheap oil from Walmart for $45 and use that
>>
>>17728646
A mechanic told me you're supposed to run conventional in rotaries.
>>
Change nearly monthly since I'm putting down ~5000 miles a month. So I mix it up between Mobil 1 high mileage and extended perfomance depending on budget. This winter I might run castrol magnatec to see if "intelligent molecules" are a meme or not.
>>
>>17728646
>>17729151
That is true, most synthetics have flame retardants in them that keep them from burning as easily as conventional oil. The oil that the OMP injects to lubricate the apex seals has to go somewhere, so if it won't burn it builds up around the spark plugs and fouls them, leaves a residue along the chromed housing and makes the apex seals stick, and exits the exhaust ports and damages the catalytic converter. Because of this, Mazda officially recommends conventional oil for its rotaries. There is Idemitsu racing rotary engine oil that is full synthetic, and it's safe to use because they specially formulated it for rotaries so it burns properly.

The other exception is if you have a Sohn adapter that draws 2 stroke oil from a separate reservoir into the OMP instead of drawing oil from the pan. That way the synthetic oil never has a chance to get in the combustion chamber to not burn.
>>
>>17728239
>Whens the last time you changed the oil
About a month ago

>how often?
10k km intervals
>>
File: OIL.png (147KB, 450x450px)
OIL.png
147KB, 450x450px
>Last time
One week ago
>how often?
Half year intervals. I don't drive enough miles
Using Valvoline Max life synthetic blend & Mobil 1 m1 filter
>>
any opinion on Repsol oils?

I have it in my bike, changed it two months ago, but have been riding like crazy since, so gonna change it in a week again, since it is pretty damn black at this point
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.