[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil life monitors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

Does anyone actually follow their oil life monitor?

Mine is telling me that I have 10% oil life left after 2400 miles. In my basic K24 NA Accord.

I just fucking changed my oil less than 3 months ago with Pennzoil Ultra Platinumâ„¢ and a FRAM Ultraâ„¢ filter. It drops like 10% per week.
>>
They're usually incredibly conservative and based on a lot of guesswork from engine data rather than actual sampling of the oil.
>>
Drops 10% per week because you put a fram filter on it.
>>
I can tell this is going to be a full thread about when is best to change your oil lmao. I've never seen one of those monitors and don't know how they would work, maybe it runs off of oil pressure + viscosity somehow. I change my oil every 3000kms or 3 months which is a bit much, but your monitor seems to be working well enough.
>>
>>17726283
Are you driving it hard or in a lot of stop and go traffic? The computer takes that into account when deciding how much oil life you have left.

I'd still get a Blackstone oil analysis and go by what they say though. My car doesn't have an oil life monitor but they said 5k on Castrol edge high mileage with a Wix XP filter, so that's what I'm gonna do.
>>
>>17726319
I redline it maybe once a day and I'm in a bit of stop and go traffic, but I'm also not very hard on the car because I still manage to get 27mpg which is above what the car is rated for. The car is warmed up the entire day, but I stop and start the car probably 20-30x a day.
>>
>>17726317
>3000kms

Nigga are you crazy? Modern synthetic blend oil is good up to 5 times that.
>>
idk if I can trust mine. I do it every 5k which doesn't say much since the car only has 18k miles on it currently. Using full synthetic.
I could probably do 10k and quit being an idiot.
>>
>>17726283
I am concerned for my mercedes I do it by the intervals but it's close to 10,000mi but I put redline in should I change it?
>>
>>17726283
Because of amazing german engineering, my car doesn't have a dipstick. The onboard instruments on my BMW are actually pretty accurate according to the mechanics.
>>
>>17726283
Only some newer cars use sensors that actually analyze the oil. Otherwise it's literally just a timer.
>>
>>17726338
I just use cheap shit I buy in 5gal buckets for ~70. Even with the amount of times I change the oil it only costs about $2000 throughout the life of the vehicle. I do own multiple vehicle so a few of them reach 3 months before the 3000km.
>>
>>17726283
>fram filter
Holy shit how did it last 2400 miles?
>>
>>17726337
>stops and starts car 20-30x a day
Unless it has that auto stop start bullshit why would you do this??
>>
>>17726429
because I'm delivering pizza and people take like 5 minutes to come to the fucking door every time I leave my car idling, or it simply isn't an option because I have to go too far on foot and someone will steal my accord
>>
>>17726375
k then.
>>
>FRAM
>ever

Please change that thing.
It's for your own good.
>>
>>17727266
FRAM Ultra is a god tier filter with a metal mesh inside and excellent filter rate along with one of the best cold start oil pressures. It's not the same as the orange cans of death.
>>
>>17726450
Get a second key made and lock the door when you're out.
>>
>>17727304
It's still worse to have the car idling for 10min ruining the engines cylinder walls and shit, idling is not good for a car. Nevermind the waste of gas.

Things like starters are cheap and are covered under warranty.
>>
>>17727304
If it's got a separate remote fob you could put the fob on a carabiner so you can leave the key inside with it running and quickly disconnect the remote when getting out.
>>
>>17727308
BULL FUCKING SHIT ! Idling your car 10 minutes IS better than restarting the car , the fuel consumption is nothing
>>
File: checking the oil fashioned way.jpg (13KB, 300x193px) Image search: [Google]
checking the oil fashioned way.jpg
13KB, 300x193px
How about you just do it the old fashioned communist way and look at your oil and see if its dirty or not? There are so many automated and set in stone rules and gauges, but in my opinion my family, theyre really not that useful unless you dont really know what youre doing automotive wise

