[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I bent my frame

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1502835761761.jpg (80KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
1502835761761.jpg
80KB, 1152x768px
about how much will this cost to fix?
>>
>>17727120

$5K
>>
>>17727120
It's totalled
>>
>>17727121
>>17727123
wtf, this is unfortunate...
>>
More than you can afford, pal. BMW
>>
>>17727129
prob about 200 for them to put it on the frame machine then 100-250 an hour and it can take up to 20 hours on a frame machine if they just check it for you your prob out 300-500 without any pulling
>>
>>17727129
>>17728691
oh and how tf did your dumbass bend your shit
>>
>>17727120
how much you got?
also knowing what kind of car would help
in general you're pretty much fucked though, frame straightening is becoming rare and costs a lot so bend frames are usually just totaled by insurance companies
>>
>>17728705
every good shop has a frame machine but its always in high demand so frame machine time is COSTLY
>>
>>17728698
Is pretty curious about this too. It takes a bit to bend up the frame. And >>17728705
Is right too.
>>
>>17727120
>I bent my frame
I work for a vendor that sells estimating software to shops and insurance companies. I can get you an estimate but I need more info. What kind of car is it? What else was damaged? If your car is older I can almost guarantee you it's totaled.
>>
I had pretty severely bent frame on my old Sentra after a low speed front end collision. After a mechanic checked it out and said it was bent in 4 or 5 separate places, insurance totalled it. Would've been almost $7000 to get repaired, and then there was the cost of a new bumper, hood, radiator.
>>
>>17727120
>I think I bent my frame
Unibody frames are difficult because the old days method of putting it on the rack and forcibly bending the frame back to true are gone. But with the way unibody is done now, a lot of welding has to be done. Some cars that are put together with adhesives (such as Tesla) become totaled, so you see a $58,000 to $68,000 fee for those Tesla cases.

In the old days, frames and unibody frames were made differently and thus some bending was allowed as long as the exterior frame portions and mounting spots were correct. But you are in a paradox here because that older car has such a low value that the cost of repairs will cause insurance to total it. Some shops are willing to repair it for less because they want that job to keep all floor and rack space utilized, so if the cost is close to what the insurance company will accept, the shop might lower their fee to meet the insurance.
>>
>>17729546
Where do you learn this shit?
>>
>>17729588
Not the guy you are replying to but he's either like me (a vendor) or works in a body shop or for an insurance company. Or did at some point.
>>
File: self-driving_electric_cars.jpg (80KB, 1200x848px) Image search: [Google]
self-driving_electric_cars.jpg
80KB, 1200x848px
>>17729546
>so you see a $58,000 to $68,000 fee for those Tesla cases

Tesla Model S Total Repair Cost $92,000 with itemized bodyshop appraisal list:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cost-of-repair-crazy-high.26326/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4078795-tesla-cars-easy-total-expensive-repair

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/01/05/model-s-owner-owing-tesla-awesome-get-accident/

http://insideevs.com/dont-wreck-your-tesla-model-s-because-repairs-are-supposedly-costly-and-time-consuming/
>>
>>17729588
>Where do you learn this shit?
The next time you take your car to a body shop, see if you can strike up a conversation with someone that works there.
>>
>>17729546
>tesla adhesives
wait why though. what's wrong with regular welding?
>>
>>17732137
to expensive maybe, or sometimes parts are to complicated to weld, like extremely thin light metal. not unusual nowadays.
>>
>>17732137
>what's wrong with regular welding?
There was a documentary series How It's Made Dream Cars and one of those shows was about Tesla. It showed how both welds and adhesives were used for the aluminum unibody style chassis. Big parts and small parts used various combinations. But the end result is that you have a unibody that is like a "jigsaw" of choices. I don't mean jigsaw of parts (although it is) but a jigsaw of either welds or adhesive.

Think of a jigsaw puzzle as a metaphor. Replace each jigsaw piece with a symbol for weld or adhesive join. Lots of your weld and adhesive pieces also have a few dots on them from your magic marker signifying rivets. The tesla uses lots of rivets. Looks neat and sophisticated. Now, you have that rectangular jigsaw puzzle assembled on your tabletop and it is a mass of weld symbols and adhesive symbols. Whack the side of the rectangle emulating the car getting T-boned.

You now have a hopeless mess of broken welds and adhesive joins. And most pieces are not steel but ALUMINUM. Aluminum stretches and deforms. It doesn't have the memory of steel which is why PDR works on steel but not as well on aluminum. It doesn't bend back like steel does. And a lot of rivets have been torn loose from aluminum. Rivet holes in aluminum are quite different from rivet holes in steel in terms of repairing.
>>
>>17732172
>too expensive maybe
Basically, the Tesla car chassis were made without regard for repairability. It's why AAA auto was going to raise rates another 30%. Some insurance companies like Hartford Auto refuse to accept new Tesla insurance customers in those states that allow them to refuse.

Tesla is going to have to re-design their car chassis to be repairable at reasonable cost. Otherwise, insurance is going to give up on Tesla or charge some huge fee.
>>
>>17727120
Let's get a greentext story of the incident.
>>
>>17727120
>about how much will this cost to fix?
What is the car and where is the damage?
>>
>>17732137

Even cars as far back as the 90s used adhesives at least on rocker covers and the like. Its pretty much the only way you can get a guaranteed waterproof connection. Also cars with that use a mixture of both aluminium and steel need to be bonded with adhesives.
>>
>>17732586
>>17732586
This.
>>
>>17727120
more than u can afford pal
>>
>>17735353
>Its pretty much the only way you can get a guaranteed waterproof connection.
Adhesives were used in places to be waterproofed. And there were steel and aluminum pieces. Since it has a lot of rivets, any collision is going to make a mess of the Tesla chassis. I'm glad I have enough insurance to cover hitting Teslas in a chain reaction.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.