Hope you enjoy this info /o/, because when someone else makes this same thread 3 days from now, im not gonna answer it. Im not answering any of your dumbass beginner questions over and over lol
>>
>>17727682
My oil looks like #6 after 500 miles. Do I change my oil every 500 miles?
>>
I was told in another thread that engine starts when the car is at operating temp put very little wear on the engine--it's the cold starts that do it. You guys disagree?
>>
>>17727741
Yes. That's right. When you warm start the engine the parts are still coated with a layer of oil as well.
>>
>>17727693
thats where you fuck up, by measuring oil changes by miles instead of the quality or clarity of the oil being used. A vehicle may need an oil change maybe once a year, maybe even longer. Another vehicle may need an oil change once a month. It all depends on how quickly your oil becomes dirty, NOT by how many miles youve run the oil.
>>
>>17727757
The thing is oil goes black from heat. My oil will go black after 1 tank of gas if I beat on it.

https://youtu.be/g7Tc-YkJRx

Do you think the oil in this video should be changed because it's full of contaminants from being in a flask for 5 minutes?
>>
>>17727776
....or you can not change your oil and have a fucked engine. You seem to be leaning towards that. I mean, burnt oil is effective right? Fuckin /o/tards
>>
>>17727787
Yeah. I'll change my synthetic oil every tank of gas then.

Jesus fuck.
>>
>>17727693
diesel?
>>
>>17727817
VTAK
>>
File: me irl.jpg (41KB, 540x532px) Image search: [Google]
me irl.jpg
41KB, 540x532px
>>17727798
>>17727819
Your shitty honda's engine oil is looking that burnt after a tank of gas, and youre trying this hard to keep yourself from changing your oil?

Yall are so fuckin dumb, im outta here. no more /o/ for me
>>
My k24 accord made it 6-8k miles before the "oil life" hit 10%. It may well be your stop/starts; cold starts and short driving intervals that dont raise your engine to operating temp will shorten the lifespan of your oil.
Do you get the fancy new nanny tracking advert toppers for your pizza delivery?
>>
>>17727837
Because it's a waste of money? The engine has 40k miles on it, the previous owner changed oil every 3k and I have the documentation.

Redlining the engine a few times a day for 2 days will turn the oil black.

I guess I'll get oil analysis done at some point.

>>17727839
The coolant temperature (I have an addon HUD) is almost always at the same temperature when I get in the car so it should be at temp.

I don't have any topper or even a uniform.
>>
File: 1500153959515.jpg (24KB, 400x465px) Image search: [Google]
1500153959515.jpg
24KB, 400x465px
Ignore oil life

Check colour and level of oil

If your car doesn't have a dipstick, sell the pos

Conventional oil lasts 5000km

Semi synthetic lasts 7000-8000 km

Synthetic lasts 10-15k km

/thread
>>
>>17728300
>Conventional oil lasts 5000km
>Semi synthetic lasts 7000-8000 km
>Synthetic lasts 10-15k km
That depends on:
1. engine
2. profile of use
3. ambient temperature
4. age of engine
>>
Anyone who goes by the colour of their oil as an indicator of its condition should be forced to drive a twizy for the rest of their lives.

Diesels especially will darken the oil after about 300 miles, petrol in about 1000 miles. I would be much more concerned if my oil was still golden when it was changed since it would be holding fuck all in suspension.
>>
>>17726317
It's just a timer it goes off after 5k, 10k or whatever is the recommendation to change
>>
>>17726283
>Does anyone actually follow their oil life monitor?
They do seem to have logic behind them beyond the claims by some people they are just timers. Mine supposedly uses many factors including temperature, how hard the engine was run, the load on the engine. and the type of driving such as stop/start, city, and highway mileages.

I did notice the percentage dropped a lot more than usual after I attended an /o/ meet with lots of hooning. The percentage drop off also matched the visual oil changes too. Normally, the oil would not have changed that much in color. But it was quite noticeably darker after the meet. Therefore, I have some confidence that the oil life monitor in my car works as it coincided with the visual changes in the oil.
>>
My car has an oil life monitor yet no fuel monitor.

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>17726421
Honda uses FRAM filters
>>
I burn 1 quart every 1000 miles, so I'm replacing the entire volume of oil once in between my changes.
I could probably go forever and just screw on a new filter every now ant then
>>
>>17726283
Did you reset the computer clock?
I changed my oil last month and I got the 15% oil life light on this saturday despite my oil being physically fine because I didn't reset the oil clock
>>
>>17729720
You still want to change the oil because as it drains out, any sludgey sediment that has settled to the bottom of the oil pan will come out.
>>
>>17727640
At least the car is still warm, so it could be worse.
>>
>>17726283
it probably goes by a 3000 mile change

there is nothing there monitoring the quality of your oil
>>
>>17729955
More like 7k intervals. OP is just an idiot and is constantly shutting off and starting his car dozens of times a day without getting it to proper operating temperatures

What can you expect from a Pizza delivery boy?
>>
oil dipstick is broken. the metal piece is stuck in the tube.

I don't want to remove the tube out completely, I have to unloose parts to get to it. If I cut 2 inches off of the top, would it do any harm ?

>97 civic... no bullies please
>>
>>17727308

>It's still worse to have the car idling for 10min ruining the engines cylinder walls and shit, idling is not good for a car.

That's primarily a diesel problem and it's called wet stacking.

You see it more with pump controlled injectors or any scenario where the injectors are firing too rich.

>>17727851
>Redlining the engine a few times a day for 2 days will turn the oil black.

You got some other problems you might want to look into
>>
File: 1440306339149.png (30KB, 633x758px)
1440306339149.png
30KB, 633x758px
>>17726283
I used to valet cars

Drive $15K to 30k sedans

0% oil life remaining

Bring their car to them

Hey you might want to check/change your oil

Middle aged to old women "Oh I'll get around to it"
>>
>>17729973
I'm driving up mountains all day in 104'F heat, the car is parked no longer than 15 minutes at a time. It's definitely at operating temperature.
>>
>>17730356

>I'm driving up mountains all day in 104'F heat

Then your oil minder is probably right, and you should change your oil soon.

Just switch to the cheapest dino juice you can find and change it once a month if that's your normal driving routine.
>>
>>17729973
>constantly shutting off and starting his car dozens of times a day
Doing that a lot means the oil is also diluted not just by the fuel, but also by the combustion byproduct vapors that get absorbed. While fuel and water is evaporated by the hot oil, some of those combustion byproducts take a lot longer to drive off.
>>
File: sludgey.conventional.oil.jpg (205KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sludgey.conventional.oil.jpg
205KB, 810x1080px
>>17730477
>Doing that a lot means the oil is also diluted
That's called Crankcase Dilution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_dilution
>>
OP here, changed my oil with $19 motomaster synthetic
>>
>>17730588
Also i was completely wrong, the last oil change was 8k km ago so the oil minder is right.
>>
File: kys.jpg (33KB, 650x326px) Image search: [Google]
kys.jpg
33KB, 650x326px
>>17726283
>he wants his car to think for him

millenials were a mistake
>>
>>17730588
>OP here, changed my oil with $19 motomaster synthetic
Your local walmart may also have competitively-priced full synthetic oils in 5-quart jugs. The famous name-brand oils all have good additive packages. Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, and Quaker State full synthetic are approx $24 for 5 quarts at my walmart as of last week.
>>
>>17730899
Motomaster stuff is made by shell and basically pennzoil platinum
>>
>>17730945
But without the pennzoil additive package.
>>
>>17726283
No, the comp in my e46 m3 starts at "25000km" left, which is extremely optimistic.
I usually change oil and filter every 8k.
>>
>>17727682
My full synthetic oil gets dark too fast for your color chart to be usable. It's a new car so engine wear can't be the issue. And I've used the different full synthetic oils of mobil1, valvoline, quaker state, and pennzoil. All of them seem to get to your #6 at 1000 miles when I look at the oil on the dipstick. You need to qualify your color chart I think. Such as how thick is is the oil sample in a rectangular examination tube and not a round test tube. And the intensity and distance of the light source needs to be specified as incandescent and LED lights yield different results when reflecting or being shined through from the other side.

As it is, your chart has me changing oil probably between the range of 800 to 1000 miles for a new engine using full synthetic oil and running on top tier arco detergent gasoline.
>>
>>17726283
Mine seems to go off like clockwork at 10k miles, But No i don't follow it. I keep track of my mileage
>>
I just put in some new semi-synth oil every 10,000km.

Wow, so difficult.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.